What's new

HD vs Slant

Hi

After 1½ years of DE shaving with these two razors, I've finally decided that I actually prefer the HD. Sure I get a quicker shave with the slant but the potential for irritation and nicks seems greater. I can get just as good BBS with the HD with perhaps one more pass, but hardly ever have a cut or irritation. Slant=quicker, HD=smoother for this guy.

I've ordered a Jagger DE89L now, and expect it may outperform the HD.

Hi

After 1½ years of DE shaving with these two razors, I've finally decided that I actually prefer the HD. Sure I get a quicker shave with the slant but the potential for irritation and nicks seems greater. I can get just as good BBS with the HD with perhaps one more pass, but hardly ever have a cut or irritation. Slant=quicker, HD=smoother for this guy.

Pretty much what I've found as well. :smile:

The Slant and the HD are both great razors.

Still it comes down to personal choice.

I just couldn't handle the Slant as it was to aggressive for my skin.

Great shave ,but my face was on fire for the whole day.

The HD just does it for me.

Of course YMMV.:cool:

Yeah, I don't care for the slant either. The slant doesn't give me as good a shave as the HD. But IMHO the Merkur 1904 is even better that the HD. :biggrin: :tongue: :rolleyes:

The Jagger DE89L arrived and I just finished my first shave with it. In a word .. incredible! Smoother than the HD for sure.

The Jagger DE89L arrived and I just finished my first shave with it. In a word .. incredible! Smoother than the HD for sure.

OK, now see what you have done! Now I have to order one.:ohmy:
(But at least you saved me from buying a slant.)

Seriously, I have been considering for some time to order a EJ 89L and now its time to push the button.

/Alexander

OK, now see what you have done! Now I have to order one.:ohmy:
(But at least you saved me from buying a slant.)

Seriously, I have been considering for some time to order a EJ 89L and now its time to push the button.

/Alexander

Do it, you'll love it!

I have been shaving with a DE for about a year. The HD was my first razor. I have had the slant for about 6 months and when I first used it I was shocked to find it gave me less irritation than the HD.

Guess everyone's different.

I shaved exclusively with a Merkur Slant for a while. It's a great razor and, IMO, is only "aggressive" if you don't shave properly with it. Paying attention to angle and using no pressure are a must - you can get away with it with other razors, but not the Slant. Consequently, my shaving technique improved during that period where I only used a Slant.

I eventually decided that I preferred the HD... and now I prefer my Muhle R89, but truth be told, I think I'll always come back the HD. It's just a great razor.

I shaved exclusively with a Merkur Slant for a while. It's a great razor and, IMO, is only "aggressive" if you don't shave properly with it. Paying attention to angle and using no pressure are a must - you can get away with it with other razors, but not the Slant. Consequently, my shaving technique improved during that period where I only used a Slant.

I eventually decided that I preferred the HD... and now I prefer my Muhle R89, but truth be told, I think I'll always come back the HD. It's just a great razor.

My progression was exactly the same. First DE was the HD, followed by a long period of slant use. Rediscovered the HD and found the shaves smoother, then bought the Jagger which has the same head as the Muhle. I'll give the Jagger a few weeks exclusively then try the HD again. Curious how I find it. I'm loving the Jagger DE89L.

I have been shaving with a DE for about a year. The HD was my first razor. I have had the slant for about 6 months and when I first used it I was shocked to find it gave me less irritation than the HD.

Guess everyone's different.

The slant and HD are both different. I can get excellent shaves with both but am more likely to nick myself with the slant. I have to shave slower with the slant so not sure why people say it's a quicker shave with the slant. Maybe because the slant is more aggressive you can do less passes with it which means less irritation but I do the same number of passes with both razors. Slant is good for a change when I don't have to rush and want to try a new thing and I TAKE MY TIME WITH IT or I see blood.

Aaron

Hi

I've ordered a Jagger DE89L now, and expect it may outperform the HD.

Where did you order the Jagger DE89L from?

When I use more aggressive razors, I find that I usually get a closer shave but I also get more irritation and nicks. The extra closeness is usually pretty minor when compared to a NEW, Tech, or SS. For me, we are talking BBS on 90% of the face instead of 95% and that extra 5% just isn't worth the extra pain.

Razors like the slant, 38c, etc.. are just curiosities now more than anything. I use them occasionally and that is it.

I'm with you gents. I've been from HD to Vision to Slant to Futur and back. The HD just gives a very comfortable shave.

Top Bottom