What's new

Gunbelts. Maybe not as simple as you think

05DA9531-8E08-4A7E-86EB-9B834282ECB5.jpeg

In a weak moment of irresponsible curiosity I purchased one of those “Tactical” web belts which have become quite popular with the Internet Commandos and mall ninjas.
This one is a Vedder. OK... it’s a belt. Holds my pants up. Seems durable enough. When it comes to what holster I plan on carrying though, the belt plays a more significant role than most may think.
For a Snap loop type holster like those shown in the top row..no worries. Their easy on/easy off demeanor make this style among my favorite. Comfortable and secure.
Now many of the dual slot “pancake” style holsters and especially the Askins Nelson Avenger style can prove more problematic when trying to get them on one of these Ninja-Seal-Mission Impossible style belts than trying to get a 225 pound high school junior in a size 3 prom dress. Let’s face it. That buckle is not the easiest thing to get through your average belt loop.

D567E3BA-FE48-4EAE-862E-DBF54FD09598.jpeg
Moral to the story. Research before you purchase. Be sure it’s going to work for your application.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Wilderness original "Instructors" belt and clones thereof have a plain tapered end that would totally eliminate that issue. You just bought the wrong ninja belt!

I'll stick with leather. I've got one from Bullard Leather which is nice but better have been for the price.

My next will be from Flat Pak Holsters on Facebook, an earlier generation shipmate from my first ship that I met last month at a reunion. I won his sample belt in the raffle, great quality but big for me so my dad or brother will benefit from that one. His prices are really attractive.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Most of mine are leather from High Noon Holsters and have been doing well for over a quarter century now I think.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm. Have on like that from 511, stiff as heck thick nylon, has no "end" so it does thread things like holsters.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have had a Belman belt for over 15 years now and could not be happier. I catty a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster almost daily. I picked the horse hide 1.5". It still looks like new. No need for the added stiffener layer. Comfortable! I've tried numerous belts and this is the best I've found. Ordering a new one soon in 1.5" Elephant.

Bullhide CCW Gun Belts for Concealed and Open Carry by Beltman

He makes good stuff. I got a 1.5" bullhide one from him several years ago that's pretty much my daily driver. It's still stiff enough to carry a heavyish sidearm.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

Also have a good, thick 1.75" one I got about 25 years ago. Don't remember where I got it and can't make out the maker's stamp.

Edit: I took the stamped belt out in the sunlight and used a magnifying glass. The guy's name is written in small letters in ink around the edge. It was a guy I worked with at the P.D. He was always messing around with leatherwork or carpentry or something.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am wearing a leather double mag holder and leather dual slot pancake holder with a Glock 43X as I type this. It's sitting on a 5.11 web belt around my waist. I have a nice leather belt from Mitch Rosen, but when I wear it for extended amounts of time, the metal buckle digs into my gut just above my pants and leaves a big ole' reddish dent just below my belly button. It's sore and tender. I don't like it. :)

The web belt adjusts perfectly to the exact amount of tightness I need and the polymer buckle is slim and low profile and doesn't interfere with my belly button. :)

For those of you using a 1.75" belt, where do you find pants with belt loops that are large enough? Even my jeans only have 1.5" belt loops, so that is the belt size I get because I'm too cheap to have a tailor retrofit 1.75" belt loops!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a nice leather belt from Mitch Rosen, but when I wear it for extended amounts of time, the metal buckle digs into my gut just above my pants and leaves a big ole' reddish dent just below my belly button. It's sore and tender. I don't like it. :)

I would say something...but I won't. :biggrin1:

For those of you using a 1.75" belt, where do you find pants with belt loops that are large enough? Even my jeans only have 1.5" belt loops, so that is the belt size I get because I'm too cheap to have a tailor retrofit 1.75" belt loops!

ALL of my jeans, Levi or Wrangler, take a 1 3/4" belt. Although I quit buying Levi a few years ago when they started making them baggy for the younger crowd. I get Wrangler now...I like my jeans to fit.

What brand of jeans do you have? It's my dress pants that only take 1 1/2".

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well that’s no fun.

The post would probably get deleted and my account suspended for a week.

Oh what the heck. You need to take advantage of the Department's gym to get rid of that belly.

This reminds me...I still have a few DVDs in the Cannon TV series entire set I haven't watched yet. Since there is nothing on TV tonight I might just pull some out and smoke a Charatan while watching. Maybe Irish Oak in it. You do know that William Conrad was a Charatan collector. He also carried a Colt Detective Special in the show. You know you really want a Colt Gold Cup...a real 1911.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My current leather belt is 1.25 inch Milt Sparks, because it is the only one that still fits! It is also tapered in the front where the buckle is, which interferes less with my Dunlop disease. At work, where I can't carry a gun, I wear a 1.5 inch Instructors belt.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My current leather belt is 1.25 inch Milt Sparks, because it is the only one that still fits! It is also tapered in the front where the buckle is, which interferes less with my Dunlop disease. At work, where I can't carry a gun, I wear a 1.5 inch Instructors belt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to see you have a sense of humor, John. I'm so skinny that if I turn sideways I disappear. That can be handy when you're getting shot at though.

Grandma. She has a belly on her, but took her to the vet. a couple of weeks ago for vaccinations and at 11 1/2 pounds she is just fine for her age.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

How did this tread go from gunbelts to weight. Oh...I know.

Mom! Rob started it!

Sorry Acme...I hope it has been a bit entertaining. That is all. At ease. Dismissed.

Last edited:
My new favorite jeans are Round House. American made and seemingly apolitical. Only semi downside is only being available online. Worth the money.

Not likely to buy Levi's ever again.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I have a gun belt from a holster maker that is no longer in business. I like it, but the stitching is coming undone, so I need to find someone that does leather work to fix it.

Next belt I get may be from Tactical Gun Leather. Tony made a replacement IWB loop for my holster and the quality of his work was clearly better than the original loop I still had.

I would say something...but I won't. :biggrin1:

ALL of my jeans, Levi or Wrangler, take a 1 3/4" belt. Although I quit buying Levi a few years ago when they started making them baggy for the younger crowd. I get Wrangler now...I like my jeans to fit.

What brand of jeans do you have? It's my dress pants that only take 1 1/2".
I usually wear Lee jeans, and my 1.5" belt fits snugly through the loops.

Top Bottom