What's new

Help, I need a pep talk!

I'll probably get some groans from the Peanut Gallery for suggesting this, but try a pack of Merkur blades. I've heard there can be serious QA problems with them, but every pack I've ever had the razors were awesome, and when Merkurs are on, they are ON.

I use them in my '60 Flair-Tip SS, and get BBS most of the time.

I don't think the Merkurs are crazy talk at all. It's been my favorite so far.

What everyone said. You're not limited to what you can get locally. I started with the blade which came with my razor, but continued with a $10 sample pack from WCS. I've added other blades to try as I come across them, and am tracking my results with each thing I bought, including the blades, in Excel. That way I'll remember what I thought of a set of blades months later when I need to decide what to order in bulk.

What he said. As long as you have mail delivery the entire world of shaving is literally at your door step.
QUOTE]

I do order things via the mail since thats the only way to get anything up here thats not here...which is ALOT. However, we really have to do our research so we don't pay an arm and leg for shipping. I know blade sample packs are small but justifying paying close to the same as the purchase price for shipping or having to wait for it to come on the slow boat (no seriously, it'll be put on a barge in Seattle and we'll see it in 2-4 weeks) is the hard part. Most of the shaving stuff I use I purchased while visiting down in the lower 48. Williams and the Wilkinson blades are readily available at the store here.

I have been PM'd offers on blade samples and truly appreciate it. Anything I receive that I don't use will be PIF'd (if that person will be willing to wait 2-4 weeks:wink2:). I must carry on the tradition.

Thanks for all thoughts and recommendations. You all have me rethinking the horrendous idea of pulling my Mach 3 out from under the sink and using it. Uh-oh I just admitted to still owning it....

Thanks for all thoughts and recommendations. You all have me rethinking the horrendous idea of pulling my Mach 3 out from under the sink and using it. Uh-oh I just admitted to still owning it....

Remember, while you wait for stuff, there's no harm in using the M3 as a diagnostic tool. If you can get as good or better shave with it using soap and brush, then you've at least narrowed down the problem to the razor, blade and/or how it's being used. If not, then there are probably lather issues - and again, if you still have some canned goo knocking about, this can serve a similar purpose. People do (whisper it) use DEs with goo on occasion without either flaying themselves or rushing out to buy a Proglide the next day.

In addition to technique I have found that the type of blade, the preparation (I take a hot shower before I shave), and the type of shaving cream all affect the quality and closeness of my shave. For me, the Feather blades and Proraso shaving cream make a difference; I can't guarantee that these products will be the right products for you, so experiment and enjoy the experience.

Adam, I use a black handle SS made in '68 and I tried my first Wilkinson blade today. OK, YMMV, I understand that, but I was completely underwhelmed with it. I almost could have gotten a better shave by putting milk on my face and letting the cat get at it. You'll find better blades, I have no doubt.

I don't think the Merkurs are crazy talk at all. It's been my favorite so far.

I love them, I think the price puts a lot of people off. They work great on my face no matter what razor I put them in. Now that I'm using the Superspeed most of the time I may try to a more aggressive blade, the SS with the Merkur blades is such a mild, gentle shave... I want to liven it up a little!

I have 100 Derbys here and 100 Yellow 7O'Clocks.

I am more than happy to send you a packet of each in the post for you to try and see if different blades may help. There will be 5 Derbys and 5 Yellows.

Just say the word and I will gladly post you a packet of each. It may well be the razor in the Gillette you're using although as a newbie it is just a guess based on other replies.

Simon

Simon thank you for the offer. I PM'd you.

So I pulled out the ol' M3 today and tried it with my normal wet shaving routine. No knicks or irritation. Although I believe the M3 to be pretty idiot proof, I do believe my problems with my SS are blade related. I'll keep you all posted when I get the blade samples. Thanks again for everybodies comments and recommendations.

A difficulty with vintage razors, especially if they are new to you, is that dings and drops over the years can screw up the blade alignment, eye ball the razor when loaded; an equal amount of blade should extend from each side and be perfectly parallel with the blade guard

as far as irritation (if the blade allignment is ok) I never used to use balm, but when I got about 58 my skin would have red spotches after apply AS, so I went a balm first then about 10 minutes later added the AS, no red spotches since,

good luck,
ken

UPDATE!!

Well I received my blade sampler (thank you Eric!) and gave the Derbys a shot this morning. As I removed it from the package I could defiantly tell the difference from the Wilkinsons. The Derby is much thinner and as I found out while shaving, much sharper! I nicked the heck outta my chin and neck! Although I've been using a Mach 3 for the last week which may be the cause. I have to remember to back off on the pressure. I'll continue to give updates since I still have Personnas, Feathers, 7ams, Gillette5s and some israelis left. Wish me and my neck luck....

Top Bottom