What's new

Hen And Rooster

While I was down in Southern IL. I went out looking for some razors. There was a knife shop there that sold new Hen and Rooster razors. They were marked made in Spain.

Anyone have dealings with these razors?

I saw that too but it clearly had been marked Spain on the tang. As far as I can tell Dovo doesn't have a plant in Spain.

Interesting. Well, they seem to get good marks anyhow. Not that I'd know a good str8 from another. Nice looking equipent tho. Looks like they also make pocket knives.

To make a long story short Hen and Rooster was a cutlery outfit going back way into the 1800s and the real pieces are marked Bertrum. They made some of the finest knives ever made in factory production. The company was bought out by AG Russell Knives who continued to make knives there and sometime in the 1970s or 80s they went into bankruptcy and ceased to exist. After that a long line of outfits bought the name and used it to pedal cheap knives. The last I heard the name was owned by Frost Knives here in the U.S and they were selling cheap knives with the name. I think at some point one of the owners was using Dovo to make razors with the H&R name.

To make a long story short Hen and Rooster was a cutlery outfit going back way into the 1800s and the real pieces are marked Bertrum. They made some of the finest knives ever made in factory production. The company was bought out by AG Russell Knives who continued to make knives there and sometime in the 1970s or 80s they went into bankruptcy and ceased to exist. After that a long line of outfits bought the name and used it to pedal cheap knives. The last I heard the name was owned by Frost Knives here in the U.S and they were selling cheap knives with the name. I think at some point one of the owners was using Dovo to make razors with the H&R name.

yup -now it's a Frost brand. I'm not sure about the razors, but the knives are not so great.

Fast forward a buncha years:

Early last year I was looking around at Hen & Rooster straight razors. All I knew about the company was from decades ago when I saw them at gun shows. They had quality knives at reasonable prices. The straight razors I found at all the on-line knife shops indicated the straights were now made in Spain. I did find a seller showing their stock with Solingen, Germany etched on the blade. I contacted the seller & they assured me theirs were all Solingen, so I ordered one. An unmarked (Spain) delivered to me. I contacted them and alluded to their illiteracy, illigatimacy, retardation and a bunch'a other uncomplimentary deficiencies & that I wanted the German one they had found in stock in their warehouse. Several days later another razor arrived - an E-mail assured me it would be coming & it would be marked Solingen. It was the same unmarked blade as the first. I demanded a refund and a call tag to mail them back & they indicted they wanted the most recent one sent back. Got the refund. Also got stuck with the initial Spanish made with green picked bone handle. Those scales are about the cheapest & ugliest thing going. Their "shave ready" was already met with skepticism and I had my stones at hand. It was difficult to actually set an edge on the tough stainless blade. I've only honed a dozen or so blades & never had any problem, so I'm pointing the finger at the Hen and Rooster blade, while proclaiming that it's inferior ¢rap. My cheap-o Gold Dollar #208 honed quicker & easier.

The Hen & Rooster got dumped into my project & spare parts box to deal with someday when there's nothing to do on a rainy day ...

Top Bottom