What's new

Help dating razors: GEM in silver case

Hello there! Yesterday I was talking with my dad about shaving and he mentioned he had some stuff I might be interested in. He is a barber and has collected a few things over the years. I'll post a thread for each razor, and one for the mugs/scuttle.. He didn't know much about them, but I told him I would try to see what I could find out here and let him know.

First off, a GEM Ever-Ready marked "BKLYN, N.Y. U.S.A. PAT. APP'D FOR under the lid. It came in a small metal box, lined in red velvet, with a small metal blade bank.
$HPIM1160.jpg$HPIM1161.jpg$HPIM1163.jpg$HPIM1164.jpg$HPIM1165.JPG

Thanks!

There isn't such an animal as a Gem Ever-Ready, it's either a Gem or an Ever-Ready. This ER is usually called the 1924, it didn't have a factory given name. It showed up in catalogs around 1925 and was replaced by the Improved Ever-Ready in your other post in 1930. That cased set was called The Touring Model.

Maybe a nice, helpful mod will move this one into the single edge forum.

Thank you Hoosier for the help! Same question as before: I was wondering what the going price on these were. My dad 'gave' them to me, but I would like to pay him something for them anyways. Thanks again!
Also, I shaved with this one last night with a CVS blade. I've been using DE for a little over a year now, but this was amazing! I'm going to keep keeling it out, but I may be a SE man before too long! :001_smile

Cased models go for around $10 more generally, and of course that depends on the condition of the case as well as the razor and blade holder, so around $15-25 would be in the ballpark. Like the 1912 frame, there are a lot of the 19124 ER's still around.

Glad to hear your first shave went well with the SE. The CVS blades are uncoated carbon steel and will rust quickly of left wet in the razor, so it's a good idea to take it out, dry it and store it somewhere.

Top Bottom