What's new

Help with Irritation

I’m fairly new to wet shaving. My shaves are getting better and better, and my face is getting softer and softer. Sadly, there are two problem spots on my neck that seem to keep getting irritated no matter what I do. Has anyone out there experienced this? How did you fix it?

Here’s my setup if it helps.
Omega Boar Brush
Cella shave soap
Proraso green pre-shave
Nivea sensitive skin post-shave balm
Edwin Jagger de89
Astra SP
Tried Feather, as suspected, more irritation
Personna lab blues on the way

Thanks!

Tigg

Welcome to the forums!

I too struggled with the right side of my neck for a very long time after taking to DE razors, soaps and using a brush.

My problem was not so much with the razors or the technique, but truly knowing how to attack that area in terms of the way hair grows. Once I figured out that I’m simply unable to go true WTG on that side and settled with two passes XTG (south to north)with the least resistance and also accepted that a CCS/DFS in that area is probably the best I’ll get without irritation, my shaves improved quite a bit.

The other thing I’ve changed is I’ve gradually moved towards SE razors, as I have found the thicker blades are more to my liking.

I know everyone is different and there will be lots of good advice given to you, and hope this helps a little.

Good luck and enjoy the shaves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a spot on my neck that I struggle with quite often. Maybe if you get a chance to map your beard you might have better results. Beard mapping should be found in the Shave Wiki.

You are either shaving ATG on your neck (a no no for most), using pressure or taking too many passes on the irritated areas.

If it's only two spots, then you probably have two spots on your neck that do not have the same grain direction (growth direction) as the rest of your neck. Some of us are unlucky in that sense. And make sure that your angle is correct. Incorrect angle can be the difference between irritated skin and surprisingly smooth, irritation free skin.

Nice setup!

Sadly, there are two problem spots on my neck that seem to keep getting irritated no matter what I do.

Don't shave for 3-4 days. Feel with your fingers the direction of the stubble growth and remember to not shave against the grain in that troubled area. Next couple of weeks will show a gradual improvement.

Beard mapping is key to your issue. Mine grows 3 different directions on the right side of my neck. The jaw line is one way, the middle another way and the bottom, collarbone area even another. Once I figured this out, I get very close to daily bbs shave with little to no irritation. Also, for me, trying a slant razor made worlds of difference. I’ll never shave with another kind of razor again.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I went through something similar last year. I finally got to a point where I was able to consistently get good shaves with a Merkur 34C and some of the Gillette 7 O’clock blades and then I got a Karve and went through the whole process again :-(.

My only explanation is that it just took me time to hone my technique - specifically, my ability to control pressure, angle and smoothness of stroke, particularly on my neck because of all the contours. One thing that helped me was to literally tell myself out loud* to keep making the necessary adjustments to maintain the same angle between the blade and my face when I drag the razor up and down the changing landscape of my neck. And I only shave my neck with the grain.

*You may want to keep the door closed :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you are new to traditional wet shaving, my first thoughts are either that your angle may be suboptimal in the problem area or that you may be using pressure.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

I’d map out your beard like others have advised. Make changes on your passes too with less pressure. The Personna Labs you ordered may help. They are a nice forgiving smooth blade.

As for me, not chasing after BBS solves the irritation problem. I can get great shaves but if I do that couple extra strokes each pass, I'll get irritation on my neck and my chin. I learned to be satisfied with a DFS or a decent shave and my face doesn't have to be ultra-smooth. I reduce my stubble to a decent level and I'm happy with that.

Top Bottom