What's new

Hard Luck with Damaskeenes

Bad luck has struck twice. I bought two of the ever popular Damaskeene razors. One arrived with some odd damage. The thumb tab that opens the lid has been partially sheared off diagonally. Razor works but needs to have the tab filed to eliminate a sharp spot. (see photo) I'm in a battle with the EBAY seller at the moment. He seems to feel this damage is part of being "antique."

The second razor I used yesterday. Started off getting a great shave...then I noticed the blade had moved back at one corner. I readjusted it but it moved again later. I noticed there was something rattling and saw it was the spring bar (or whatever you call it) and it was loose when the lid was closed. My other razor did not have this rattle or movement so I knew something was broken.

I don't see how this loose/broken spring can be fixed but I'm open to your help here. Otherwise, I just bought a nice handle.

See photos.

View attachment 244216View attachment 244217View attachment 244218View attachment 244219

Bad luck has struck twice. I bought two of the ever popular Damaskeene razors. One arrived with some odd damage. The thumb tab that opens the lid has been partially sheared off diagonally. Razor works but needs to have the tab filed to eliminate a sharp spot. (see photo) I'm in a battle with the EBAY seller at the moment. He seems to feel this damage is part of being "antique."

What is the item URL?

Damage is never part of something and should be listed as damage. Your seller sounds like they would say the box of broken glass you received is just part of that vase being an antique. Does not fly.

The item URL would go a long ways in helping you

I don't see how this loose/broken spring can be fixed but I'm open to your help here. Otherwise, I just bought a nice handle.

See photos.

View attachment 244216View attachment 244217View attachment 244218View attachment 244219

Your photos are DOA.

Use this method to attach pics in a post

$addImage.gif

Ugh. #1, you're paying for the damaskeene head, so, yeah, worth a fight.
#2, you should be able to pop the top cover, and use a pair of flat-nose pliers to **gently** bend the spring downward.

Ugh. #1, you're paying for the damaskeene head, so, yeah, worth a fight.
#2, you should be able to pop the top cover, and use a pair of flat-nose pliers to **gently** bend the spring downward.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. BTW, the seller of the razor with the broken spring refunded my money including shipping, and told me to keep the razor. So it won't hurt for me to try and fix it. And it's refreshing to see a seller do the right them without a big struggle. I've got an EBAY claim against the other seller (sliced tab) who's the exact opposite of the good seller.

I'd check to make sure the two rivets are holding the spring tight against the back of the frame. Also, if the frame is bent back the area of the rivets, that could also reduce tension on the lever spring.

I'd check to make sure the two rivets are holding the spring tight against the back of the frame. Also, if the frame is bent back the area of the rivets, that could also reduce tension on the lever spring.
Just took off the lid. Came off pretty easy. The spring is held in place by a metal tang underneath (the middle piece of the riveted section). It appears I may need to take a punch and give that tang a light tap or two to press it harder against the spring. Or, as you suggest, it may be something is out of alignment or bent in the frame. But, as I see it, the only thing that will restore spring tightness is to get that tang to press harder against the spring metal.

Any thoughts on this repair tactic?

I hope I'm explaining this well enough. Not sure of the parts nomenclature.

Last edited:
OK, I disassembled the razor and I have determined the razor is officially broken. I was lucky I got a full refund including shipping...so I ended up with a free handle that I like better than on my other Damaskeene. So, I can say this was a semi happy ending.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As you have the top cover off, I'd install a blade so you can really see how much spring tension or lever throw you need to increase to got the blade secure against the blade hooks. You might be able to by with only a small tweak.

OK, I disassembled the razor and I have determined the razor is officially broken. I was lucky I got a full refund including shipping...so I ended up with a free handle that I like better than on my other Damaskeene. So, I can say this was a semi happy ending.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Need new rivets, is the spring tab broken, or...? I'm buying some heavy sheet brass to remake the spring on my Kampfe, and I'll be needing some 1/16" brass rivets, if I do it. LMK, I'll have extras...

Need new rivets, is the spring tab broken, or...? I'm buying some heavy sheet brass to remake the spring on my Kampfe, and I'll be needing some 1/16" brass rivets, if I do it. LMK, I'll have extras...
Thanks for the offer man. I looked over the entire head and I think it's been abused. Besides the spring problem, I see surface distortion and things look slightly out of alignment. Don't see an easy fix.

The only advice I can give if you love the Damaskeene as much as I do.... Find or buy more of them. I have 5 at last count.
For my face, nothing equals the shave it gives. Its like jeans that fit you perfect, you only own 1 pair?

Ive had that spring thingy break on one, blade tabs snap off on others..... hence "stock up on D's"
Enjoy

The only advice I can give if you love the Damaskeene as much as I do.... Find or buy more of them. I have 5 at last count.
For my face, nothing equals the shave it gives. Its like jeans that fit you perfect, you only own 1 pair?

Ive had that spring thingy break on one, blade tabs snap off on others..... hence "stock up on D's"
Enjoy
I have another Damas which has a minor problem but it shaves very well...and I'm hunting for another nicer one to add to my den.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear you had these problems and glad to hear you got a refund.

I agree, there's lots of these razors still available and just not worth extraordinary repair effort unless there's something really special about it.

I now have quite a growing collection of these 1912 guys (only one Damaskeene), and will probably sell some, but I've never seen any that had damage. Some of mine, mostly from lots, have cosmetic flaws but all are fully functional. I'm a little surprised to hear of broken springs etc.

I always look at photos carefully, and if I can't clearly see critical things like blade stops, or if things look out of alignment like the tab and spring in this case, I give it a pass.

But in general, I think this is a pretty robust design. I recently got a second "Made in England" 1912 Ever-Ready, and one of the blade stops looked slightly bent upward. Not a functional issue, but I wanted it to be the same. So I pressed that stop down on a kitchen counter a couple of times and it came around right. I like things that are simple, durable, fixable.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear you had these problems and glad to hear you got a refund.

I agree, there's lots of these razors still available and just not worth extraordinary repair effort unless there's something really special about it.

I now have quite a growing collection of these 1912 guys (only one Damaskeene), and will probably sell some, but I've never seen any that had damage. Some of mine, mostly from lots, have cosmetic flaws but all are fully functional. I'm a little surprised to hear of broken springs etc.

I always look at photos carefully, and if I can't clearly see critical things like blade stops, or if things look out of alignment like the tab and spring in this case, I give it a pass.

But in general, I think this is a pretty robust design. I recently got a second "Made in England" 1912 Ever-Ready, and one of the blade stops looked slightly bent upward. Not a functional issue, but I wanted it to be the same. So I pressed that stop down on a kitchen counter a couple of times and it came around right. I like things that are simple, durable, fixable.
Hey Bill,

Yes, I got two Damaskeenes off the Bay that had problems. These are the only razors I've acquired that had anything wrong beyond cosmetic issues. The one with the broken spring is not useable but it had a nice handle so I got something plus the refund. The second razor has damage but the razor still works fine and Ebay gave me a refund after I filed a claim against the seller. I was surprised and impressed how quickly Ebay handled the claim and gave me the refund including shipping.

I like the 1912 Damaskeene razors and intend on buying a good one, but for now I'll use the "wounded" one I have.

Since you've got the lid off the one with the busted spring, is it worth just doing a transplant to replace the one with the sheared thumb tab? Were there other problems with the lid itself so it wouldn't be a good transplant candidate?

Hey Bill,

Yes, I got two Damaskeenes off the Bay that had problems. These are the only razors I've acquired that had anything wrong beyond cosmetic issues. The one with the broken spring is not useable but it had a nice handle so I got something plus the refund. The second razor has damage but the razor still works fine and Ebay gave me a refund after I filed a claim against the seller. I was surprised and impressed how quickly Ebay handled the claim and gave me the refund including shipping.

I like the 1912 Damaskeene razors and intend on buying a good one, but for now I'll use the "wounded" one I have.

Good plan

I wish you luck Jeff in your hunt for a nice Damaskeene. It is my favorite 1912 variant and now second favorite razor (after the Cobra).

There are plenty in good shape to be found, just takes some patience and looking. There is a minty cased one on the bay, but the price is a little high side for an SE.

Maybe one of the members here who have more than one will be willing to sell you one for a decent price. Just put the word out you want one.

I wish you luck Jeff in your hunt for a nice Damaskeene. It is my favorite 1912 variant and now second favorite razor (after the Cobra).

There are plenty in good shape to be found, just takes some patience and looking. There is a minty cased one on the bay, but the price is a little high side for an SE.

Maybe one of the members here who have more than one will be willing to sell you one for a decent price. Just put the word out you want one.

+1...what my bro said Jeff....just add a WTB in your signature....I know turtle and many others have great luck that way...and who knows....a brother may have a spare minty one he is welling to let go at a fair price!!

Since you've got the lid off the one with the busted spring, is it worth just doing a transplant to replace the one with the sheared thumb tab? Were there other problems with the lid itself so it wouldn't be a good transplant candidate?
Yes, I thought the same thing...make something of a Frankenrazor. I tried getting the lid back on the original base and it was not easy, so I decided I might screw up the other razor. Too risky and I'm less good with my hands then in former years.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom