What's new

Help removing pin

Ok so I took the advice, I cant remember who gave it, but thank you. I got a jewelry saw and cut the pin. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to get the two parts of the pin free without damaging the scales. What would be the best way to do this.

Very slowly and carefully push/pull them out of the holes, making sure there are no burrs left from the saw that could keep them from coming out smoothly.

You're gonna hear advice to drill through.. I guess you could do that, if you have the right bit (1.5mm) and a tool that is precise enough.

I would just apply enough oil, work it in, then go in with a thin screwdriver, very slowly and gently. Wiggle it around, see if you're getting the scales looser. If not, don't force it much, or you'll break the scales. If the fit isn't getting significantly looser by doing this, then there's no other option but to drill through.

If drilling, you don't need to go deeper than the thickness of one scale. Once you're through, try with the screwdriver again, as described above (since there's a hole through the pin now, it will collapse). This will get one scale free, as well as the blade. If the other one is stuck, file away any burr on the remaining pin, even make it pointy. Then tap it out with a light peening hammer, and pull out on the other end with pliers (sometimes you can pull it out with your hands, too).

The important thing is always to not force this process.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Sorry I misread... So you've cut the pin already. Now you may need to drill through and/or tap gently with a light hammer to push it out. Remember to get rid of any burrs on the ends.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

One thing I am finding a challenge, which I should have been more specific about. I only had to remove 1 pin. There are still 2 more in the scales I do not need to remove. I am having difficulty getting any leverage to remove the cut pin. Drilling is not an option for me.

I do like the idea of oil to help. I am going to see if some mineral oil will help.

I’m sure most thought two pins and you can open the scales to push the cut pin out.

Three-pin razor and you only want one out then drilling would have been more effective and less destructive, but you have options.

1- stop trying to save the other two pins. Cut one (will pivot open on one pin) or better cut both and repin the razor when you are done. This is your best way if you don’t want to drill.

2- if dead set on a harder way - I am assuming you cut the razor pivot pin? If you cut it only on one side of the razor then now cut it on the other side and take the blade out of the scales. You now have some area to work between the scales with some picks. When pushing pins out, support the scale on something solid with a small hole for the pin to recede into. Like a jewelers or watchmakers block. You can drill a hole in a piece of wood if you need but support the scale.

And remember, you still can drill it :)

A caution on oil or at least soaking, some can swell the scale depending on material making your situation tighter.

Also, please not be doing any of this with ivory scales. If the are ivory stop and send it to someone before you break them.

Good luck.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut another pin. Ant trust me I wouldnt even try working on a razor with ivory scales. This is a Hess 99 with butterscotch scales. Probably celluloid. Thanks for all of the help. I will take pics and let you all know how it went.

This is the only issue with that

I see more pins look like this than be straight

proxy.php

@Doc226 I know you are highly regarded around here. Do you have any other suggestions?

So far I removed one set of pins and cracked both scales at both pin holes. I really dont want to do that. I'm taking all of the ideas i can do and going slow with them to see which works.

@Doc226 I know you are highly regarded around here. Do you have any other suggestions?

So far I removed one set of pins and cracked both scales at both pin holes. I really dont want to do that. I'm taking all of the ideas i can do and going slow with them to see which works.
TY

I drill all my pins out

I think filing down the pin flush to the scale is OK, the problem is lifting the scale off the pin. You can place an utility blade under the scale and try to lift it off the pin. I would not try to tap them out unless you are dealing with a very sturdy material (G10, micarta)

Top Bottom