What's new

Help! My Favourite Brush is Shedding!!!

Help required please people.
I've had my Edwin Jagger best badger for nearly two years with no major hair loss (the brush, not me) but over the last couple of weeks it's been shedding like crazy.
I rinse it well and store it upside down in its stand. Any ideas please

it might be terminal.
warm weather...glue originally might not have been 100%.
you can ask your vendor if they will do some sort of exchange.
never hurts to ask.

it might be terminal.
warm weather...glue originally might not have been 100%.
you can ask your vendor if they will do some sort of exchange.
never hurts to ask.
I've had it too long for it to be covered by any form of warranty. If the shedding continues I will need a new brush 😔

It's not really worth re knitting. I'm.just emotionally attached to it, lol.
May try a boar bristle

It's not really worth re knitting. I'm.just emotionally attached to it, lol.

I know the feeling. I have a Simpson's Rover in Best that has shed hairs for 9 years, but I love the thick knot and handle. I keep telling myself that it seems to be shedding less lately. While I mostly use Thater and Shavemac 2-band brushes that don't shed, I still hang onto that Rover. I never tried a boar that I liked better than badger. If you don't want to spend the money, Italian Barber has a good 24mm synth that lathers quite well. Other than that, spring for a 24-26mm 2-band 4125 Thater. Thater bulbs run small, so go a size or two larger than you like.

Last edited:
I have a Simpson's Best Rover that has shed a few hairs

I know the feeling. I have a Simpson's Rover in Best that has shed hairs for 9 years, but I love the thick knot and handle. I keep telling myself that it seems to be shedding less lately. While I mostly use Thater and Shavemac 2-band brushes that don't shed, I still hang onto that Rover. I never tried a boar that I liked better than badger. If you don't want to spend the money, Italian Barber has a good 24mm synth that lathers quite well. Other than that, spring for a 24-26mm 2-band 4125 Thater. Thater bulbs run small, so go a size or two larger than you like.
I've never had any luck with synthetic brushes. I've never found one that felt just right. The Edwin Jagger best badger is spot on. I don't have a gazillion brushes in rotation like some guys do. I find something that works for me then stick to it.
I may give the Italian barber synthetic a go though. Thank for the recommendation 👍

I sympathize. I have a Vie -Long horsehair brush that after half a year of use started shedding like mad. Like it had the mange or something. I'm especially peeved because I like the brush and had a few solid months with it after finally breaking it in (ie after the funk smell finally left it). I tried shampooing it, combing it out between shaves, etc. Nothing has worked. I try to ignore it but get sick of having brush hairs in my face after I lather. I think it's heading to the bin pretty soon. Next up will be a Shave Forge horse knot on a Whipped Dog handle.

I have an AoS badger that's probably 10 years old and started shedding like crazy a year ago and I thought it was going to die. After losing a couple hundred hairs, it just stopped and I'm still using it today.

I have an AoS badger that's probably 10 years old and started shedding like crazy a year ago and I thought it was going to die. After losing a couple hundred hairs, it just stopped and I'm still using it today.
That's encouraging, I live in hope for mine then.

i have one brush that i hope stops shedding one day. Its a bear to use and its so sad. i feel like I should be collecting all the hair for someone to reknot in the future, but collecting it felt ridiculous. The vendor already replaced it promptly years ago but i am glutton for punishment.

i have one brush that i hope stops shedding one day. Its a bear to use and its so sad. i feel like I should be collecting all the hair for someone to reknot in the future, but collecting it felt ridiculous. The vendor already replaced it promptly years ago but i am glutton for punishment.
I know the feeling. Lol.

I rinse it well and store it upside down in its stand. Any ideas please
I seem to remember you being in a (very) hard water area, Mark. Do you get a cloud of dust when you flick the dry brush hairs? If so, rinsing (with your water) probably just makes the situation worse.

Check out THIS POST, which I hope helps.

I seem to remember you being in a (very) hard water area, Mark. Do you get a cloud of dust when you flick the dry brush hairs? If so, rinsing (with your water) probably just makes the situation worse.

Check out THIS POST, which I hope helps.
Yes. Water is very hard, but I don't see any dust

Top Bottom