What's new

HELP - Great Blade of China Research Project

Time for an update. Only one of my three doctoral candidates cleared the committee with their dissertations, so I am still knee-deep in this. It probably works out. One of my sons is going to help set up a database that everyone can access and record their shaves (razor, blade, results). I will feed it with all the test measurements. Over time, it will give everyone a good insight into blades and razor/blade combinations. We will also set up an AI to train on the data as it comes in and offer "expert" advice on razor and blade selections based on skin, beard, location, etc.

So, it will likely be May before the input forms will be up; sorry for the delay.

Here is the latest update - I see a lot of people interested in an organized approach to evaluating blades. Soooooo, I morphed what I was working on to make it more generic and broadly applicable (I've included razors). Please take a look and let me know what you think. BTW - two of my doctoral candidates successfully defended!!! One (difficult) one left to get through the ordeal.

The database is now on version 3. The Notion based prototype seems to be holding up so I am looking to start implementing in a few weeks. Trying to decide between Firestore or Azure.

If you have some time, please check out and comment on the latest version.

The only Chinese blade I have much experience with is truly excellent. The Gillette Super Thin Platinum (with Japanese Flag and said to be made with Japanese steel) is a tippy top tier blade. The listed ingredients on the back show steel and chromium, so not sure if it indeed has platinum on it, but the blades are great. Sharp and smooth, in the Feather and Bic CP tier.

Maybe the Japanese steel is what makes it so good? Either way, it would be interesting to compare them with other blades made in the Shanghai factory.

Rayclem gave it a 4.75 (out of 5) on both sharpness and smoothness in his thorough but unscientific review of blades:

The only Chinese blade I have much experience with is truly excellent. The Gillette Super Thin Platinum (with Japanese Flag and said to be made with Japanese steel) is a tippy top tier blade. The listed ingredients on the back show steel and chromium, so not sure if it indeed has platinum on it, but the blades are great. Sharp and smooth, in the Feather and Bic CP tier.

Maybe the Japanese steel is what makes it so good? Either way, it would be interesting to compare them with other blades made in the Shanghai factory.

Rayclem gave it a 4.75 (out of 5) on both sharpness and smoothness in his thorough but unscientific review of blades:

I have 2 on the way from the Exchange. They're also $25 for 100 on Ebay. That may tell you something.

I have 2 on the way from the Exchange. They're also $25 for 100 on Ebay. That may tell you something.
There are some with the Japanese flag and some without the Japanese flag. I am not sure if there is a difference. I'll check my blade bank to see if I have both and give em a go. Could be the same, could be different.

IMG_8344.jpeg

The two candidates. I’ll test them with China Super Blue Techs. To be honest, I am leery of testing the non Japan flag version. But it may all be well.

Ratso says the non-Japan Flag blade is one of the worst blades he has ever tried:

Ratso says the non-Japan Flag blade is one of the worst blades he has ever tried:

Can't be any worse than the Strangelet.

IMG_8349.jpeg
The differences between the blades seemed to have been real but subtle. Although the Super Blue Tech is likely not the best razor for comparison, the Flag shave was smoother, quieter and resulted in less irritation. Not that much though. Shave ended up being about the same I think.

Again, the razor is likely too light for a good comparison and it may just be confirmation bias as well, but I think there is a difference.

Top Bottom