What's new

Have You Shaved Someone Else?

Hello gents--

I'm starting to work on a video about how to shave someone else. Not like a barber mind you, this would be more like shaving someone who couldn't shave themself due to age or disability. I want to make it a pleasant experience but probably not a BBS shave kind of thing (though perhaps with traditional soap/cream and brush with a 'modern' razor). I asked this in a post on my blog but I didn't get enough response I think.

Has anyone who has done this offer any advice?

--Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you ask that. When my dad came to visit (he's in his late 70's) I offered him a shave. Granted, I don't know how to shave someone with a straight but I used one of my long handled Super Adjustables with a Personna Lab. I got a warm wet towel, put it on his face and after, added some T&H preshave oil. I lathered him up with Proraso loaded in my restored ER150 brush with a Whipped Dog Silvertip. I did 3 passes, first at 6, then 4, and at the 2 setting. I cleaned him up with another warm towel and added witch hazel on his face (his request). I finally fished it off with some Clubman and fanned his face with a towel. The ole' man liked the shave.
He said, I'd give you a tip but I've given you all the tips you need.
It was a good bonding experience.

Many many years ago when I was a nursing student I worked in a hospital as an orderly. I frequently shaved men as part of my job. I not only shaved areas that were to be operated on, but I also shaved men's faces when they requested. The only razors I had available were inexpensive plastic disposables and the only soap was canned aerosol goop. BBS shaves were not high on my agenda since I was getting much less than minimum wage and I would have to take care of many patients, but I never once cut anyone.

My mother had been taking care of father before he passed away, and she shaved his face every day with what ever disposable she had at hand. She would run her hand over dad's face to make sure she got a BBS shave every time.

After reading the title of this thread from the main forum page I was thinking "hmm, what a coincidence, just read an article from sharpologist concerning this, on my flipboard feed." Then I saw it was you who started this thread.

I shave the wife's legs regularly and it's taught me about pressure - I tend to go much slower and be far more concsious of the feedback from the blade. Without having the tactile response from your own skin/face you really concentrate on the feel through the fingers. The biggest advantage though is visual; you aren't working "backwards" as in looking at a mirror and you CAN get very close with your eyes which means you make micro-adjustments in angle due to the lather being either "moved" or "skipped" over. I tend to get really close with my face and have a close sight picture; I also tend to move the blade AWAY from me so that I can see the skin being shaved and what's being left after the blade passes. You also have much better ability to change grip/stretch skin on the angles. I have only ever nicked her once (minor weeper) in almost 10 months of shaving her legs. Hope this applies to face as I've only ever done legs.

I have a client with Muscular Dystrophy (I'm a long-time massage therapist) and GBS (a form of nerve damage) and he has no use of his arms...once a week I go over to his home and give one hour of massage and then shave both his face and head. I'd love to tell you I do it with a DE, but nope, it's done with a Wahl electric multi-bladed shaver/trimmer. It's been a learning curve that takes patience, as he won't sit still. We do his head first, back to front and then with touchups, and then his face. I get a towel really hot as prep and he likes a little witchhazel in the mix afterwards using the same towel. The work is not easy taking the time is the key. But he loves the attention and that's what counts.:001_smile

I have a client with Muscular Dystrophy (I'm a long-time massage therapist) and GBS (a form of nerve damage) and he has no use of his arms...once a week I go over to his home and give one hour of massage and then shave both his face and head. I'd love to tell you I do it with a DE, but nope, it's done with a Wahl electric multi-bladed shaver/trimmer. It's been a learning curve that takes patience, as he won't sit still. We do his head first, back to front and then with touchups, and then his face. I get a towel really hot as prep and he likes a little witchhazel in the mix afterwards using the same towel. The work is not easy taking the time is the key. But he loves the attention and that's what counts.:001_smile

Cool but a little sad story man, I bet your job is very rewarding.

This is a touchy subject. I advise you to take your own advice.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's touchy about this subject? It seems completely harmless. I'll be attempting to give my father a proper DE shave this weekend, and there's nothing touchy about it.

I shaved my son before he went to his graduation. I wanted him to look good! I have also shaved my wife's legs.

I find it difficult to shave another person. The muscle memory is totally different and find myself thinking about it a lot more.

Interesting thread. Don't have much advice except to speculate that if you are adept with shaving yourself, I think the transition shouldn't be all that difficult as you already understand the basics and realize going slow initially is very important. Perhaps most difficult is the willingness/ability of the subjest to remain relatively still. If you are not a wetshaver, I would suggest practicing technique on yourself before attempting on another. While I've never really thought about it, I think a video of this type would be very valuable to many. Best of luck, I hope you will notify us when it's on-line.

The first person I ever shaved was my uncle. I was 13-14 and needed to shave myself, he offered to practice on him. Lathered him up and used a disposable razor. He never complained.

I have shaved many men in my time as a Disability Support Officer. I have always found it easier standing behind the person both facing the mirror. Also you can get them to twist their head/face to keep the surface as flat as possible.
slow and steady deffinatley wins this race in my experience.

You might say I've had experience shaving someone else. I was an embalmer for seventeen years before changing careers....I too found it best to stand behind and yes, they were on the table.

Had to be expecially careful about razor burn becuase healing was not an option.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mark:
I wish I had something to offer, but I'm sure your video will be first class and a 'keeper'! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape”. Anonymous

Top Bottom