What's new

Help me pick some decants

I'm fairly new to this fragrance obsession and looking to order some new samples to potentially broaden my collection. To give you some idea of what I know and like:

Bottles I own:
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Penhaligon's Hamman Bouquet
Czech and Speake 88
Czech and Speake Cuba
Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Truefitt and Hill Freshman
L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan
L'Occitan Eau de Baux

My buy list:
Penhaligon's English Fern
Pehhaligon's Opus 1870
Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge
Knize Ten
Knize Forest

I'm about to order some decants and was planning to try:
Some other rose scents:
Domenico Caraceni 1913
Le Labo Rose 31
Montale Black Aoud
Classics that I haven't sampled:
Acqua di Parma Colonia
Dior Eau Sauvage
A couple Vetiver's
Guerlain Vetiver
Creed Original Vetiver

Anyone want to suggest something else I should sample based on what I like or things everyone should sample? Hoping for reasons why I should sample it - based on what I like or I'm missing something I should have tried - and not just lists of everyone's favorites.

FWIW, I've worked my way through the C&S, Floris, Trumpers and T&H sample packs.

Bill,

I can send you a decant of ADP Colonia. I bought a whole bottle and the decant it just sitting on the shelf. If you would like it you may have it. Just PM me your info.

Also, if you like Eau De Baux you should try Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Your tastes seems to lean a bit dressy and elegant.

Pens Sartorial is a worth a sniff if you like traditional scents. Not groundbreaking imo, but it does the classic fougere thing very well. It grows on me exponentially every time I wear. A good, fairly dressy, gentlemen's scent.

Floris No. 89 might be worth checking out since you seem to lean a bit to British scents.

I'd kind of like to suggest Habit Rouge, but I am biased towards the EdP version which is hard to find. It was sold as a special edition in US as "Beau Cavalier" for a short time over the summer. (It's one of two bottles I "backed up" long before the first was used up). No idea if it can still be found. The EdP adds a little agarwood and overall wears much smoother and longer to my nose. The regular EdT version of HR just doesn't work very well for me. The EdP is still sold in Europe simply as Habit Rouge EdP. Might be findable at some sites. Probably my most worn scent this year. Solid.

Santos de Cartier Concentre. A tad '80s perhaps, but this is a very well done gentleman's sandalwood and patchouli scent. Not for kiddies. If you're a mature guy, this can make ladies swoon. Good for work too. Exudes power and masculinity. Underrated scent imo and not super pricey.

Last edited:
Xillion: thanks for the offer. I'll PM you my address in a few. I think I'll have to break down and try some of the Tom Fords. I'd been looking at Tobacco Vanille but tried to talk myself out of it - my wants just keep getting more expensive :) I like the Eau de Baux but honestly find it a bit clunky and unrefined after wearing it for a while. I'm guessing the TV would address those issues.

StylinLA: thanks for the suggestions. I like Floris 89 but find it to be something of an understated Hamman Bouquet. I'd happily wear it if I owned it but can't bring myself to buy it against other options. I'm interested in Pens Sartorial, may add that to my sample list. I'll research the others a bit - they sound interesting. I'm definitely not a kiddie anymore - mid-career and work in an academic setting.

To me TV is not as linear as Baux. TV has a nice drydown that evolves over time. And for me it lasts and lasts. If I spray it on a 9am I can still smell it when I wake up the next morning.

Vetivers:

L'Occitane Vetyver (great vetiver)
Encre Noire (great vetiver)
Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (great vetiver)
MPG Route du Vetiver (great vetiver)

Creed:

Royal English Leather
Royal Scottish Lavender
Green Irish Tweed
Imperial Millesime

Hard to find therefore expensive:
Creed Cypres Musc
Creed Vintage Tabarome
Bois de Santal (really good Sandalwood)

Guerlain:

Habit Rouge (EdC has more citrus), (EdT has more vanilla), not sure about the EdP yet but definitely try it.
Coriolan
Heritage
Mouchoir de Monsieur

Terre D'Hermes
Grey Flannel
Tauer L'air du desert Marocain
L'Artisan Timbuktu
Caldey Island Lavender (favorite lavender)
Lutens Gris Clair (smoky lavender)

Diptyque:

Philosykos
Eau Duelle (good vanilla)

BTW we have a reviews section on this site so make sure to check out ALL the reviews so you can sift through what peaks your interest and what to avoid (cough cough Ralph Lauren Safari). :frown2:

Top Bottom