What's new

Heljestrand razors?

I'd recommend the No.16. it's a rare but very good razor, one of my favourite Heljestrands, but then again there are at least three Heljestrand razors that I haven't tried.

Arne, I was leaning that way. I love the shape and have never shaved with a rattler. I'm very curious. You insight on MKs has been invaluable to me, thank you. Do the Chinese also have a Bikini Ski Team?[emoji38]
Thank you,
Of course there's a Chinese bikini team, the only difference being that the girls aren't blonde.

A No.16 in ivory and with a thumb notch is the perhaps most valued razor I've got. OK I've got a couple of others as well.

$uploadfromtaptalk1469645196775.jpg

Arne, might you know the significance of the stamp on this side? I have mine in bone because it came in ugly black plastic scales.
View attachment 676587
Heljestrand, like other manufacturers, sold razors through the vendor/distributor A. Amos that had his firm in Tallin the capital of Estonia. That dates your razor to before the spring of 1940 when the Soviet Union occupied Estonia.

Oh my were should I start? I believe that the others already have given some good answers. For a first Heljestrand I'd choose a 5/8 with our without thumb notch. No matter the model number 3, 4, 7, 8, 31 etcetera they are really basically the same blade, arguably the best full hollow 5/8 ever produced. If you can live without the ivory and thumb notch of the 31 you get the same shaving experience with the others.

Swedish razors are small so the larger sizes are rather rare. A 32 is 6/8 and a fantastic razor but it'll cost you a leg and an arm it you are able to find one. Don't get me started about the 33, I've never seen one.

There are some late production razors that are larger. You recognise them by their high model numbers. They are good not classical Heljestrand razors.

There are people like me that praise the 30 4/8, but then we're talking about a small razor.

Avoid the framebacks and the Kindal razors they are not of the same quality as the rest.

If you can find the shoulderless no 16 you've got yourself a very good and rare razor.

The near wedge 24, 23, 41, 42, 923 are really great wedges, but not for everyone.

So to start were I begun; for a first Heljestrand I'd really recommend a full hollow 5/8. No one can deny that they are really good razors.

The only thing you can be really sure of is that once you got your first one there soon will be more. After a while you'll start exploring the many other Swedish brands as well. Good luck, take a deep breath and dive in.[emoji2]

i do have a frame back.thin wedge with brass tub on the spine.one of my very best shavers.

I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of the Mk 6's? Are those one's that should be avoided?
Not at all. No.5, 6, 9,10 are the predecessors of No.30 to 33. Slightly different grinding and jimps but that's all. Good razors and unfortunately expensive.

Very humbled today. I was gifted this by a very generous member and friend, for in his words, just doing what I do, He gave this to me as a "project razor" she needs some work and hopefully can become shave ready, but a MK*33 with black shoes to go with the Queen Mk*32 in white shoes. Speechless...

$mk33 1.jpg$mk33.2.jpg

I won't mention his name to avoid embarrassment but it is just reminds me of Flagstaff:blush:

Very humbled today. I was gifted this by a very generous member and friend, for in his words, just doing what I do, He gave this to me as a "project razor" she needs some work and hopefully can become shave ready, but a MK*33 with black shoes to go with the Queen Mk*32 in white shoes. Speechless...

View attachment 678527View attachment 678528

I won't mention his name to avoid embarrassment but it is just reminds me of Flagstaff:blush:

Dave that is an amazing gift and you are very worthy of it! Although I am very jealous. I look forward to several "after" pictures.

He wasn't by any chance tied to a chair with having a gun pointed at him when he gave it to you? [emoji39] On a more serious note; that's a very generous gift. My eyes have a deep emerald colour at the moment.

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

LOL Arne No, I was good it was a total surprise and no injuries[emoji38]
Dave, as John wrote above you deserve such a gift. I haven't shaved with one, most were sold abroad. I've always wondered though how it compares to the 32. I guess that you'll tell us and if you do I'll savoir ever word (as I always do).

She needs some work, I am hoping I can get her to shave right, geometry looks good, a couple of toe issues but I will take my time, maybe even send it out to one of the Magicians, but I will let you know

Top Bottom