What's new

Henson Al13 Is Worth The Hype

My normal shaving regimen of loaded Henson Ti mild with a vintage Wilkinson UK blade and PAA cube pre-shave feels like shaving on ice. The razor just glides effortlessly without worry of cutting myself. This is shaving on cheat-mode.
I consider the Cube one of the best shaving products in my shave den. The slickness of the Cube is unmatched, it's remarkable really. When I am in a hurry, I just use the Cube as my shave soap. Rub the cube on my face and aggressively rub it with my wet hands then shave. Plenty of residual slickness that you don't need to apply it again on the second pass. If I had one shave soap to use the rest of my life it would be the unscented Cube.

I think I have around 5 Hensons, so that says what I think about them.
You aren't alone! I have all levels of the AL 13 version 1. I have all levels of aggression in the AL 13 V2. I have a Ti22 mild v2 and a Ti22 v2 aggressive. It is ridiculous I know, but I love this razor like I love my Karve Overlander. I also have 3 Overlanders.

I have sold one Henson Mild and family members essentially own a couple of mine now.

I went to poker night one night and my buddy was complaining how he didn't like to shave often. He said he was tired of his mach3 clogging and tugging. He said he had to use his electric first to mow down the growth then use the mach3. He said he also hates the tugging or pulls he gets from his electric. I told him I can solve his problems entirely and said I will bring him a gift next week at poker night. I told him not to shave for a week. This guy is Greek and has a thick course beard.

The next week I brought him my Proraso Green shave soap (puck), RR Big Bruce shave brush, the last quarter bottle of my thayers, an assortment of blade tucks, and my Henson AL 13 mild. I sent him a link on how to shave (below). I told him to try the Astra SP blade first. I also told him to not hold the scent of Proraso Green against the soap because it makes a great lather. He chuckled and said that all seems a bit complicated for something so simple. I said try it, if you don't like it I will pick the stuff up next card night.

How to shave:

He called the next morning after his shave and said he has never experienced anything like it. He could not believe how easily the razor removed his growth with no clogging. He could not believe the lather generated by the shave soap and how good it felt, even though it smells bad. He asked me if he could buy the razor off me and I said of course. He was shocked by the cost of the razor, but was amazed how cheap everything else was.

About a year later he is using the same razor, Astra SP blades, Big Bruce, Thayers, Arko sticks, and Nivea. He cannot believe how cheap shaving is and how much he likes it. He asked me why I have so many razors and soaps. I simply said...I don't know. He has zero interest in going down the rabbit hole. As far as he is concerned, he has the products he likes and that's what he is going to continue using. I gave him one of my shave bowls for his Arko https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW7S1RZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
He is correct, Proof Razor. Smooth mild shaver so far, only used Nacet to this point. Plan was to use it for head shaves once I work up the courage to try it.
Do you have the first version of this razor as well? I'm curious if they shave that differently. I do have the first version.

You aren't alone! I have all levels of the AL 13 version 1. I have all levels of aggression in the AL 13 V2. I have a Ti22 mild v2 and a Ti22 v2 aggressive. It is ridiculous I know, but I love this razor like I love my Karve Overlander. I also have 3 Overlanders.

How would you compare the Henson (any version) to the Overlander?

Just received a Henson Al13 medium in the mail yesterday and this morning was my maiden voyage. All I can say is ...wow!!! Super smooth both with the grain and against. I used it with a Dorco Prime blade and couldn't be more pleased. I think I have found my new favorite.

You got, you like saying wow? Now you question worth hype.

Makes zero sense❓

I do not have the first version so cant compare.

For the Overlander, it is super smooth. So smooth and yet efficient I added a SS version. I like variety otherwise an Overlander could be my solo razor. I'm too "Oh, Squirrel!!!" to settle on one. I only have one updated Henson razor, the rest are old ones but the updated Henson Ti +++ would fall in the solo category too.

Overlanderx2.png

I have sold one Henson Mild and family members essentially own a couple of mine now.

I went to poker night one night and my buddy was complaining how he didn't like to shave often. He said he was tired of his mach3 clogging and tugging. He said he had to use his electric first to mow down the growth then use the mach3. He said he also hates the tugging or pulls he gets from his electric. I told him I can solve his problems entirely and said I will bring him a gift next week at poker night. I told him not to shave for a week. This guy is Greek and has a thick course beard.

The next week I brought him my Proraso Green shave soap (puck), RR Big Bruce shave brush, the last quarter bottle of my thayers, an assortment of blade tucks, and my Henson AL 13 mild. I sent him a link on how to shave (below). I told him to try the Astra SP blade first. I also told him to not hold the scent of Proraso Green against the soap because it makes a great lather. He chuckled and said that all seems a bit complicated for something so simple. I said try it, if you don't like it I will pick the stuff up next card night.

How to shave:

He called the next morning after his shave and said he has never experienced anything like it. He could not believe how easily the razor removed his growth with no clogging. He could not believe the lather generated by the shave soap and how good it felt, even though it smells bad. He asked me if he could buy the razor off me and I said of course. He was shocked by the cost of the razor, but was amazed how cheap everything else was.

About a year later he is using the same razor, Astra SP blades, Big Bruce, Thayers, Arko sticks, and Nivea. He cannot believe how cheap shaving is and how much he likes it. He asked me why I have so many razors and soaps. I simply said...I don't know. He has zero interest in going down the rabbit hole. As far as he is concerned, he has the products he likes and that's what he is going to continue using. I gave him one of my shave bowls for his Arko https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW7S1RZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great story for sure, good on you! But Arko?! :letterk1: Must be related to @FarmerTan! (Just joking with you, Dave!)

How to shave:

That's great. The best way to convert people and deliver them from bondage is to loan a razor. (now we need to get you into a straight razor ;) Just kidding)

Great story for sure, good on you! But Arko?! :letterk1: Must be related to @FarmerTan! (Just joking with you, Dave!)
He really didn't like the scent of Proraso green, but he loved the lather. He didn't want to spend a lot of money on shaving, so he asked me if he could try anything that is cheap with a good lather. Of course Arko came to mind so I gave him a stick. He actually enjoys the scent and he said it lathers great for him. So another Arko fan was born 🤣

He really didn't like the scent of Proraso green, but he loved the lather. He didn't want to spend a lot of money on shaving, so he asked me if he could try anything that is cheap with a good lather. Of course Arko came to mind so I gave him a stick. He actually enjoys the scent and he said it lathers great for him. So another Arko fan was born 🤣
Tell him about Cella Red.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You my friend are both a gentleman AND a skolar!!!

Top Bottom