What's new

Hello from the Bay Area

Hi All,

Looks like a found a very cool community here at Badger & Blade. Looking forward to reading up! Been DE shaving for about 5 months. I switched from the ubiquitous Mach 3. I got a shave soap molded into a glass as part of gift basket and that peaked my interest. Unfortunately, I peeled off the label at the bottom that probably had the brand on it so I have no idea what kind of soap it is but I really like it. Sort of an almond and nutmeg smell but very faint. Anyway, that's how I started with DE shaving and now just love the ritual of it all. Plus it just killed me how much I was spending on those damn cartridges. I felt I was getting suckered every time I bought a package - usually from Costco and that was $10 cheaper than elsewhere.

The first razor I got was a chrome Baili TTO/Butterfly for like $15. I still use it. After about two months I got a Parker 98R because I wanted a longer handle and was curious to see what a step up felt like. I really like the Parker. The weight is great.

Then earlier this month I got a Merkur 25c because I wanted to try an open-comb design. I'm still trying to figure this Merkur out. It's way more mild than I expected and much lighter than I expected. It leaves rake marks which at first made me think I was doing something wrong but now I think that's just part of the open-comb design. I'm trying to work the right angle and also have tried slightly twisting the bottom to get a little more of a gap between the blade and comb but it seems to slip all the way open after a few strokes. So I keep it tightened but not super tight. That's where I am with the razor sitch.

As far as soaps go, to try something new and since I needed a bowl and brush, I got the Van der Hagen starter kit which included one of their deluxe soaps, a wide boar brush, a bowl, and a stand. Since then I've used Van der Hagen Luxury, Proraso green, Williams, and an Arko puck. I love the Arko. I pretty much face lather expect with Williams which I find works better for me lathering in a bowl separate from the puck.

As for blades, I've bee rotating between Derby, Baili, Astra, and Parker. The Parker and Baili razors came with blades and I bought larger packs of Astra and Derby.

And for brushes, I have my first one, the Van der Hagen that came with the kit, an Omega S Brush (10018 Red), and a red Semogue 820. I really dig the Semogue. Plus it looks so damn good. I use that one most of the time.

In general I feel I need to perfect my technique before spending more money of blades, soaps, and razors though.

My current challenge is to figure out how to shave ATG on my neck without getting razor bumps. The hair on my neck grows up from the bottom of my neck on the left and right, but down my neck from my chin - until the very bottom where it also grows up. Just about all the shaving videos I've seen, the guy shaves down from his cheeks and continues down his neck. That would be ATG for me on the left and right sides of my neck which causes irritation. I'm going to try stretching my skin and do three passes - WTG, ATG, then XTG. I love how smooth my neck gets after shaving ATG but as you know, the irritation is going to be the deal breaker. I read somewhere one guy reminding readers that shaving is reducing the beard not removing it so if I have to skip the BBS I will but I'm still "researching."

A question I wanted to ask about shaving direction is: does the direction of the last pass you use determine the direction the hair grows in? If so, that would mean if I end the shave on my neck WTG then I should avoid in-growns right?

So that's my story morning glory. And thanks all for the welcome!

Welcome!

No, the direction you shave has no impact on your hair growth. Your hair grows the way it grows, and as far as I know, there’s no changing it.

As for shaving ATG on your neck without irritation, here’s my advice: don’t.

Seriously, if it gives you irritation, don’t bother with it. I spent years chasing the BBS shave, dealing with irritation in parts of my face (mostly on my neck and under my chin), until I finally realized the only one who can tell the difference from a BBS and a DFS is me. I’d rather the DFS and no irritation. I now do a 2 pass shave; the first WTG, the second XTG. I get a good, close shave, and no irritation.

Videos can be helpful, but remember your face and beard are different; you need to follow your own map. Good luck!

Welcome!

No, the direction you shave has no impact on your hair growth. Your hair grows the way it grows, and as far as I know, there’s no changing it.

Seriously, if it gives you irritation, don’t bother with it. I spent years chasing the BBS shave, dealing with irritation in parts of my face (mostly on my neck and under my chin), until I finally realized the only one who can tell the difference from a BBS and a DFS is me. I’d rather the DFS and no irritation. I now do a 2 pass shave; the first WTG, the second XTG. I get a good, close shave, and no irritation.

Videos can be helpful, but remember your face and beard are different; you need to follow your own map. Good luck!

^^
This.

Welcome aboard!

Howdy!

Question: Did you get irritation ATG with Mach 3?

I wonder if you are pressing too hard with the DE razor. Too much pressure, bad angle, lousy blades, cheap soap...can all be culprits.

It gets better!

As @Macfrommichigan said pressure can be a problem. Start out with almost zero pressure, and adjust as you go along. Also as others have said try to work on getting good comfortable shaves once you can consistently get a no irritation shave then your technique may alow chasing BBS.

@Macfrommichigan Thanks for the response. I never tried shaving against the grain with a Mach 3, I just never thought of it. But since starting DE shaving I've tried ATG a handful of times, yesterday being the last, and I think I'm close to giving it up due to the irritation. I'm very mindful not to apply too much pressure trying to let the razor do the work. I'm currently shaving with a Merkur 25c open comb, Astra blades with Proraso green soap. I think the shave angle is more important with this razor so I've been experimenting with angle but doesn't seem to make a difference. I also tried opening the gap between the blade and comb by twisting the handle open a tad but any more than just a tad the head starts to come loose after a few strokes. I think I may have come to the end of the road with ATG at least for now and as @SilentTuba suggests, ain't noting wrong with a DFS and no irritation.

Also trying a variety pack of blades can help. Get to g the right blade razor combo can make a big difference. I personally really like Blue Bird and KAI blades.

Welcome!

the above member has hit it right on the head, there's no way that I know of to manipulate the direction of your beard growth, you just have to map it out as best as you can and shave accordingly

good luck :001_tongu

Welcome to B&B.
A question I wanted to ask about shaving direction is: does the direction of the last pass you use determine the direction the hair grows in? If so, that would mean if I end the shave on my neck WTG then I should avoid in-growns right?
No, the direction of your hair growth is fixed. If ATG causes bumps you may havre to settle for XTGx2 to get a closer shave. Don't chase BBS but you should get better shaves as your technique improves.

@Invicta Yes I think it's gonna be XTGx2 for me. I did that this morning. It's close enough and my neck doesn't suffer. I'm sure I'll venture into ATG again but for now it's WTG and XTG. Need to perfect my angle and blade razor combo in the meantime. Thanks all for the input!

@MrBeez one more option may be to do some of the final clean up with a very mild razor. This is the method I used this morning.
Gem MMCP for most of the shave and a late 40s gellette fat handle tech on the spots on my neck that usually give me trouble. I was able to get closer than normal in those areas with little to no irritation. This may seem odd using a mild razor for stubborn hair but it worked for me.

Top Bottom