What's new

Harry's sells out

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, people out of work anywhere is no good. It would have been hard to knock back the price though.

Interesting. Unilever also bought Dollar Shave Club. Seems they are trying to corner the market for the monthly subscription service. DSC's cartridges are still Dorco, not Personna/Schick. However, now that they have Harry's how long before both companies are combined and the razors/cartridges are replaced with another product?

Interesting. Unilever also bought Dollar Shave Club. Seems they are trying to corner the market for the monthly subscription service. DSC's cartridges are still Dorco, not Personna/Schick. However, now that they have Harry's how long before both companies are combined and the razors/cartridges are replaced with another product?
Why would DSC not continue to sell Dorco?

Why would DSC not continue to sell Dorco?
Because I am an idiot. For some reason I misread something and thought Edgewell was part of Unilever. Please disregard my last post.

However, I am shocked Unilever hasn't tried to acquire Edgewell or Dorco.

Because I am an idiot. For some reason I misread something and thought Edgewell was part of Unilever. Please disregard my last post.

However, I am shocked Unilever hasn't tried to acquire Edgewell or Dorco.
A few years ago, several companies mirrored their competitors. Gillette sold razors and batteries, Energizer sold razors and batteries. Nestle sold water and baby products, Danone sold water and baby products. I could go on. So it is surprising that Unilever hasn't made a bid for Edgewell. I am not sure how well DSC is doing for Unilever, but that was it's third attempt at the razor game.

I think one of the biggest differences to DSC is that Harry's also has a retail presence in addition to online subscriptions. You can walk into Target and pick up a Harry's razor or blades.

I wonder if Edgewell will continue that as having those cheaper Harry's blades sitting right next to Schick could affect sales of the more "premium" brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think one of the biggest differences to DSC is that Harry's also has a retail presence in addition to online subscriptions. You can walk into Target and pick up a Harry's razor or blades.

I wonder if Edgewell will continue that as having those cheaper Harry's blades sitting right next to Schick could affect sales of the more "premium" brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at least now the money goes into their pocket either way and they have a brand to compete with DSC and similar. Though these days you can "subscribe" to any and all of them.

I'm not sure if Edgewell will keep the Harry's brand or change it or what. Time will tell.

But at least now the money goes into their pocket either way and they have a brand to compete with DSC and similar. Though these days you can "subscribe" to any and all of them.

I'm not sure if Edgewell will keep the Harry's brand or change it or what. Time will tell.

Right. I wouldn't expect any product changes anytime soon. This is the kind of deal businesses make so that Harry's has the resources to keep expanding and growing their business while Edgewell adds to its executive talent and its customer base to show its shareholders some growth and keep them happy. I don't see them throwing the Harry's name away either, it has market traction. It doesn't look to have necessarily been an immediate cost savings move.

There may come a time where there is consolidation, but there's no sign it's happening anytime soon. Hell, Edgewell owns both the German blade factory where Wilkinson and Schick are made, and the Israeli factory where private-label "Personna" blades are made. Both are just continuing as they were. Unless the German factories are operating far enough below capacity that it would make sense to consolidate, there's no obvious reason they should.

Top Bottom