What's new

Help for a Single Edge Rookie

If you could only pick one to shave with (not as a collector) which would you choose:

Ever-Ready 1930 GEM
Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel Head
GEM 1912
GEM 1930's Micromatic

Thank you

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Gem 1930's Micromatic, and if you're asking because you're thinking of getting one of these to begin your SE journey, then I recommend going over to this thread (Micromatic Monday) A gentleman there who goes by @Tanuki is running a loaner/try-it-and-pass-it-along program for a 1930's Micromatic. It would be a great way to give one a try. I recommend heading over there and checking it out.

MMOC has become quite popular with those who have given it a go. This would be my suggestion. I have one with bumbs and one coming which lack them

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'll also add that I have everyone of the razors you listed above (including the Gem 1912 in a Damaskeene version), and if I could only shave with one of those razors, it would be the Micromatic Open Comb (i.e., the one you have referred to as the 1930's Micromatic). It gives me the easiest and closest shave. The others are great razors, I woiuld hate to give them up, but if SWMBO said dump the collection, the Micromatic would remain.

Gem 1930's Micromatic, and if you're asking because you're thinking of getting one of these to begin your SE journey, then I recommend going over to this thread (Micromatic Monday) A gentleman there who goes by @Tanuki is running a loaner/try-it-and-pass-it-along program for a 1930's Micromatic. It would be a great way to give one a try. I recommend heading over there and checking it out.
Thank you

I'd pick the one you left out, the Ever Ready 1914. Of the ones you listed, probably the Shovel Head even though the shave angle isn't as intuitive as it is with the others on your list.

My personal favorite of the ones I've used you don't have listed is the Clog Pruf peerless.

Out of the ones you listed this one is every bit as good of a shaver as the Micromatic open comb but smoother and less aggressive.

Here is how to tell the difference between a standard Clog Pruf and Clog Pruf peerless.
gcp.jpg

The standard Clog Pruf is on the left
The Clog Pruf Peerless is on the right

Notice the different number of teeth on the safety guard, that is how you identify each. I'd also say these are not the same shaver either, the peerless is like a revised better version of the standard Clog Pruf.

I'd pick the one you left out, the Ever Ready 1914. Of the ones you listed, probably the Shovel Head even though the shave angle isn't as intuitive as it is with the others on your list.

One other thing is on the Every Ready 1914 I'd recommend the later ones that say Patented March 24 since the blade stops are better designed to hold the blade in place from the earlier ones that say Patent Pending.

Here is how to tell the difference between a standard Clog Pruf and Clog Pruf peerless.
View attachment 982872

The standard Clog Pruf is on the left
The Clog Pruf Peerless is on the right

Notice the different number of teeth on the safety guard, that is how you identify each. I'd also say these are not the same shaver either, the peerless is like a revised better version of the standard Clog Pruf.
What would you say is the reason for the difference in how they shave?

What would you say is the reason for the difference in how they shave?

I wouldn't know since I've never bothered to look into why but can say they give me a different overall closeness of shave when all other things are equivalent for the shave. Gem was known to revise the designs which would include the shave geometry in some cases on the razors. Another example of this is the Bullet Tip Micromatics having the head geometry revised in I think 1949.

That Clog Pruf peerless is the best razor own not that the Micromatic open comb is any slouch but it gets me a perfect BBS consistently without any irritation or cuts. I also have to caveat that should be dependent upon how well skilled you are with these style of razors. I used to have problems with the Micromatic open comb for example until I finally got used to the feel of these types of blades and got the angle and pressure down. Now I can whip that razor around my face like nothing but it took a lot of practice to learn the skill to get to this point. I also have to caveat this with I haven't used a lot of the earlier Gem/Every Ready/Star razors and the few I have not since I've finally become proficient with these razors so there maybe others that are up there with these 2 razors I am not familiar with yet.

Here is what I mean on the Bullet Tip Micromatic h/t to @jmudrick for posting the ad originally on the boards here. This is from 1949.
The_Boston_Globe_Sun__Sep_25__1949_.jpg

So knowing that for sure then the plastic knob versions of the Bullet Tip which are known to be made no earlier than 1950 for sure should be a different shaver (which it is) from the earlier Bullet Tip razors.

Here is what I mean on the Bullet Tip Micromatic h/t to @jmudrick for posting the ad originally on the boards here. This is from 1949.
View attachment 982947

So knowing that for sure then the plastic knob versions of the Bullet Tip which are known to be made no earlier than 1950 for sure should be a different shaver (which it is) from the earlier Bullet Tip razors.

“Once over and you’re clean”, so much for multiple passes.....lol!!

I wouldn't know since I've never bothered to look into why but can say they give me a different overall closeness of shave when all other things are equivalent for the shave. Gem was known to revise the designs which would include the shave geometry in some cases on the razors. Another example of this is the Bullet Tip Micromatics having the head geometry revised in I think 1949.

That Clog Pruf peerless is the best razor own not that the Micromatic open comb is any slouch but it gets me a perfect BBS consistently without any irritation or cuts. I also have to caveat that should be dependent upon how well skilled you are with these style of razors. I used to have problems with the Micromatic open comb for example until I finally got used to the feel of these types of blades and got the angle and pressure down. Now I can whip that razor around my face like nothing but it took a lot of practice to learn the skill to get to this point. I also have to caveat this with I haven't used a lot of the earlier Gem/Every Ready/Star razors and the few I have not since I've finally become proficient with these razors so there maybe others that are up there with these 2 razors I am not familiar with yet.

Thank you!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Ever-Ready 1930 GEM
Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel Head
GEM 1912
GEM 1930's Micromatic

I have, and have used, all on your list but the Shovel Head. I also think you might consider the Ever Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher."

The only choice from either your original list or the expanded version that I would take as a daily driver is the Micromatic, and specifically the Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC). I get much better shaves with MOST open comb SE razors than with safety bars. The only exception to that is the ATT SE1, which gives me the closest shave I've ever had.

O.H.

I would choose the Shovel head. Using it is like using many versions in one if you so choose. You can mix and match heads and handles. It is different than all of the rest. It shaves at a different angle. It is easy to use. It comes in different head types. It comes with different handle lengths. You can use it with handles from other razors like the Bakelite handles of the ER Juniors. It has travel and regular size cases. It has both round and square head versions. The blade gap is huge. It is a, smooth, comfortable moderately aggressive razor. There is a learning curve and it can nick you if your technique is not very good. It is my daily driver.

Top Bottom