What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

Hello, I just recieved in today's mail my most recent ABC set addition. It is unusual in that it is gunmetal coated, with a silver razor and blade bank. The patch inside is gold colored. I have never seen a gunmetal case with a silver razor set inside before. Can anyone tell me if it is a mismatched set? Here's the photo-

proxy.php

Thanks in advance people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Very nice set. Until a NOS sealed gunmetal-silver set or and advert about such a thing surfaces I'd say this case contained a golden razor and bank.

Adam

Thank you Brian, I was just hoping it was a correct set. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for a gold ABC razor and blade bank. Good luck on that one, you know it!

R

romsitsa

It is full ABC set imho, not that common, doesn't matter if its matching or not. Btw. I never thought I catch a razor for my plain case and got one on the bay for a very decent price, so there is a fair chance.

A

Thank you Romista. I guess I'll be searching the eBay. But like you said, it is a full ABC set, and I'll enjoy it until I can swap it out.

I just picked these up for a really good deal, the case latch and a bit of straightening and lining will need a little love but otherwise I am happy :)

$$_12.jpg$$1_12.jpg$il_570xN.772334598_m1vz.jpg$il_570xN.772375787_a332rg.jpg$il_570xN.772375791_8on6.jpg

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
So what razor came with this case ? and thanks for the info

That razor could have come with that set even though the case was made by Gillette.

I have this gold floral set where the case was made by Gillette and the razor is an ABC. Both the razor and the case are equally minty and I will never believe that it is a mismatch by anyone except for Gillette themselves.

$Gillette Floral Set 2.jpg $Gillette Floral Set.jpg

That razor could have come with that set even though the case was made by Gillette.

I have this gold floral set where the case was made by Gillette and the razor is an ABC. Both the razor and the case are equally minty and I will never believe that it is a mismatch by anyone except for Gillette themselves.

View attachment 654343 View attachment 654344
i stand corrected. However, this is the first such set I have ever seen. I personally own 10 ABC sets, and 11 Gillette Pocket Editions. Ina e also examined dozens of these sets on eBay and in other places. This is the first time I have seen a set like yours. I know Gillette had a habit of using up spare parts, so it is possible. Does your set have a serial number Connie?

Hello, I just recieved in today's mail my most recent ABC set addition. It is unusual in that it is gunmetal coated, with a silver razor and blade bank. The patch inside is gold colored. I have never seen a gunmetal case with a silver razor set inside before. Can anyone tell me if it is a mismatched set? Here's the photo-

proxy.php

Thanks in advance people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As it turns out, this case was merely tarnished silver plate. The tarnish was so uniform and thick, that it threw my perception off. The case polished up beautifully.

R

romsitsa

On the Empire case, I found a similar gutted case and although I didn't have the opportunity to examine an ABC Empire case closer, I think there are some differences in the pattern besides the lack of patent dates, so I also think it is a later Gillette item. But DMacks case has the ribbon without MiUSA inscription typical for ABC sets.
Maybe Gillette used every ABC stock while producing their own pocket sets without any logic?

Adam

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
i stand corrected. However, this is the first such set I have ever seen. I personally own 10 ABC sets, and 11 Gillette Pocket Editions. Ina e also examined dozens of these sets on eBay and in other places. This is the first time I have seen a set like yours. I know Gillette had a habit of using up spare parts, so it is possible. Does your set have a serial number Connie?

The razor serial no. is B776821. It came with it's original felt pouch also.

I have 5 ABC sets and 4 Gillette sets. This one is the most pristine of them. I picked it up from eBay seller "ka-ching13" back in 2010. Here is part of what she put in the listing at the time:

"I recently came across a fabulous collection of old barber stuff that belonged to traveling salesman. Many, Many years ago he collected only the finest he could find. With most of it mint or very near mint. Now this collection is being offered for sale for the first time. I have safety razors, straight razors, stroppers, and some really cool stuff......"

I was lucky enough to win several items she listed over a few weeks time back then. :001_smile Here are two more..

$Double Ring 4.jpg $Double Ring 15673.jpg

$King Gillette Single Ring in case.jpg $King Gillette w Case.jpg $King Gillette group large.jpg

This razor arrived, yesterday, from a sale in France. It took a month to arrive, but I am quite pleased. It has TWO G inside D markings, as did one previously posted last year, however mine is stamped on the front of the case. It also is stamped in the usual spot on the comb's bottom. Mine dates to 1916, which I believe is the transitionary period from ABC to Gillette pocket Editions.... I have 1915, 16, and 17 sets that are all made of ABC components; as well as sets that are definitely Gillette Editions. I feel that Gillette most likely assembled many COMPLETE sets from ABC parts, not just hybrids. If they are all ABC parts, but Gillette assembled, are they really Gillette or still considered to be ABC????

Cheers,
Kevin$DSC01982.jpg$DSC01983.jpg$DSC01974.jpg$DSC01975.jpg$DSC01985.jpg

Top Bottom