The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
We (and the World), have all waited for this moment with faith and joy;

"
I announce to you a great joy:

We have a Pope (
Habemus Papam)!!

The most eminent and most reverend Lord, Lord [Jorge] Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church [Bergoglio], Who takes for himself the name of Francis I (Papal name by which the Pope wishes to be known)".

His Holiness (the 266th Pontiff), Pope Francis (76yrs), of Argentina, a Jesuit, in his last post was the Archbishop of Buenos Aires. :thumbsup:

$25FFC51E2A2D4AE3819A37F7289F.jpg $pope.jpg $pope-1.jpg

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21777747

The former archbishop of Buenos Aires is a humble and compassionite Jesuit intellectual who traveled by bus (with poverty in many parts of his country, he did not use the official car and chauffeur), and has a practical approach to poverty: when he was appointed a cardinal, Bergoglio persuaded hundreds of Argentinians not to fly to Rome to celebrate with him but instead to give the money they would have spent on plane tickets to the poor. He was a fierce opponent of Argentina's decision to legalise gay marriage in 2010, arguing children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother. He was created a cardinal by John Paul II on 21 February 2001.

Bergoglio is one of five children and as a child suffered a respiratory illness that left him with just one lung. Bergoglio is known in his native city’s archdiocese for his simplicity, CBS 2′s Schneider reported.

Prior to his election, Bergoglio didn’t live in the archbishop palace, but rather in an apartment, where he cooked his own meals. His vestments are also simple. Case in point, on presenting himself to the world, he came out in just a white cassock instead of cassock,
lace rochet (worn over the cassock), ermine-trimmed red cape, (known as the mozzetta), and maybe also the red papal stole with gold embroidery (worn over the mozzetta), and from what I've seen, His Holiness has shunned the red papal shoes to wear his own dark brown shoes. He even chose to wear his own, simple cross — devoid of diamonds and jewels (in constrast to Pope Benedict XVI...who was a 'quite a dresser'...http://www.timescolonist.com/life/religion/benedict-best-dressed-pontiff-ever-1.78331).

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03...entina-voted-new-pope-of-the-catholic-church/

proxy.php
"Brothers and sisters, Buona sera"! Pope Fancis I first words to the World

Attached Image: White Smoke fromn the Vatican

Attachments

• $9DD0A3F773204A55A3527FA1972EC6.jpg
    $9DD0A3F773204A55A3527FA1972EC6.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
"Francis, Go and rebuild my Church, which you can see has fallen into ruin."

It seems like they made a wise choice. I truly hope he can do it. I already like him better than Benedict.

Interesting, I was hearing on the radio about how St. Mordicai predicting he would take the name Peter... of course this is radio and I have nothing to reference it as truth or not... I'm sure all my Catholic friends can sigh in relief.

The 1st Jesuit to be pope and 1st non-European since the 8th century.

Also 1st New World pope.

Kind of exciting

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The 1st Jesuit to be pope and 1st non-European since the 8th century.

Also 1st New World pope.

Kind of exciting
proxy.php
...and as another 1st, his name by which He will be called...Francis. :thumbsup:

Yes, it's very exciting and so many 1st's in thre life of our Church. Bravo...eminent Cardinels and 'Princes of the Church'...good choice (in 'listening' to the many issues facing the Church). I commend you all, a huge gift to Latin America...well done. $clapping.gif

proxy.php
"Faith is like a mustard seed". CBJ

Last edited:
Could this be what the church is looking for? I hope so, and I hope that change is at hand. At least they got away from pope's being from Italy, or at least from Europe. This could be just what the church needs.

proxy.php
...and His name by which He will be called...Francis the 1st. :thumbsup:

Yes, it's very exciting and so many 1st's in thre life of our Church. Bravo...eminent Cardinels and 'Princes of the Church'...good choice (in 'listening' to the many issues facing the Church). I commend you all, a huge gift to Latin America...well done. View attachment 317911

proxy.php
"Faith is like a mustard seed". CBJ

Christopher,
I like the choice of name. Homage to Francis of Assisi and Francis Xavier. I'm sure there'll be some talk of same-old-same-old, but Pope Francis is a Jesuit and a man who eschews the pomp that he has been afforded. I'm excited.

The really cool thing for me was coming home from work today and hearing the church bells in the early afternoon announcing the new pope. I live within walking distance of my parish and another and I could hear one as I entered my front door and the other as I let my dog out the back door.

Kelly

Ahhh, the Huffington Post. The "news" source owned by AOL, the same company that still believes a homosexual coup ousted Benedict XVI. I would not pay them much attention.

When a politician, especially one who is also a religious leader, is elected, news sources from both sides of the political spectrum will immediately try smear him or her, especially when that politician is a monarch and (rightfully) unmoved by public opinion.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Ahhh, the Huffington Post. The "news" source owned by AOL, the same company that still believes a homosexual coup ousted Benedict XVI. I would not pay them much attention.

When a politician, especially one who is also a religious leader, is elected, news sources from both sides of the political spectrum will immediately try smear him or her, especially when that politician is a monarch and (rightfully) unmoved by public opinion.
Matthew:
$surprised_smiley.gif...these days...you 'gotta check the news source'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"In case of news...we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation". Voltaire

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ah, Politics and Religion, Religion and Politics. Steady as She goes Gentlemen, let's keep this thread from going the way of the Titanic.

Ah, Politics and Religion, Religion and Politics. Steady as She goes Gentlemen, let's keep this thread from going the way of the Titanic.
Just like when you were learning to dance as kids, best keep at arms length.

But seriously I hope he does good, not just for the Catholics or Christians in general but for all of humanity.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Christopher,
I like the choice of name. Homage to Francis of Assisi and Francis Xavier. I'm sure there'll be some talk of same-old-same-old, but Pope Francis is a Jesuit and a man who eschews the pomp that he has been afforded. I'm excited.

The really cool thing for me was coming home from work today and hearing the church bells in the early afternoon announcing the new pope. I live within walking distance of my parish and another and I could hear one as I entered my front door and the other as I let my dog out the back door.

Kelly
Kelly:
proxy.php
...and I'm excited too because here is a simple, humble and compassionate man...'called' upon to be our Pontiff, not to mention what he can do for Latin America.

He's said to be a conservative and traditionalist (I don't see too much change in magisterium, dogma, discipline, tradition and/or faith and morals, but I'm hopeful he'll addresses all the issues and challenges and make the necessary changes), but what I hear is that he has the tools for 'active listening' to hear what ails the Church and possibly has some progressive thoughts, ideas, and leadership moves within the Curia.

We will just have to see how his pontificate will begin and what direction He will take us. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Everything in life…happens for a reason". Author Unknown

Last edited:

Actually, Huffington was quoting Reuters. You might have missed that on the bottom of the article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/13/us-pope-succession-bergoglio-idUSBRE92C15X20130313

In addition, this from the Associated Press:

"Yorio accused Bergoglio of effectively handing them over to the death squads by declining to tell the regime that he endorsed their work. Jalics refused to discuss it after moving into seclusion in a German monastery." Bergoglio discussed the incident with Sergio Rubin, his authorized biographer."

Associated Press writer Brian Murphy reported this story at Vatican City and Michael Warren reported from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The guy has a history.

I'm less interested in his history than I am in the motivation of the Church's leadership who were quick to pick him to lead in these troubled times. I think picking a South American was astute.

--james

Last edited:
Top Bottom