What's new

Haverford vs Vanille de Tabac

Hi all!

I had the pleasure of smelling Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille once, and I loved it.
My budget is a bit strained so I was thinking on the second best choice for a wet shaver, a soap and AS inspired by, or a clone of, TF Tobacco Vanille.
All you experienced wet shavers and frag heads, what would you choose based on smell and post shave feeling?
The soaps and AS that are most readily available to me are Haverford and Vanille de Tabac.

I have a bottle of the Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which I LOVE. I also have a few tabacco scented shave soaps including: PAA Cavendish, Stirling Haverford, and A&E Vanille de Tabac.

Without a doubt, Stirling is the closest to smelling like Tom Ford's perfum. It's missing some of the rich complexity that comes from Tom Ford, but you'd expect that given the massive price differential/ingredients. The A&E has a much deeper, almost brown sugar note to it. And Cavendish is much more of a sweet cherry tabacco, much less honeyed than the Tom Ford/Stirling.

Hope that helps.

Love Stirling Haverford. Of the tobacco scents that I’ve tried it’s my favorite

Love the tobacco component of this but it has a maple syrupiness to it that I’m not fond of

I always find it interesting how different peoples sense of smell is. Ive never noticed a maple syrupiness in it. But its been a while since using it and Im gonna take a whiff of it and see if I can find that note.

I always find it interesting how different peoples sense of smell is. Ive never noticed a maple syrupiness in it. But its been a while since using it and Im gonna take a whiff of it and see if I can find that note.
Yeah. Everything in this hobby is so subjective. I know a couple other people have mentioned that it has a certain sweetness to it

CBL Cigar Shoppe Hombre also has a dusty, humidor-ish tobacco scent. It’s really nice. It isn’t a gourmand scent at all, nor is it in your face. To me, it smells like the Cubans my old man used to smoke with a library behind it.

I ordered, and received, Haverford soap and after shave.

The scent of the soap is just beautiful, the lather is thick and creamy, nice post shave feeling.
The after shave is also very nice, feels good on my skin, the scent is very strong and it sits for the whole day and I just love it.

The wife?
No, it's a big no for her, she hates it almost as much as she hates Tabac.

I second the nod for Stirling's Haverford. I have the soap and the actual Tom Ford fragrance. I'm getting kind of close to the end of my soap and was loosely planning on ordering some more soon with the aftershave this time.

I also have some P.A.A. Cavendish and love it as well. In my book is not even close to Haverford or T.V. but I like it a bunch for its own unique profile.

I've yet to try A&E's offering and would totally love to try it but I don't know when that will be. I'm sure I'd like it a lot though.

I think if you love T.V. then the choice is easy. Go with Stirling's Haverford and bask in the tobacco glory. 😁

I stumbled across this thread and I just received my Haverford sample this week! I don't know what it is about tobacco and vanilla, but it is my favorite! I have not smelled the Tom Ford, but do I need to?! How can you beat Stirling in price?! A 100ml bottle of Tom Ford on Macy's is $340! I can get the soap, splash, balm, EDT, bath soap, lotion, AND a candle for less than $100!

Another good tobacco and vanilla is from Bricktown Grooming - San Juan Hill. Their soap is so good and their AS splash is good too! I think I like it just a little bit more than Haverford, but I'm definitely buying the Haverford balm and solid cologne from Stirling!

I do have PAA Cavendish, too, but I agree with @Time Bandit that it has its own scent profile. And Cavendish is AMAZING too! lol

Enjoy!

I stumbled across this thread and I just received my Haverford sample this week! I don't know what it is about tobacco and vanilla, but it is my favorite! I have not smelled the Tom Ford, but do I need to?! How can you beat Stirling in price?! A 100ml bottle of Tom Ford on Macy's is $340! I can get the soap, splash, balm, EDT, bath soap, lotion, AND a candle for less than $100!

Another good tobacco and vanilla is from Bricktown Grooming - San Juan Hill. Their soap is so good and their AS splash is good too! I think I like it just a little bit more than Haverford, but I'm definitely buying the Haverford balm and solid cologne from Stirling!

I do have PAA Cavendish, too, but I agree with @Time Bandit that it has its own scent profile. And Cavendish is AMAZING too! lol

Enjoy!
Nice. I'm glad you got ahold of some Haverford. It really is good and like you pointed out, you can't beat it on price. There's far more value going with a multitude of Stirling products verus the T.F. f fragrance.

Since my post last November I haven't re-uped on Haverford but I have decided that I'm instead going to go with Tabacchi from Master Soap Creations. It's also an homage to Tobacco Vanille. I want to try out MSC as I don't have any of their soaps yet and hear great things about their base.

I do want to say that you should check out Gunslinger from Hendrix Classics & Company. It's a very nice tobacco vanilla with some additional character that I love and I think you will too.

Top Bottom