What's new

Help! Can't stop buying blades!

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I already have a few thousands of my favorite blades but can't stop buying more and more. Just last week I bought a few hundred Med Preps, Bolzano and Elios. My cabinets are full with blades and there's barely any room for new ones. I have much more blades than I will be able to use in my lifetime. Perhaps someone has an advice for me?

I do think you have a ptoblem .What's the pointing having several thousand blades? Perhaps take an interest in sonething else. Explore soaps If you have not done so already. But don't buy hundreds!
I know shaving gear can be tempting but to end up with thousands of blades and buying hundreds more is not normal behaviour. Sorry if this sounds harsh but if this continues, you need some therapy.

Explore soaps If you have not done so already. But don't buy hundreds!

That's exactly what he'll do. Addiction isn't object dependent. Only way to break the oniomania cycle is to stop buying everything for at least 3 weeks.

I thought we were talking about razor blades. If so, he'll eventually run out of space, tire of it, or something. I he does the same thing with everything in his life, it could be an issue. But not for me to assume.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's a great comfort to know that you have more than enough blades to last a lifetime. I should know, I have enough blades to last well over two hundred seventy five years. I'm still buying more. The thing is, that when I buy a new blade that I like, I don't want to run out ever. Therefore, I logically buy more than enough so I don't ever have to. They are always there when I need them. Lately I've been on a Lord kick. I now successfully have more than enough to never have to worry about it. Currently, I have to update my storage container and find room in my closet to store them. This is all perfectly sane and normal. The rational behind it is logical. Remember a good blade is forever. I agree that you may have need for further counseling and we at BOSC (Brotherhood Of Shaving Crazies) are always there to assist.

Last edited:
‘Cheaper by the dozen’ (er 100 or 1,000)! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

You are saving $$ (if you live long enough)!!

At least you aren’t collecting cars!! (Sorry, this is the best I can do.)

Just do some math. Figure out how long each blade will last you. How often you shave and how long you think you'll be around to use them.

If it turns out you're buying a bunch of blades that you'll never need, or even get to use, think about putting that money towards something that will give you some satisfaction now.

Just do some math. Figure out how long each blade will last you. How often you shave and how long you think you'll be around to use them.

If it turns out you're buying a bunch of blades that you'll never need, or even get to use, think about putting that money towards something that will give you some satisfaction now.
+1 My advice too.

I already have enough soaps to last be for the remainder of my life and beyond, but that does not stop me from trying new soaps whose scent and performance intrigue me. There is only one soap for which I have a duplicate tub; all the rest are individual tubs or pucks.

I can see purchasing blades you have not yet tried, just to see they they perform better than your current blades. Sometimes I purchase 100 blades I have never tried, because the cost of purchasing in bulk is not much higher than purchasing a tuck when shipping cost is included. I can see purchasing several hundred of your favorite blade when you see you cache getting low. Purchasing hundreds of blades of multiple varieties when you already have hundreds of those same blades may indicated you have obsessive/compulsive tendencies. However, as such, you are not alone within the B&B community.

I can think of two pressures that maybe encourage this type of behavior.

One: Back when I was a young man in the early 70s, the overwhelming shaving choices was DE safety razors or electric (and injectors). Nobody ever thought that they might stop making DE blades. Today, in the 19's, if Gillette had a button that would stop all production every where of DE blades, is there anybody here that doesn't think they wouldn't push that button? Giving that hypothetical situation, I certainly think they would even if it only gave them a fraction of a single percent point of market share.

Even I think, what if the Chinese stop making injector blades. IMO they are far better blades then Pellas and some of my favorite shavers are injectors.

This probably does depend on how large the market for DE shaving is and is it growing or shrinking, but - for me - the uncertainty is certainly there. Can anybody guarantee that mass market DE blades will still be made 10 years from now? I sure hope so!

Two: Also back in the day, you had to go to a store to buy a pack of blades. I know from my collection that boxes of packs of blades could be bought back then (50s and earlier for sure), but I don't recall seeing anything other then individual packs hanging near the check out stands. But in the age of the internet and online shopping, how easy is it to buy 1000 blades? Pretty easy in my experience. It's even encouraged because they make it less expensive per blade if you buy more, not to mention shipping cost levels.

For instance, I bought an engine (parts) brush on line and the shipping was X dollars. I kept adding a single brush in until the shipping cost went up to Y dollars and then backed off one to get to X shipping cost. That drove the per price of the brush down but I did end up with more parts brushes then I needed.

So my advice is to just stop buying blades. It's all a head game.

And what if they do stop producing DE blades? Maybe somebody will invent and sell a single blade that can be resharpened almost indefinitely but will require a bit more skill to use. Nobody will buy more then one of those or over spend on something like that.

-jim

Greetings! Igor, I understand your problem. If a hobby becomes addicted, you need to find another hobby. Perhaps this will become the balance of your purchases. My hobby is hunting and fishing. Some cartridges that I bought a long time ago are over 20 years old. A bait for fish, bought several years ago, has lost its properties. I understand that I can never use all my ammunition, fishing gear, because my life will end sooner. And I stopped. But I did not lose interest in life, I again became friends with wet shaving !!! I observe objects around me through a microscope, I look at the stars through a telescope, I organized a regional public charity fund to protect and help people with disabilities, and began to organize patriotic events in the North Caucasus. And if you can’t get rid of your addiction, write and I will invite you to visit. We will leave for the mountains, where there are no stores that sell blades, and there is no connection between cell phones and the Internet. One or several weeks of therapy with fresh mountain air, crystal clear water from mountain glaciers, and the spirit of a fabulous pristine nature, will remove any addiction, your spirit will be reborn, and you will regain control of your desires. Igor, I respect you and appreciate your good deeds and actions, and I will always be happy to provide you any help. Regards, Eugene.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Purchasing hundreds of blades of multiple varieties when you already have hundreds of those same blades may indicated you have obsessive/compulsive tendencies. However, as such, you are not alone within the B&B community.
^^^This^^^ This is one of the highest compliments that can be paid to a member of B&B. Take it to heart. :w00t: You can buy hundred lots of blades here with free shipping. Wet Shaving – Bolzano, Gillette, Personna Double Edge Razor Blades - https://www.razorbladesclub.com/

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Greetings! Igor, I understand your problem. If a hobby becomes addicted, you need to find another hobby. Perhaps this will become the balance of your purchases. My hobby is hunting and fishing. Some cartridges that I bought a long time ago are over 20 years old. A bait for fish, bought several years ago, has lost its properties. I understand that I can never use all my ammunition, fishing gear, because my life will end sooner. And I stopped. But I did not lose interest in life, I again became friends with wet shaving !!! I observe objects around me through a microscope, I look at the stars through a telescope, I organized a regional public charity fund to protect and help people with disabilities, and began to organize patriotic events in the North Caucasus. And if you can’t get rid of your addiction, write and I will invite you to visit. We will leave for the mountains, where there are no stores that sell blades, and there is no connection between cell phones and the Internet. One or several weeks of therapy with fresh mountain air, crystal clear water from mountain glaciers, and the spirit of a fabulous pristine nature, will remove any addiction, your spirit will be reborn, and you will regain control of your desires. Igor, I respect you and appreciate your good deeds and actions, and I will always be happy to provide you any help. Regards, Eugene.
Post Of The Year!

Nature does help me restore balance.

And I probably have enough ammunition to last me the rest of my life!

I suffer this affliction but in a more ridiculous fashion. I’ve probably got 10,000 blades and now I’ve grown a beard and I stretch blade life. If you find a cure, send it my way😬
PS. I tried switching to soaps, now I just have a hundred or so of them...🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂
I do in all honesty have OCD issues. You don’t want to fall in this rabbit hole.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I suffer this affliction but in a more ridiculous fashion. I’ve probably got 10,000 blades and now I’ve grown a beard and I stretch blade life. If you find a cure, send it my way😬
PS. I tried switching to soaps, now I just have a hundred or so of them...🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂
I do in all honesty have OCD issues. You don’t want to fall in this rabbit hole.
We all tend to make light of it, but you are right. It is a rabbit hole not worth visiting!

Top Bottom