What's new

Haberdashery - I need your assistance

I need some wardrobe help, folks, and I know you all are just the ones to do the trick.

Here's the deal, in about 3 weeks, I'm flying to Dallas for a one-day meet and greet with a potential employer. In December, I had 3 (I think) phone interviews with various people including the man who would be my boss and head of all things technical there, a FTF interview with the man who is now the COO, lunch with that guy and one of his managers, and a short meet and greet with his team here in Indianapolis where my wife and I spent the morning visiting them. Now, that company is moving it's headquarters to the Plano area, they're courting me for a larger role than I'd originally interviewed for, and they'd like me to meet them down there for a day so I can meet more members of the team. So, my question to the Haberdashery is what to wear?

Things to consider:
1. Dallas, TX 1st week of April.
2. Flying in and out on the same day.
3. All day affair with who knows how many folks and what their roles are.
4. This is a position where I'd most likely be wearing golf shirts and dockers or jeans during my normal duties.

Having done numerous professional interviews since graduating 4 years ago (took a while to find a job in the middle of an economic crash), I would go with the full suit, nothing less. If they are interviewing you for a higher responsibility position, IMO they are going to expect you to take your appearance and attitude to the next level. However, my general rule of thumb is go one level beyond the daily dress, ie: jeans and polos everyday means dress pants and button down for the interview. So, I would say at an absolute minimum you could probably get away with dress pants, button down shirt, and a tie. As a test engineer, I wear jeans and a t-shirt almost everyday but when I interviewed in the middle of August I wore my suit. Dallas in April shouldn't be excessively hot but you can always take the coat off. Either way, good luck and I wish you well in your new endeavors...

Last edited:
I live just north of Plano, and the weather here in April is, at best, unpredictable. It could be 80 degrees and sunny or it could be 40 degrees and rainy/windy. I would suggest keeping track of the forecast for north Texas before you go and see if you need any type of jacket. If so, a nice navy sport coat (if you have one) over a polo shirt or oxford buttondown and khaki slacks would work. If it's going to be warm, leave the sport coat at home. The thing about a sport coat over a polo shirt is that you can look either semi-dressy with it on or casual with it off - your choice. I'd leave the jeans at home and dress up a bit, if it were me, but not "tie dressy". It depends on the culture of the company.

JMHO. Good luck with the interview. If you get it and move down to Texas, be prepared for some heat/humidity in the summer. It's bad, but you adjust to it after a while.

Can't help with Texas weather, being over the pond...but agree absolutely on the suit. Not black. A nice plain navy or dark grey wool suit, white shirt & a good tie not too flashy, and some nice dark brown Oxfords or semi-brogues.
Not only shows respect to your employer, but to the interview as a process.
Hope you have success!

I second the navy suit.

Hope you enjoy Texas and get a chance to eat some good Tex-Mex. What part of Dallas are you gonna be in?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ditto on wearing the suit ... not black.

Having a decent overcoat you can bring with you can help if the weather gets a bit too cold. I doubt you'll be spending a lot of time outside, but an overcoat can make all the difference, especially if it's raining.

... does it rain in Texas?

proxy.php

Ditto on wearing the suit ... not black.

Having a decent overcoat you can bring with you can help if the weather gets a bit too cold. I doubt you'll be spending a lot of time outside, but an overcoat can make all the difference, especially if it's raining.

... does it rain in Texas?

proxy.php

Yes it rains and no, we all don't ride horses. :lol:

Skip the overcoat. In April, even with rain, no one wears them.

It'll rain for 30 minutes and then the sun comes out.

Its already been touched on a few times but... go with a full suit and tie. Where I worked, there was a decision between two people, pretty much equals, except one wore a suit and the other was the casual-est of business casual. I was just an intern at the time, but since we worked in teams, meaning I worked with the partner, manager, etc..., I got to hear the inside scoop on the candidates. You should have heard the backlashing the casual guy got. Needless to say, he didn't get the job and it had nothing to do with his experience, GPA, qualifications, etc...

Suit up! No other option, even if you don't need to wear a suit daily. Arriving with a suit clearly shows how seriously you take the chance to work for them. One small thing, I would go buy a new shirt and tie. Just for the new factor so you're looking forward to wearing it. And don't wear a straight black suit. Preferably a navy or charcoal. And best of luck with the job!

I agree. Dallas is still a very conservative city. A suit would be appropriate for this affair. Wear only aftershave. You never know if someone on the management team is allergic to perfume/cologne. Don't forget to shine your shoes.

It sounds like you already have to job. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes it rains and no, we all don't ride horses. :lol:

Skip the overcoat. In April, even with rain, no one wears them.

It'll rain for 30 minutes and then the sun comes out.

I was thinking more in terms of it being too cold, and him needing a coat. Rain was an afterthought.

I agree. Dallas is still a very conservative city. A suit would be appropriate for this affair. Wear only aftershave. You never know if someone on the management team is allergic to perfume/cologne. Don't forget to shine your shoes.

Good advice there.

Wear the suit.

Depending on how long the flight is, you could wear it on the plane an put on the tie when the plane lands.

Save the slacks, polos, blazer look for after you have the job.

I would make it a medium toned suit (not black or dark, dark blue) and tie. You can always take off the tie for a slightly more casual look if necessary. You may want to travel in a blazer/sports coat and slacks in case there is an opportunity for more business casual.

Suit!! Leave the overcoat at home. A lightweight allweather/raincoat could be a good choice. Watch the weather reports. I live in E Texas about 100 miles east and alittle south of Dallas and have not needed a heavy coat this year. I always go dressy casual and a sweater and windbreaker or sport coat have been plenty this season.

Texas is not only a western state but it is the anchor to the Midwest. If I understand your first post you have had lunch with the COO, and a manager in Indianapolis, and met with a few others of his team up there. I would hope you got some ideas of the company culture from those meetings. Having said that you are meeting a new group/staff within the organization and I think a suit is the only appropriate look. Either way you are broadcasting a professional persona and its always better to dress up than dress down. Even if its a production facility you can always lose the tie, roll your sleeves up, and put on a hard hat for the tour but afterwards wash your hands, fix your tie, and put your coat back on before walking into the boardroom. Remember you are also representing the COO as he has already had a formal interview with you.

Best of Luck.

Dan

Hmm, I'm guessing Navy Suit might be a good idea.

Now, good dress socks? I RARELY wear dress clothes, and never for an entire day, so what are your suggestions there? Gold Toe?

Top Bottom