What's new

Help me pick my next bottle of Scotch

I just finished a bottle of Glenfiddich 12yo and it was great. One of my favorites is The Dalmore Cigar Malt. It is aged in Port barrels from Spain and you can taste the raisins and port flavors in the scotch. Neither bottle is expensive and they will not disappoint you.

I started recently, as you did, with Glenlivet 12. One of our friends bought a bottle of the Glenmorangie 10. It was ok but not nearly as smooth as the Glenlivet.

On Sunday I bought a bottle of Laphroiag 10 and I'll be darned if it's not great stuff. Probably my favorite of the three followed by Glenlivet closely. It's extremely smokey but if you sip it slowly it seems to transform a bit. It's a bit sweet at the end and the scent changes when it airs out a bit. I wouldn't, however, smoke a cigar and drink Laphroiag at the same time. ;)

If you liked the Laphroiag, you'll love the Lagavulin (16yo)!

If you haven't yet been shopping, please also consider the Highland Park 12yo- IMHO it is one of the best values in Scotch.

If you're considering Macallan 18, consider the Macallan Fine Oak 17 as well. Little easier on the wallet, but extremely nice. I've also been rediscovering Talisker, would recommend that as well.

Once you start down the single malt highway, you will not stop until the Policeman of Your Mind says, "Pull over!"

I think Lagavulin is the best, but that's like saying Miss Texas is "better" than Miss Oklahoma. If you can find it, one of the independent bottlings of Caol Ila is, for me, the epitome of great single malts. It does have some smoke and peat in it, so it may not be your cup o' scotch.

My tastes are very different from yours, so consider that. My first taste was of Laphroig -- one that most newcomers are warned away from, and it led me down a very dark, delightful path.....

I figured my first post should be something I actually know about, since I'm new to wetshaving...My favorite non-peaty Scotch is Edradour, from the smallest distillery in Scotland. It's wonderfully viscous stuff, slightly sweet, and very smooth. It's a bit harder to find than some of the other whiskys mentioned here, but worth seeking out. Slainte!

Sounds like you need a bottle in your desk drawer!

They won't let me drink at work and I'm surrounded by executives. :tongue_sm

The good news is that the CEO and VP of Operations are scotch drinkers. Now, if only I can convince the CEO to drop the Macallan 12 year for some other scotches. I could use a change for the after work drinks. :laugh:

Top Bottom