What's new

Has anyone used the Vie-Long horse hair brushes?

Hello gents,

Recently purchased a super badger brush and an omega boar brush. I like the badger brush but I wish it had a bit more backbone. Now the boar brush to me is a bit too stiff, however I understand that it needs to be broken in. I’ve heard that horse hair brushes are a great in-between type brush. However, I have never personally used one. I’ve heard good things about Vie-Long and I notice that Semogue makes some as well. Would really appreciate if any vie-long or horsehair brush owners could let me know what they’re like and recommend the best one for me. I prefer a smaller knot maybe 20-22mm, and I like hefty handles.

Best wishes,
Yamato

I tried a Vie-long brush once, don't remember the model number but is the same model of the Cremo brush (one of the cheapest in brown) and it wasn't bad just at first it stinked a lot , not badger or boar that I ever had came close... Remember that horse hair brushes are better if used in painting motions and not whirl ones. The sensation was different, needed some care to avoid tangles and it was prickly. Yesterday I recieved a Semogue horse (the smaller ones) and to compare it doesn't stank, some odor but normal. I am going to try it today to see performance.

Aside horses, did you consider Pure Badger? If you can stand some prickliness a badger in Gray or Black is superb and not so expensive. I have an Omega in Black, Simpson in Pure and a Semogue in Gray and they have very good backbone...

Cheers

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

Vie-Long have a mixed reputation. I like mine, but many are not pleased with theirs. If you want backbone, I would recommend a short loft. They have a white horsehair bristle that is 50% mane / 50% tail hair, that would be the least scritchy.

My brush is a fan shape, good for face lathering. Epsilon model 12705B, made by Vie-Long:
epsilon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-fan-shape-12705b.jpg
20mm Epsilon white horsehair, model 13071B:
epsilon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-13071b.jpg
The largest handle is the American Style:
brocha-barbera-vie-long-american-style-caballo-blanco.jpg

Other makes you may want to look at include Zenith, but the knots I have seen tend to be on the larger side.

Last edited:
I bought the cheapest Vie Long I could find for about $10 in Spain just to try. And I really like it. It’s a great cheap buy. It’s worth experimenting with a cheap one and it’s worth the funk too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a Vie-long brush once, don't remember the model number but is the same model of the Cremo brush (one of the cheapest in brown) and it wasn't bad just at first it stinked a lot , not badger or boar that I ever had came close... Remember that horse hair brushes are better if used in painting motions and not whirl ones. The sensation was different, needed some care to avoid tangles and it was prickly. Yesterday I recieved a Semogue horse (the smaller ones) and to compare it doesn't stank, some odor but normal. I am going to try it today to see performance.

Aside horses, did you consider Pure Badger? If you can stand some prickliness a badger in Gray or Black is superb and not so expensive. I have an Omega in Black, Simpson in Pure and a Semogue in Gray and they have very good backbone...

Cheers

Thanks for the info! I have heard about the tangling and smell issues of horse hair brushes. I’ve also heard that you have to comb them or brush them occasionally, is that true? Look forward to hearing how you find your semogue!

I believe the brush that came with my inexpensive safety razor stand is pure badger. To be honest I like it but the handle is too light for my taste. Have yet to try a proper pure or best badger brush though. Have yet to try black or grey badger but it’s on my list!

Best regards,

Yamato

Vie-Long have a mixed reputation. I like mine, but many are not pleased with theirs. If you want backbone, I would recommend a short loft. They have a white horsehair bristle that is 50% mane / 50% tail hair, that would be the least scritchy.

My brush is a fan shape, good for face lathering. Epsilon model 12705B, made by Vie-Long:
View attachment 1082945
20mm Epsilon white horsehair, model 13071B:
View attachment 1082944
The largest handle is the American Style:
View attachment 1082941

Other makes you may want to look at include Zenith, but the knots I have seen tend to be on the larger side.

Hey there thanks for the info. Another user mentioned that tangling is an issue with their vie-long. Is tangling still a problem with your short loft? I like the fan shape tbh so tempted by it. Is the brown hair vie-long very different from the white hair one?

Best wishes,

Yamato

I bought the cheapest Vie Long I could find for about $10 in Spain just to try. And I really like it. It’s a great cheap buy. It’s worth experimenting with a cheap one and it’s worth the funk too!

Is the $10 one the one with the wooden handle and metal cap? I wasn’t sure if the cap was solid metal because it said “metallic” so I was worried it was métal coloured plastic. What colour is your horse hair by the way?

Best wishes,

Yamato

Hey there thanks for the info. Another user mentioned that tangling is an issue with their vie-long. Is tangling still a problem with your short loft? I like the fan shape tbh so tempted by it. Is the brown hair vie-long very different from the white hair one?
Tangling is more of an issue with brushes that have a tall loft. I do comb mine out every so often, but I don't think of that as a problem. I only takes a few seconds.

It is not a good idea to smash any horsehair brush into the face as people sometimes like to do. Just light pressure, a mix of circular and painter strokes can develop a nice lather. You have to adapt to the brush, you can't treat it the same as a badger and then blame the brush for being what it is. Smashing the brush into the face, while running in circles, is where people get in trouble with these brushes, IMHO.

White 50/50 is the softest horsehair Vie-Long has. Some brushes are 35/65 mane/tail and those are not nearly as soft as 50/50. The brown is more prickly, by far.

Last edited:
Tangling is more of an issue with brushes that have a tall loft. I do comb mine out every so often, but I don't think of that as a problem. I only takes a few seconds.

It is not a good idea to smash any horsehair brush into the face as people sometimes like to do. Just light pressure, a mix of circular and painter strokes can develop a nice lather. You have to adapt to the brush, you can't treat it the same as a badger and then blame the brush for being what it is. Smashing the brush into the face, while running in circles, is where people get in trouble with these brushes, IMHO.

Okay that’s good to know I tend to apply quite light pressure with my brushes in the bowl and on my face. But when I heard about the tangling problem it freaked me out a little bit. Was considering this one (very good price imo).
CB27D49B-446F-4F13-B2DD-C26549DAD8F0.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I have heard about the tangling and smell issues of horse hair brushes. I’ve also heard that you have to comb them or brush them occasionally, is that true? Look forward to hearing how you find your semogue!

I believe the brush that came with my inexpensive safety razor stand is pure badger. To be honest I like it but the handle is too light for my taste. Have yet to try a proper pure or best badger brush though. Have yet to try black or grey badger but it’s on my list!

Best regards,

Yamato
Yeah it's true.. These are the Semogues I am going to try these days

proxy.php

Cheers

Okay that’s good to know I tend to apply quite light pressure with my brushes in the bowl and on my face. But when I heard about the tangling problem it freaked me out a little bit. Was considering this one (very good price imo).
That is a good price and a nice size, too. The only things that would concern me with that one is being 21mm it is not that densely packed compared with the 24mm fan shape, and the 35/65 is a bit prickly. I prefer the 24mm 50/50 white fan, it is more of a chubby profile with good backbone.

Last edited:
That is a good price and a nice size, too. The only things that would concern me with that one is being 21mm it is not that densely packed compared with the 24mm fan shape, and the 35/65 is a bit prickly. I prefer the 24mm 50/50 white fan, it is more of a chubby profile with good backbone.

That’s a great brush and thank you for the link. Looks to be a euro seller too which should help since I’m in the U.K. Which soaps do you tend to use with horse hair brushes? I have a lot of old formulation C&E soaps in the bowl and a bowl of proraso red (which is much softer than I remember). I’m guessing it would be better to use HH with hard soap and BH with soft soap?

-Yamato

That’s a great brush and thank you for the link. Looks to be a euro seller too which should help since I’m in the U.K. Which soaps do you tend to use with horse hair brushes? I have a lot of old formulation C&E soaps in the bowl and a bowl of proraso red (which is much softer than I remember). I’m guessing it would be better to use HH with hard soap and BH with soft soap?
I usually use boar brushes for my hardest soaps, badger is mostly for creams. The horsehair brush is in-between boar hair and badger hair so it can do well with most soaps and creams, actually. It works very well with Italian soft soaps such as Cella or Proraso.

Hello gents,

Recently purchased a super badger brush and an omega boar brush. I like the badger brush but I wish it had a bit more backbone. Now the boar brush to me is a bit too stiff, however I understand that it needs to be broken in. I’ve heard that horse hair brushes are a great in-between type brush. However, I have never personally used one. I’ve heard good things about Vie-Long and I notice that Semogue makes some as well. Would really appreciate if any vie-long or horsehair brush owners could let me know what they’re like and recommend the best one for me. I prefer a smaller knot maybe 20-22mm, and I like hefty handles.

Best wishes,
Yamato
I don't think horse hair is going to be your answer here. My Vie Long 12705 is pretty floppy with low backbone and high scritch. Not a good combination but I keep it for memory sake and it's my only horse hair brush.

For more backbone while not being stiff, I recommend you try a 2-band badger. There are great value options from stores like Maggard and Stirling. I think they're the best bang for the buck.

I don't think horse hair is going to be your answer here. My Vie Long 12705 is pretty floppy with low backbone and high scritch. Not a good combination but I keep it for memory sake and it's my only horse hair brush.

For more backbone while not being stiff, I recommend you try a 2-band badger. There are great value options from stores like Maggard and Stirling. I think they're the best bang for the buck.

Thank you these are interesting suggestions. Any opinion on mixed brushes? I.e. horse hair + boar or horse hair + badger? Saw some of those as options by Vie-Long as well.

-Yamato

...I don't think horse hair is going to be your answer here. My Vie Long 12705 is pretty floppy with low backbone and high scritch...
:huh: :confused1

That's not my experience at all with the 12705B, the white 50/50 fan shape horse hair brush. The loft is only 50mm and it's a fairly dense 24mm knot, how can that be floppy? White 50/50 horsehair is soft with minimal scritch.

Much more floppy would be the Vie-Long 04312 Cachurro horse hair brush. That is only a 21mm knot with a 65mm loft.

______Tall & Thin_____vs____Short & Chubby____
vie-long-cab.jpgepsilon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-fan-shape-12705b.jpg

I use a Vie-Long. I like it as it is a change from my Omega 10048 and my Simpson’s and Escali badgers. It face lathers well.

Thank you these are interesting suggestions. Any opinion on mixed brushes? I.e. horse hair + boar or horse hair + badger? Saw some of those as options by Vie-Long as well.

-Yamato
I'm still waiting to try mixed brushes as well. I think Boar and badger mix brushes are the most popular i.e. Semogue mistura and Maggard/APshaveco mixed kntos.

Top Bottom