What's new

Help with Leresche Razors

Hi. I have a Leresche Razor that weights 68grams. Can someone with knowledge of the Leresche line-up of DE Razors tell me which set this Razor belongs too? This Razor came to me as belonging to the #51 Set. Other owners of this set have Razors that weigh 76grams. Its a great shaver even at the lighter weight. I'm just confused as to why mine is lighter. Thanks for your help.
82637289_2964778720199925_6074674539415994368_o.jpg
Leresche weight.jpg

If I'm not wrong the #51 Set may have been sold with two different Razors. Both with a '501 mount' but with different handles. The #51 Luxe Set having a Razor with a weight of 78grams. And the #51 Set with a Razor, again a '501 mount', on a thinner handle weighing 68grams. Was it sold in the exact same case? Hoping @Cha-wing!! has the answer.

A message from Thomas.. a Leresche Collector from France:

Hi Peter, don't worry it is also confusing for me :D There are several things to take into account. Your razor IS a 501, but depending on finish, and on the year it was made (impossible to know without an original invoice), that mount had some slight differences.

I have weighed some of mine and while most are 69 or 77 grams, there are some rare birds at 65, 75 and 80 ! Normally, if we follow the few catalogues and pricelists, 69 grams is for the basic version, and 77 for the luxury sets.

The problem to identifying precisely sets and mounts, is that it was common for Leresche to mix and match cases, because the end consumer likes this case but prefers a lighter razor.

Tiny discrepancies can be explained by the era : shortages of materials would mean lighter or shorter razors. But it can also be explained by the human factor : George is at the machine today, he makes them light (75-77), while Roger makes them heavier (77-80).

Further elements make it more difficult : one set was sold with a shorter razor (end knob is the obvious tell), and in the last years the models were chromed, not silver-plated. This means the layers of metal underneath might have changed to adapt to the new techniques. And this explodes the identifying process we try to establish into even more things to think about.

If you need anything else let me know ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

A message from Thomas.. a Leresche Collector from France:

Hi Peter, don't worry it is also confusing for me :D There are several things to take into account. Your razor IS a 501, but depending on finish, and on the year it was made (impossible to know without an original invoice), that mount had some slight differences.

I have weighed some of mine and while most are 69 or 77 grams, there are some rare birds at 65, 75 and 80 ! Normally, if we follow the few catalogues and pricelists, 69 grams is for the basic version, and 77 for the luxury sets.

The problem to identifying precisely sets and mounts, is that it was common for Leresche to mix and match cases, because the end consumer likes this case but prefers a lighter razor.

Tiny discrepancies can be explained by the era : shortages of materials would mean lighter or shorter razors. But it can also be explained by the human factor : George is at the machine today, he makes them light (75-77), while Roger makes them heavier (77-80).

Further elements make it more difficult : one set was sold with a shorter razor (end knob is the obvious tell), and in the last years the models were chromed, not silver-plated. This means the layers of metal underneath might have changed to adapt to the new techniques. And this explodes the identifying process we try to establish into even more things to think about.

If you need anything else let me know ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

Great information!! Thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm Thomas, by the way :D Glad you could find me elsewhere ^^ My website is still up but has changed its address : Accueil | LerescheArchive - https://ossbrocante.wixsite.com/lereschearchive

And Wix wouldn't let me make a redirection... Sorry for the confusion.
Hey Thomas. Thanks for the Web Site. I read through all the descriptions of all the various Leresche Models. Very interesting. I wish I had learn more about the #51 before I purchased mine. Mine is lighter and I really wanted the heavier Lux model. I can always sell, but I still would like to find the 51 Lux Razor at 78grams. It would be nice if we could, from this day forward, refer to the heavy Lux 51 as #52!. I can't image those Leresche blade blanks will be easy to find without having to purchase an entire box. Thanks again for the Web Site.

My pleasure ;) And we will keep an eye opened ! I go visit a collector friend in 10 days, I know he has a lot blade banks, maybe he has some for you. I'll be sure to check !

Top Bottom