What's new

Habemus Papam (We have a Pope)

I would agree with that. South Americans are more representative of the Catholic Church than Europeans are at the moment.

I do too. I think South America is the Church's strongest demographic. They have been failing in North America for decades; Europe more recently. I wondered if they's try to turn North America around by picking a front man who would be inoffensive there but I think they simply gave up with recovering there, and wisely too. They have a strong base in South America and some powerful smaller areas in the Asia/Pacific area. I expect they'll focus more there in the coming decades.

They have been around a long time and have demonstrated enough tenacity to survive some difficult periods. They don't make these choices casually, although you might suggest their guidance system failed them the last time and I wouldn't argue that.

--james

I have no vested interest as I am not Catholic and don't exactly agree with the concept or necessity of a pope but I am happy to see that for someone who is so visible and representing the Christian faith (at least the Catholic version of it) that they elected someone who appears to hold the Biblical or conservative stance on the hot button social/moral issues. All too many Christian denominations are caving to societal demands and seem more concerned about being politically correct than they do being Biblically sound and Biblically faithful. I'll applaud the Pope for holding fast to those Biblical convictions.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Is it Pope Francis or Pope Francis I?
proxy.php

True
to form on his first day as Pope, His Holiness "declined the official papal car – license plate Vatican 1 - for his first journey from the Sistine Chapel, choosing instead to board a bus with cardinals who had just elected him.

Later, at dinner, the new Pope prompted laughter by responding to their toast with the remark: "May god forgive you for what you have done."
proxy.php

Those observations were echoed by New York's Cardinal Tim Dolan, who told TODAY's Matt Lauer there were "real differences" between Francis and previous popes. "When he was pointed toward the [raised] chair and told that was where he was to sit, he said, 'No, I’m going to stand down here’ and greeted each of us as brothers, literally on the same level where we were.”

$POPE 1.jpg

Read More: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...clines-official-car-jokes-with-cardinals?lite

Great start Your Holiness! :thumbsup:

BTW, His "Installation Ceremony and Mass" which will be a morning-long affair), will be next week, Tuesday, 19 March, 2013 — on the day of the Feast of St. Joseph.

Read More: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...over-with-installation-mass-on-st-josephs-day

proxy.php
"Faith is like a mustard seed". CBJ

Last edited:
I would agree with that. South Americans are more representative of the Catholic Church than Europeans are at the moment.

Although, to be fair, his parents emigrated to Argentina from Italy. If the Cardinals were thinking out of the box, they didn't go very far away.

Is it Pope Francis or Pope Francis I?
proxy.php

I believe it is the former. The only time a Roman numeral is added after a pope's name is when another pope chooses that name. For example, Pope Linus does not have a "I" after his name, but Pope Urban I's name does.

At least that is what I gather from pope lineages I have seen.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I believe it is the former. The only time a Roman numeral is added after a pope's name is when another pope chooses that name. For example, Pope Linus does not have a "I" after his name, but Pope Urban I's name does.

At least that is what I gather from pope lineages I have seen.
Matthew:
Thanx for the info and for sharing! :thumbsup:

I checked the Holy See site (http://www.vatican.va/latest/sub_index/latest_index_en.htm), and they list him as Pope Francis. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Faith can conquer all odds" CBJ

"May God forgive you for what you have done." Is this supposed to be a joke based on what Albino Luciani said upon being asked if he accepted the papacy?

"May God forgive you for what you have done." Is this supposed to be a joke based on what Albino Luciani said upon being asked if he accepted the papacy?

Apparently it got a big laugh from the cardinals. I hope he lasts a lot longer than John Paul I (Luciani). Francis obviously has the common touch, and a personal warmth reminiscent of John XXIII. Who knows, he may shake things up as much as John XXIII did. In the sermon at his first Mass (today), Francis said, "... when we profess Christ without the Cross, we are not disciples of the Lord. We are worldly, we are bishops, priests, cardinals, Popes, but not disciples of the Lord." Those are strong words coming from a pope, much less a newly-elected one, and I could well imagine that it had some people in the audience squirming. Although he is doctrinally conservative, I believe (and hope) that Francis may have some surprises in store.

Top Bottom