What's new

Help Identify this Travel Razor + Case

Howdy! The vintage store had a couple great finds today, but I could use your help identifying...

First, this charming travel razor! No markings that I can identify:

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpgIMG_5150.jpgIMG_5147.jpg

Those guide pins look a little... wonky! In fact, the cap overhangs the side of the baseplate if it's in the wrong orientation... Very noticeable toolmarks on the handle, presumably from a lathe. Would hotels provide these razors long ago???

Also, just want to confirm that this other razor is, indeed, a 1918 thin-cap old-type, if anyone wants a photo of the head profile I can snap a photo. No crack in the handle!

IMG_5151.jpgIMG_5152.jpgIMG_5153.jpg

Thanks for your assistance and interest!

Not surprised that travel razor is unbranded. Who would want to 'fess up? I think your hotel freebie idea is a good one. It also might have been sold for an affordable price at the desk of cheap hotels or in newsstands at rail stations. In any case, yours is a survivor!

My Old Type with an H prefix serial # is a thin cap, so your G prefix should be thin cap also. Nice straight teeth you have there.

Nice straight teeth you have there.
I wish my real teeth were as straight--but I wouldn't listen to my elders, and never wore my retainer after my braces came off. Ah, youth.

You want to see something that's not straight?

IMG_5158.jpgIMG_5159.jpg

That's an Astra loaded into the travel razor. The baseplate and guard seem distinctly... non-parallel. Don't know if I'll ever shave with this one.

I was going to say, ''Flying Eagle'' [vomit] I know I've seen the diamond with pins through it before, like a knock off of a tech with the slots at the sides of the diamond. Damn, Quality Control was on holiday that month when it was stamped, even the case hinge is like my herringbone paving efforts. I'm still going as a certain cheap country knockoff. but, stick to the hotel giveaway, even if the hotel did buy it in a certain country.

Nice G serial, uncracked? That's a win right there, the operator had his glasses on that day, and a new set of callipers.

Top Bottom