What's new

Hair Tonics vs Pomades?

Wanting some thoughts..
I currently use Pomades (brand varies a bit) but low shine and medium hold.
I saw an add for modern Hair Tonics and started to scratch the surface of that rabbit hole.

If I switch up to Hair Tonic what are some pro and cons? I don't have a bad *** pompadour or anything just thinking about changing up my game..

thanks!

Pros of using tonics:

• Shine
  • Cost - I use Tres Flores Brilliantine Liquid Oil and I still haven't finished the bottle I started in 2016
  • Easy washout
Cons:

• No hold
  • Limp hair
  • Scent - can be overpowering
  • Limited options
For me, I use Tres Flores Brilliantine Liquid Oil or Vaseline tonic to add shine when I'm using a heavy hold pomade. I also use it to degrease my hair once or twice a week. I like the way that Tres Flores darkens my blond hair. I wish I had brown hair, but wasn't blessed with that. It's great for people with gray hair, as it darkens their hair without the need of dye jobs. It obviously doesnt hide the gray completely, but it darkens it. My blond hair looks noticibly darker when I use Tres Flores. Jeris with Oil likely does the same thing.

I use both. Right now for my Tonic I am using a product I found in the Philippines called Million Dollar Hair Tonic. It says right on the bottle it can also be used as an aftershave. I use it to help condition my hair after the shower and make it more manageable. That, and it feels good to my scalp with all the menthol.

For my Pomade I'm either using the Clubman Firm Hold or the DAX Short and Neat. My hair is extremely wild. I either have to keep it short or I have to put some kind of product in it so I don't get shot for looking like Bigfoot.

Traditional tonics (without oil) were kind of the original dry shampoo. They were popular when daily bathing and showering were not common. They cut the grease in your hair down a bit and smelled good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy here has a ton of information on hair tonics. It's intereting. I'm thinking about using Reuzel Hair tonic now along with Jeris and Lucky Tiger

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use Loreal(Paris) Vive for Men.

It is a gel, not a Tonic or a Pomade.
I use Paul Mitchell Special Tea Tree gel, 90% of the time. Maybe 5% I use the Wax version of that. The other 5% I use Jeris hair tonic.

Back when I was cutting hair exclusively for a living I bought 3 bottles of that stuff. Gave one to a client when I was closing up shop, one I'm using that the label got so oily that it fell off, and the other my lovely War Department is threatening to throw out.

I hate clean freaks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Am I the only one on here that thinks @Kevin_K looks like Pete Townshend?

So tell us please, Who Are You, Who Who, Who Who?

Top Bottom