What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

Nicely done on the cases too!...

Would love to get me a full set of ABC razors and cases but somehow I think that may prove to be a very costly exercise!

With a bit of patience and luck, you can get a nice collection without completely emptying the wallet. Prices vary pretty greatly on the sets. The plainer ones tend to go for less than the more ornate ones. But on eBay, the only the predictable is that it won't be predictable. Good luck on your quest!

Seems the blade banks with these sets are all over the place. I recently bought a floral set on the B/S/T thread and the blade bank with it is smaller than the impressed area of the case for it. No markings on the bank either. I see some of these sets have a blade bank with a Gillette logo on the caps. I'm not entirely confident my blade bank is original to my floral set.

Time for a Part Three - Blade Banks ?

Last edited:
Here's mine (referenced above), post cleaning:

proxy.php

Wow! She's a beauty!

I have a Gillette case(no patent markings on bottom) in a floral design that seems to be brass. I know the razor that came with it was probably not original(a1932 Pat. Canadian Tech). It also has a pack of Regatta blades, compliments of your Fuller brush salesman.

I was going to ask about this case, but this thread seems to have ansered just about every question I could have. Thank you.

Thanks for this great thread!! I love the ABC sets, but it had been very difficult to find any info about them.

Now after a close inspection to my sets, I think I have an odd ball (or two)
The first is a scroll in silver with what seems to be date code D 208054 (I'm pretty sure it's D, unless the D in ABC is different that the one used by Gillette) (I compared that "D" with B and E and are different).

And the other one is a Basket Wave thick case, it lacks the pattents on the back, but ALSO lacks the "made in U.S.A.) on the patch! And also, the pattern is different between this and the other basket that came with the scroll.
One starts with the "lines" horizontal while the other starts vertical. But both patterns are the same width. Oh, and also has a push button and two rivets
Unfortunately this case came with a mismatch razor (but it has a "no honing no stropping" blade) with nº 775134 and D.R.P. nº 162438 if is of any help.
I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so I will upload some pictures next weekend.

Once again, thanks for this great thread.

Last edited:
I bought one of the rare Leather cases a few days ago for $16 shipped. Just waiting on it to arrive. Then I've got to snag a razor and blade box somewhere. Sometimes it's easier to get a razor for a case than a case for a razor.

I bought one of the rare Leather cases a few days ago for $16 shipped. Just waiting on it to arrive. Then I've got to snag a razor and blade box somewhere. Sometimes it's easier to get a razor for a case than a case for a razor.

If you have the razor, it's hard to get the case. If you have the case, it's hard to get the razor. That's why I really like getting them both at the same time. :lol: :lol:

Nice score btw, cheap. :thumbup1:

-jim

Great post and information that was very well done. I think I have the Basket Weave silver with blade holder which looks black in this picture but is perfect. Also, the second one is the travel with the leather case? and ball end single ring razor. I do not have the razor for the Basket weave but would love to find one. I think after reviewing both Part 1 & 2, these are identified correctly. Let me know if I missed it. Again, thanks to both of you.:thumbup:

Great post and information that was very well done. I think I have the Basket Weave silver with blade holder which looks black in this picture but is perfect. Also, the second one is the travel with the leather case? and ball end single ring razor. I do not have the razor for the Basket weave but would love to find one. I think after reviewing both Part 1 & 2, these are identified correctly. Let me know if I missed it. Again, thanks to both of you.:thumbup:

Here is a photo of the inside of the ABC Leather set.

View attachment 122058

Your set is a standard pocket razor of a later vintage. Your basket Weave case looks pretty good. In most cases it would have had a shell handle razor.

Len

Last edited:
As Len said, neither of your sets are American Button Company sets. Your basket weave has Made In USA on the patch, which ABC sets don't have. Your other set has the Gillette logo printed, which ABC sets don't but instead used a patch.

Thank you and now to find a razor for that beautiful basket weave silver case. Do I clean it with silver polish or leave the patina? For some reason the blade case is perfect and has the Gillette diamond embossed on the top; really classy looking. Also, is this a 1908 era? There are no dates on anything. Also, any guess to the age or year of the pocket; it has the bullets and the bottom plate has almost perfect gold plating as does the handle. The top as a small thin place on either end but no obvious heavy worn areas.

Thank you and now to find a razor for that beautiful basket weave silver case. Do I clean it with silver polish or leave the patina? For some reason the blade case is perfect and has the Gillette diamond embossed on the top; really classy looking. Also, is this a 1908 era? There are no dates on anything. Also, any guess to the age or year of the pocket; it has the bullets and the bottom plate has almost perfect gold plating as does the handle. The top as a small thin place on either end but no obvious heavy worn areas.

On the basket weave case leave the patina. If you want to show off the design and mad a 3D look, very lightly touch just the peaks of the design with a little polish. look at the bottom of the case. Does it have the different country patent dates? My guess is it might not since the push button latch is the last version.

The gold pocket razor is probably from the post 1920 era. Especially true if there is no serial number on the top of the guard.

Len

On the basket weave case leave the patina. If you want to show off the design and mad a 3D look, very lightly touch just the peaks of the design with a little polish. look at the bottom of the case. Does it have the different country patent dates? My guess is it might not since the push button latch is the last version.

The gold pocket razor is probably from the post 1920 era. Especially true if there is no serial number on the top of the guard.

Len

Hi Len and thank you for you expert observations. There are no dates and it is smooth silver on the BW. So your guess is right. Also the Gold pocket has no serial number. So I guess I missed the mark on both although they and expecially the basket weave are like a piece of artistic jewelry. I will have to keep looking for my ABC. Doug

Hi Len and thank you for you expert observations. There are no dates and it is smooth silver on the BW. So your guess is right. Also the Gold pocket has no serial number. So I guess I missed the mark on both although they and expecially the basket weave are like a piece of artistic jewelry. I will have to keep looking for my ABC. Doug

Doug,
Keep looking but don't discount the newer Gillette pocket sets. These two sets are like your Basket Weave case. Note the single button latch, the wording on the patch and the thicker case thickness versus the original ABC sets. I didn't include these sets in Brian's thread but I should have. Both sets were made in 1921. The razors both have "N" serial numbers. The inside of the cases are the same. Also the blade case does not have the match-strike bottom and the blade positioning posts of the razor are more pointed.

View attachment 122051

View attachment 122052

Len

Thanks Len, I just read your post again. Unfortunately I bid on three razors this morning but lost at $41 on ebay. Two appeared to be in rough but acceptable condition and one seemed to be missing the top plate. One was an ABC floral and there were no cases. I will keep looking as there is no sense in overpaying for something that is not in good condition. Doug

Hey, nice photos.
I just have to add, I do have a basket weave gillette case that is just a standard ball end OLD.
I know it's not an ABC or anything I definitiely know, and nothing printed under the case, but it does have the gillette label inside the case as a patch, but no "made in USA either"

It's a remanufactured razor though, serial R647473

Hey, nice photos.
I just have to add, I do have a basket weave gillette case that is just a standard ball end OLD.
I know it's not an ABC or anything I definitiely know, and nothing printed under the case, but it does have the gillette label inside the case as a patch, but no "made in USA either"

It's a remanufactured razor though, serial R647473

That's a nice looking set. One thing I never mentioned about the Basket Weave cases is the squares of the ABC sets are smaller then the Gillette sets. Count the columns of squares on either side of the plain center section. The ABC sets have 7 columns on either side, the Gillette sets have 6.

I have not seen the inside patch your set has in a Gillette case. It might have been made during the cross-over period after ABC stopped making sets. Gillette didn't throw anything away. That makes the case rare, to me anyway. Maybe someone else has one.

Also check the R serial number. That can't be right. I've never seen one. The last open comb razors should have started with a P. If it stands for re-manufactured where did you find the info? Can you post a photo of the serial number?

Len

Top Bottom