What's new

Henson Razor Club.

With either of mine, when it feels like it is just wiping off the soap is when it is the most efficient. That is counter intuitive, I know. When I get the angle right on my medium I never have to do three passes. When I feel the blade the most is when the razor is not at optimum. That is my experience and yours may not be the same. I had to relearn to shave with the Henson.

Had a Dan Aykroyd/Julia Child from SNL incident with my Hanson titanium last night. I couldn’t get the handle loose, so I grabbed it by the corners of the guard and when it let go the blade sliced deep into my thumb.

I need to come up with a better way to do this.
The brass post and the tungsten female don't seem to mate well for smooth threading.
Mine seems to bind and I also find it hard to unscrew unless I clean and oil the threads often.
I think it's a case of two different metals with different properties.

The brass post and the tungsten female don't seem to mate well for smooth threading.
Mine seems to bind and I also find it hard to unscrew unless I clean and oil the threads often.
Huh. I had no idea the post on the Ti model was brass. I wonder why they did it that way? If I had the ti model I’d use a little ti anti-seize. I’ve still got a little tube of that around from the weight weenie wars in my cycling days.

Huh. I had no idea the post on the Ti model was brass. I wonder why they did it that way? If I had the ti model I’d use a little ti anti-seize. I’ve still got a little tube of that around from the weight weenie wars in my cycling days.
Where did you get that?
They use brass because Ti on Ti binds or seizes. I wonder if using a No. 2 pencil on the threads would work like it does on a lock face of a Ti knife?

Where did you get that?
They use brass because Ti on Ti binds or seizes. I wonder if using a No. 2 pencil on the threads would work like it does on a lock face of a Ti knife?
Probably so. Perhaps also graphite powder sold as a lock dry lube. The anti-seize came with a set of ti crank bolts I used with a set of Topline cranks. Scary light! 😏

Try rubbing the threads with a #2 pencil. That will likely work until it is broken in. I will check that out, myself, once my razor comes in a day or two.

One thing about Henson is that they don't recommend disassembling the razor and cleaning it each time it is used. They say to just rinse it well and let it dry. I place mine so that any water runs out of the head and after a bit put it back in the stand. This is different from Zamax, Stainless, or brass razors.

One thing about Henson is that they don't recommend disassembling the razor and cleaning it each time it is used. They say to just rinse it well and let it dry. I place mine so that any water runs out of the head and after a bit put it back in the stand. This is different from Zamax, Stainless, or brass razors.
Do you leave the blade in the head between uses, too?

Do you leave the blade in the head between uses, too?
Yes, as long as it is a stainless blade. Here is what Henson says in their FAQ:

"Best practice is to thoroughly rinse the razor under water after each shave. No need to fully disassemble after each shave. Be sure to store your Henson in a dry place; we don't suggest storing in the shower.

Replace the blade every 3-5 shaves and when you disassemble to do so we suggest a light cleaning. You can use a soft bristled toothbrush and water, soap or mild cleaning solution if you wish. Dry and place a new blade in."

This is what I do. When I change the blade, then I clean it. I shake the water out of my razor as much as possible and then I set my razor on its side, standing on the end so water will run out. After a while, I put it on the razor stand, once I think it is dry. This does not take too long. Far easier care than my other razors.

Ti22 1.JPG

Ti22 3.JPG

Well, I got my Henson Ti22 titanium medium today. What a beautiful razor! It is rather shiny where the lazer cuts are on the handle, and the rest is a nice softly gleaming polish. It is not the dull titanium grey like is often seen on knives. It is a beautiful razor.

Shave: As soon as I got it I disinfected it and washed it. I put a hot steamy towel on my face while I lathered up the bowl and brush. I popped a Feather blade in the razor and then made a pass down my cheek. OMG! Going down my face it was slicker than snot on a door knob! That polished Ti seemed to glide down my face. The whole shave was like that. The weight of the razor really helped. It is twice as heavy as the aluminum version, so I did not use pressure. I just let the weight of the razor do the work. I got a fantastic shave. I am not saying this to be a fan boy. I would be critical if I thought there was merit. But, this razor gave me one of the best shaves I have ever gotten in two passes. The shave was extremely smooth, no dragging, tugging, sticking, or anything. I got no irritations. It is so efficient that I accidentally shaved through part of my thick mustache without realizing it and took it down to the skin in one stroke. Well, it will grow back.

Finish: I have already mentioned how it is nicely finished. The photos don't do it justice. It is a really good looking razor. It is as good as it could be. The lazer cuts really pick up the light and sparkle. The handle is a bit more polished than the head, as can be seen. The head has a nice, semi-gloss, well-polished, smooth finish that wants to glide across the surface of my face.

The handle looks smooth in the pictures, but in reality, it is not. Those bands are actually raised and those lazer cuts are very sharp. It sticks in my hand as good as any knurling, even with soap.

Fit: The fit, too, is what you'd expect from Henson. It is tight and perfect. I had zero issues with the brass threads. Unscrewing and screwing in the handle was smooth, like butter. Very nice, indeed. They use brass threads that screw into a tungsten insert because Ti on Ti can gall and stick.

This is a truly high tech razor and it shows in the workmanship as well as the overall design.

I am a happy camper. I have no buyers remorse and no regrets. This razor is worth every penny (to me it is).
Ti22 2.JPG

Anyhow I did a three pass shave with touch ups for a BBS shave with no irritation at all. I think it highly likely that this razor will unseat my Rockwell 6S as my daily driver.
Can you elaborate more on this claim: where does the Henson have the edge? Which 6S plate replicates the Henson best?

View attachment 1399170

View attachment 1399172

Well, I got my Henson Ti22 titanium medium today. What a beautiful razor! It is rather shiny where the lazer cuts are on the handle, and the rest is a nice softly gleaming polish. It is not the dull titanium grey like is often seen on knives. It is a beautiful razor.

Shave: As soon as I got it I disinfected it and washed it. I put a hot steamy towel on my face while I lathered up the bowl and brush. I popped a Feather blade in the razor and then made a pass down my cheek. OMG! Going down my face it was slicker than snot on a door knob! That polished Ti seemed to glide down my face. The whole shave was like that. The weight of the razor really helped. It is twice as heavy as the aluminum version, so I did not use pressure. I just let the weight of the razor do the work. I got a fantastic shave. I am not saying this to be a fan boy. I would be critical if I thought there was merit. But, this razor gave me one of the best shaves I have ever gotten in two passes. The shave was extremely smooth, no dragging, tugging, sticking, or anything. I got no irritations. It is so efficient that I accidentally shaved through part of my thick mustache without realizing it and took it down to the skin in one stroke. Well, it will grow back.

Finish: I have already mentioned how it is nicely finished. The photos don't do it justice. It is a really good looking razor. It is as good as it could be. The lazer cuts really pick up the light and sparkle. The handle is a bit more polished than the head, as can be seen. The head has a nice, semi-gloss, well-polished, smooth finish that wants to glide across the surface of my face.

The handle looks smooth in the pictures, but in reality, it is not. Those bands are actually raised and those lazer cuts are very sharp. It sticks in my hand as good as any knurling, even with soap.

Fit: The fit, too, is what you'd expect from Henson. It is tight and perfect. I had zero issues with the brass threads. Unscrewing and screwing in the handle was smooth, like butter. Very nice, indeed. They use brass threads that screw into a tungsten insert because Ti on Ti can gall and stick.

This is a truly high tech razor and it shows in the workmanship as well as the overall design.

I am a happy camper. I have no buyers remorse and no regrets. This razor is worth every penny (to me it is).View attachment 1399171
Where did you get that stand?

I noticed something today. One of the reasons why I change the blade after 4 or 5 shaves is that when I open the razor, I typically see some corrosion on the blade after 4 or 5 shaves. Modern or vintage, zamak or plated brass, cream or soap, it's always the same. Doesn't even matter if the blade has those wax spots or not. I just learned to live with it.

On the Henson, the blade shows no signs of rust after 4 shaves. As with all my razors, I just rinse it under the tap after I shave then leave it to dry on a shelf before storing it in my medicine cabinet. Not sure if the aluminum or anodizing has anything to do with it. Hardly a mind-blowing thing but it is something I've never seen before.

Go for it. Worst case a mod “provides guidance.”
I've never seen mods get upset posting a link here and there, in proper context ("where did you buy that" or "does anyone still sell one of these").

It's just abusive posting, which could be perceived as promoting a vendor who isn't a b&b vendor, that they're likely to correct.

Not to mention, we're in the dungeon... We're way off the grid. Google searches cannot see posts in clubs.

Top Bottom