What's new

Haslinger - Late to the Party

Just an observation...why grate up a puck to make a shave stick? Their pucks seem small enough to use the puck itself in the same way as a shave stick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just an observation...why grate up a puck to make a shave stick? Their pucks seem small enough to use the puck itself in the same way as a shave stick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can use the pucks that way, I think that works fine, too (maybe a little slippery & messy, though). It is just that if you have a stick container already, this is an easy way to made the soap fit.

My favorite containers are the push-up sticks. For the twist-up style, those little plastic screws tend to break and they take up space better used for soap.

I think I will order a few to throw into my travel bag. Just slip them into ziploc bags so they take up almost no room. I'll try rubbing them directly on my face by hand.

I love Haslinger!. Use it as a stick....rub it in then face or head lather....you don't need to rub much.

Boxes: Walmart has some baby food plastic things...made in New Zeland....round and fit these perfectly screw on cap. Sold in 3, different color caps.

Last edited:
Haslinger's is one of the best soaps I've used. As mentioned, it builds lather quickly and easily and the shaves I get are really nice. I only wish it had a stronger smell, but in no way should they change anything. I know they recently changed from tallow to glycerin, but although I've read good reviews on it, I haven't had a chance to try it. I have a good supply of different scents on hand. Just opened a new tallow based Schafmilch!

Haslinger's is one of the best soaps I've used. As mentioned, it builds lather quickly and easily and the shaves I get are really nice. I only wish it had a stronger smell, but in no way should they change anything. I know they recently changed from tallow to glycerin, but although I've read good reviews on it, I haven't had a chance to try it. I have a good supply of different scents on hand. Just opened a new tallow based Schafmilch!

Though to beat the old Schafmilch IMO!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haslinger's is one of the best soaps I've used...I know they recently changed from tallow to glycerin, but although I've read good reviews on it, I haven't had a chance to try it...
The new formulation is not very different from the previous in performance. They didn't ruin it. It's not a glycerin soap. What they did was change from tallow to vegetable-based stearic acid. It is still a great line of soaps.

The new formulation is not very different from the previous in performance. They didn't ruin it. It's not a glycerin soap. What they did was change from tallow to vegetable-based stearic acid. It is still a great line of soaps.

+1

Both versions are great, IMO.

+1! ’They didn’t ruin it.’ Still a very good soap. I just prefer the Old Stock (fortunately have a good stash)!

+1! ’They didn’t ruin it.’ Still a very good soap. I just prefer the Old Stock (fortunately have a good stash)!
I hear that all the time, what is it about the old formula that is significantly different in performance terms? People around here seem to go for tallow like it's some magical ingredient! Animal vs. vegetable stearic acid, this is just chemistry.
:confused2

Maybe because the British reformulations a few years back were so poor, IDK?

I hear that all the time, what is it about the old formula that is significantly different in performance terms? People around here seem to go for tallow like it's some magical ingredient! Animal vs. vegetable stearic acid, this is just chemistry.
:confused2

Maybe because the British reformulations a few years back were so poor, IDK?

Great question!

I prefer how the OS lathers and, for me, the skin conditioning is superior. PLUS the new version is far superior to many of the ‘artisan’ soaps that I have tried! :a14: :a14:

YMMV for sure.

I think I will order a few to throw into my travel bag. Just slip them into ziploc bags so they take up almost no room. I'll try rubbing them directly on my face by hand.
Not elegant, but this is how I'd handle it. If you hold the puck at its perimeter and load it from the bottom, then place the puck with the dry side down, the loading side is pretty much dry by the time you finish shaving. I suppose you can throw it in any container at that point, including a ziolock baggie.

Two and a half months for a puck of Coconut for me. Loads and builds lather increadibly easily.

My order of four Haslinger soaps came in today and I tried out the Sheep's Milk puck. I loaded it as you suggested FL shaver and the lather exploded as soon as I touched the brush to my face. I got a 2-pass BBS shave with my Blackbird and my face feels great. No irritation.

This has completely solved my travel soap quest as I can easily wrap two of those pucks in a Ziploc bag and be on my merry way.

Truly a top-tier soap.

Top Bottom