What's new

Help me decide. For soaps: Rooney 3/1 Special in Pure or Super Silver?

For SOAP use Pure or Super Silvertip

• Pure

• Super Silvertip

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well I've been eyeing a Rooney 3/1 Special in Coral for a long while now. My favorite color is RED, I use soaps exclusively, and I want a great brush with a medium sized knot. The Rooney supposedly fits this bill in both pure and super silvertip variants, but I would like some input as to which would be best for soaps.

I would of course be willing to accept an alternative brush to the Rooney, but it has to be at least as red, if not even more red. I actually bought an EJ Super badger in red but sold it before even using it after I realized it was going to be way too soft for soaps (I thought any way, never tried it and the only other brush I can compare to is a Tweezerman).

So, how about it -- Pure or Super Silver, and did I somehow miss some amazing red beauty other then these brushes?

EDIT: also just to add, the reason I'm considering the silver is if it is somehow just as good as the pure when lathering with soaps, then the extra softness couldn't hurt, although the price is still a consideration so factor that in if the difference isnt too significant.

Any small Rooney is going to be amazing on soaps; especially if you face lather. Furthermore, the Coral brushes look great! Good choice!

But Silvertip vs Pure is the question; the answer is the Silvertip. The Rooneys are so dense with so much backbone there wont be the normal functional advantage of the pure. My 1/1 is a Silvertip and just attacks a hard soap! And when I say "normal functional advantage" I mean that on average the pure hair has a thicker shaft than the silvertip; which means more backbone; which means quicker and more effective loading of soaps! For the extra 20 or so dollars go for the Silvertip!

I say super silvertip, but only a good one. If you get a Rooney, Shavemac, Plisson, Simpfix, etc. you will be happy. If you get a floppy silver tip, you will wish you would have gotten the pure. If you do not want to spend the money on a good silvertip, get a boar.

I say super silvertip, but only a good one. If you get a Rooney, Shavemac, Plisson, Simpfix, etc. you will be happy. If you get a floppy silver tip, you will wish you would have gotten the pure. If you do not want to spend the money on a good silvertip, get a boar.

Well said +1

I recently got a Shavemac pure badger from WCS. I find that it is an excellent soap brush, and that it gives my face a nice envigorating massage while lathering.
I also have four other brushes, including a Rooney, all in sivertip. They are all fine brushes, but for Tabac or Trumpers soap, the Shavemac pure is my favorite.
Have fun deciding.

I use mostly soaps. I face lather. I enjoy dense brushes. By all accounts the Rooney 3/1 fits my needs perfectly. I will be buying the Rooney 3/1 Super (in Tortoise probably) soon.

Don't fear the Silvertip!:w00t:

yeah i have the 3/1 Super Silver Tip Special in Perlex.. has plenty of backbone and a short loft.. lathers up soaps really well.. go for the Super!!

Top Bottom