What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
What a great thread, I'm surprised it's been inactive so long, but I've got some ABC vs Gillette questions.
From what I've read ABC cases have the engraving on the bottom of the case and Gillette made sets do not.
I've also read that Gillette cases patch has the "made in USA" on it and ABC patches are the gold on blue without "made in USA" on them.
SOOOO, here's my question: Does it always mean the case is made by Gillette w/o engraving on the bottom of the case?
I ask because I've got a shell razor (C70023, basket weave case and match strike blade bank) in a case WITH the blue on gold label (not "made in USA") and NO ENGRAVING on the bottom. Seems ABC due to the patch and Gillette due to the lack of engraving on the bottom.
Additionally, it's the 4 rivet push button case.

TIA!
Mike
Hi, Mike. I'll try to recall from memory.

Yes, it can be a an ABC without the script on the bottom of the case. Gillette cases will have the patch with MIUSA or they have a printed logo on the liner. The Gillette cases will look more squared off and abit taller. I hope I explained that right.

To me, you are describing an ABC set. Do you have a photo?

Last edited:
Hi, Mike. I'll try to recall from memory.

Yes, it can be a an ABC without the script on the bottom of the case. Gillette cases will have the patch with MIUSA or they have a printed logo on the liner. The Gillette cases will look more squared off and abit taller. I hope I explained that right.

To me, you are describing an ABC set. Do you have a photo?
Just snapped a few below.
I forgot to get the date code on the base plate captured in a pic, but it's a C7xxxx date code putting it at 1911.
Side bar, is that a "5 digit"?...IDR if the letter is to be included in the # of digit count lol.
I'm also wondering if this is the plush liner and what the deal with that was anyway if not...

ABC open.JPG

ABC Top.JPG

ABC bottom.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Just snapped a few below.
I forgot to get the date code on the base plate captured in a pic, but it's a C7xxxx date code putting it at 1911.
Side bar, is that a "5 digit"?...IDR if the letter is to be included in the # of digit count lol.
I'm also wondering if this is the plush liner and what the deal with that was anyway if not...

View attachment 1206579
View attachment 1206580
Looks like an ABC to me. Fairly sure the C would be included in the number. Does it look like purple velvet inside? If so, that's the plush liner.

Looks like an ABC to me. Fairly sure the C would be included in the number. Does it look like purple velvet inside? If so, that's the plush liner.
Think so. I've read (i think in in the 2 part thread here) that was special order or something? Never seen an ad about it...
16102563874595447337819570923813.jpg

Definitely the plush.
So some were plush, some silk or velvet?
Was plush advertised, special ordered, or just something they did to some of them.
Finally are only ABC cases plush or both Gillette and ABC.
Sorry for all the questions, but this would be the place for them lol!

R

romsitsa

Were any of the Gillette cases plush?
Did ABC and Gillette manufacture in parallel, or ABC from 19xx-19xx and Gillette from 19xx+ to 19xx+?

Most were plush, if we call military sets pockets, these were part silk, and Khakis canvas.
There should have been some parallel production during at least during the war.
Actually I don’t know what exactly was produced by ABC, there are too many variations in razors and cases called “ABC”.

Hello All,

I was spending some time today going through this great thread and I wanted to share some photos of my ABC Pocket Edition set. It's a Canadian set- gold, ball end razor in a plain gunmetal case with purple felt protective sleeve. I found this set in the wild a few years ago. It's in excellent shape (probably rarely used over its 100 year history). I feel very fortunate to own it.
Gillette ABC Gold Gun Metal 1.JPG
Gillette Gold Gun Metal 2.JPG
Gillette Gold Gun Metal 3.JPG
Gillette Gold Gun Metal 4.JPG
Gillette Gold Gun Metal 5.JPG

Hello All,

I was spending some time today going through this great thread and I wanted to share some photos of my ABC Pocket Edition set. It's a Canadian set- gold, ball end razor in a plain gunmetal case with purple felt protective sleeve. I found this set in the wild a few years ago. It's in excellent shape (probably rarely used over its 100 year history). I feel very fortunate to own it. View attachment 1271591View attachment 1271592View attachment 1271593View attachment 1271594View attachment 1271595
Very nice. I picked up an empire recently, and a case separately. Idk if it's a gold case or polished copper or what.
16219089080233878966987888095001.jpg

Hello All,

I was spending some time today going through this great thread and I wanted to share some photos of my ABC Pocket Edition set. It's a Canadian set- gold, ball end razor in a plain gunmetal case with purple felt protective sleeve. I found this set in the wild a few years ago. It's in excellent shape (probably rarely used over its 100 year history). I feel very fortunate to own it. View attachment 1271591View attachment 1271592View attachment 1271593View attachment 1271594View attachment 1271595
I also have the Canadian version, only mine also has a cardboard box to boot. Now I know how they were sold a hundred years ago. I have three pocket edition razors.

Top Bottom