What's new

Help with a well used Wee Scot

With all the brushes I have in my den, my Simpson Wee Scot has been my sole brush for coming up on ten years. I love the size and feel of this brush. Over time though, I think I have begun to wear out the knot. The hairs just flare out now when trying to load the brush and when I am face lathering. I am worried that I have worked this brush harder than it was initially designed for.

So, at this point, I am not sure if I should reach out to Simpson, find someone to put a new knot in it, or just purchase a new Wee Scot. Anyone been in a similar position?

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I haven’t been in your position yet. I only use a Wee Scot so I am very interested in the answers you will receive.

10 years isn't a bad run for such a small brush, mine's about 5 years old, without daily use though. Personally, I would just order a new one. A quick search found several vendors at under $40.

Yeah, if you got ten years out of a wee scot as a daily (or even weekly) brush, it gave you a good run. They are small... there isn't much hair in there. Eventually they're gonna wear out, and that's gonna be much sooner than a 24mm knot under the same use.

If I were you, I'd contact Simpsons about the possibility of a reknot (they'll probably tell you it's cheaper to just buy a new one), but they should like hearing about the man who shaved with a wee scot for a decade. Maybe they can offer you to reknot it (or do a custom) with a premium hair (it's small, shouldn't cost THAT much more than their best grade) and etch a 10 yr commemoration on the handle. I know, probably not... but heck... it's worth asking.

I want to say someone got them to put two band (maybe manchurian?) in one awhile back. Maybe I dreamed it though. As I recall it wasn't cheap (2-3x the cost of a standard wee scot), but they were a big fan of the brush and felt it was worth it.

Yeah, if you got ten years out of a wee scot as a daily (or even weekly) brush, it gave you a good run. They are small... there isn't much hair in there. Eventually they're gonna wear out, and that's gonna be much sooner than a 24mm knot under the same use.

If I were you, I'd contact Simpsons about the possibility of a reknot (they'll probably tell you it's cheaper to just buy a new one), but they should like hearing about the man who shaved with a wee scot for a decade. Maybe they can offer you to reknot it (or do a custom) with a premium hair (it's small, shouldn't cost THAT much more than their best grade) and etch a 10 yr commemoration on the handle. I know, probably not... but heck... it's worth asking.

+1! Love the concept of a premium grade Wee Scot!! :a29:

Does anyone make a premium knot small enough for it? Or would it have to go back to Simpson’s.
No one I know. I actually had to buy and butcher a Wee scot to reknot a vintage turnback because the only 14mm badger knots available were horrible. This was five years ago though, so maybe someone is making decent ones now.

Or you could reknot your current one in boar or synthetic and and buy another new.

Edit the wee Scott is prob too small for anything but a badger.

I wasn’t actually planning on changing the knot in mine. I’ve only had mine for a month or two, but just curious for the future lol

Do you splay your brush and use circular motions? It is recommended by Simpsons themselves to only use paint motions, so that could be why.

I definitely splay and brush in circles. But I'd rather do what I enjoy and have to replace brushes, I guess. I'll email Simpson and see what they have to say! Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen.

Top Bottom