What's new

Help me pick my next bottle of Scotch

I am fairly new to drinking single malt scotches and am having a lot of fun. My first bottle was the Glenlivet 12. It's decent, easy drinking, but not very complex. I then went to Highland Park 12 for more complexity. Indeed it is more complex, but I realize I am not into the smokey flavor that is has, and I never did drink much of the bottle because of the smoke/peat. I then got the Macallan 12...TASTY!!!! I love it.

So now what??? Help me pick my next scotch!

I am assuming Laphroig is a NO NO since it is described and medicinal and smokey.

I am considering:

- Glenmorangie 10 yr
- Balvenie Double Wood
- Macallan 18, big bucks
- Glenlivet 18

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is an excellent choice!

Also try Dalmore or Dalwhinnie ... both excellent choices in my opinion.

All 3 are Highland malts by the way.

If you don't like smokiness, definitely avoid Laphroiag or Ardbeg.

Go with the Macallan 18yo. You only live once.:001_smile

The Glenmorangie (rhymes with orangey) is an excellent choice.

The Balvenie/GlenFiddich family of Scotches are also quite good. Those are among the handful of distillers in Scotland that do their own bottling.

If you're just getting into whisky, I would suggest spending a bit more time sampling whiskies around 12 years of age - as your palate adjusts and begins to pick up the nuances better, you will appreciate that 18 year old even more. :001_smile

My opinion for your next bottle is one of the following:

Cragganmore 12 - less sherried than the Macallan, a little grassier but still lots of flavour;

Dalmore 12 - similar to the Highland Park in terms of complexity, but without the peat;

Balvenie Double Wood - similar to the Macallan but a bit stronger; and

Talisker 12 - I know you said no smoke, but the Talisker is a sweet peat, not smoky. Similar to Lagavulin in this way. I don't like smoky Islay malts but I love Lagavulin and Talisker.

And if you like the Macallan, you will like Aberlour whiskies.

Are mini bottles available for any of the scotches discussed?

All I have seen for mini's are glenlivet, glenfiddich, and macallan.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Malt. Highland Park is not peaty, so I think you have a way to go before being able to sort out the spectrum on your palate. The Balvennie Doublewood's lovely; complex and warming. I prefer it the The Macallan 12, but its been a while since I've had the 18. I feel Glenfiddich to be a very "English" whisky. A lot of Englishmen seem to think that this is the taste of good whisky, which is why Laphroig is also so popular, but if you want to taste well-balanced peat in an English style, try half a bottle of straight J&B, with absolutely nothing in it. This should get you started as its not too challenging and actually very well done. Glenmorange is often under-rated as it is so easy to drink and not too complex, but sometimes this is exactly what you want. Big big flavours at the start of the night can overwhelm or confuse. The Dalmore 12 is my kind of whisky; in the asme room as the balvennie but sweeter and more cognacy. If you want to experience real peat, I'd suggest you try a Scapa in a bar if you can find it...peatier than a Laphroig, very challenging, but much better made. And you cannot consider yourself a whisky drinker if you haven't had a Lagavulin 16yo. If you can find that, buy it in preference to anything else and you should be a different man by the end of the bottle! Even if you try it and don't like it, I suggest leaving it for a couple of days and trying it again, paying real attention and devoting an hour or so to quietly exploring it. There's so much in it you can get 3 or 4 different experiences with 3 or 4 glasses. If you have drunk more than half a bottle and don't like it, I'll be extremely surprised and bordering on mortified..its a very special drop.

Last edited:
The best flavour and bang for your buck, I would suggest the Balvennie 12yo Double Wood. One of may favourites when I'm not looking for the good old smoke/peat taste (then I go for the Lagavulin 16yo)

The best flavour and bang for your buck, I would suggest the Balvennie 12yo Double Wood. One of may favourites when I'm not looking for the good old smoke/peat taste (then I go for the Lagavulin 16yo)

I'll second this choice. It's one of my top picks for single malts and isn't outrageously expensive. It has a sweet whisky taste with floral motes.

I'll second this choice. It's one of my top picks for single malts and isn't outrageously expensive. It has a sweet whisky taste with floral motes.

I will third this choice.

OP, you seem to have the same tastes as me in Scotch. I'll admit I'm still very much a noob to Scotch for the sole reason that I never got into the whole peaty smoky flavor. I thought that's what Scotch was and that put me off. Well, someone suggested the Balvenie Double Wood and I apprehensively bought a bottle and I love it.

I started recently, as you did, with Glenlivet 12. One of our friends bought a bottle of the Glenmorangie 10. It was ok but not nearly as smooth as the Glenlivet.

On Sunday I bought a bottle of Laphroiag 10 and I'll be darned if it's not great stuff. Probably my favorite of the three followed by Glenlivet closely. It's extremely smokey but if you sip it slowly it seems to transform a bit. It's a bit sweet at the end and the scent changes when it airs out a bit. I wouldn't, however, smoke a cigar and drink Laphroiag at the same time. ;)

Top Bottom