What's new

Grooming Dept club

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It's not hard to sell out when you only release 50 tubs per release per soap!!
I do not know the number you mention is correct, but I have a couple of his soaps that have a label stuck to the inside of the lid, the Maol Lime was a edition of 270 and the Coattail Redux was 107. He is always releasing more than one soap, I think the upcoming release is something like 15 or 16 different soaps in five or six bases. So, this is quite an amount of soaps, even if it is only 50 per version....

For a while, I kept track of how many shaves I got out of a number of shaving soaps. Just for comparison's sake, I will post some of them here. Keep in mind that I used the same synthetic brushes for all of these and that I loaded them (or at least attempted to) about the same for all shaves. Here are the numbers:

CRSW Citron 34 shaves
Mike's Natural Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper 48 shaves
Stirling Peach 87 shaves (50 before the dreaded "donut" appeared)
Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus 53 so far, nowhere near done; donut appeared at 50 shaves
Soapy Science Doc's Special Blend 72 so far, nowhere near done; donut appeared at 65 shaves

A couple of thoughts.

First, numbers of shaves varies quite a bit. I believe that Soapy Science has more soap in it to begin with, but probably only by about one ounce over a soap like CRSW Citron, but I already have almost twice as many shaves, and there are many more to go. Soapy Science is definitely a firmer soap.

Second, I have no explanation for why I hit the donut a full 15 shaves earlier on my Lollipop Citrus soap versus my Doc's Special Blend; the soaps have identical ingredients lists except for the scent component. This perhaps shows that there is variability in longevity of soaps even when they are made the same way and used by the same person in presumably the same way. This is clearly not an exact science.

Finally, I was very curious about what percentage of soap was gone when the donut appeared. This will obviously vary a lot, too, but for me with the Stirling soap I got over 40% of the shaves AFTER the donut appeared. If that ratio holds up for Soapy Science, I expect to get slightly north of 100 shaves from the Doc's Special Blend, making Soapy Science a particularly good deal for me. (If I didn't like the lather or the shaves I got, it wouldn't be a good deal no matter how many shaves I got, but I do get an excellent lather and I love the shaves.)

By the way, if the ratio holds, or is at least a reasonable estimate, I likely hit the donut at 20 shaves with the CRSW Citron. I LOVED that soap, and I do remember being very disappointed to see the donut appear that soon.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
c503b07106e313f219833df49b1e689a.jpg

Sounds like Mo did right by the customer...and then some. That's been my experience with him as well.

If I were guessing, I'd say he puts out quite a bit more than just 50 tubs of a flavor as my Frankenlime is numbered 270 as well.

My issue with GD now is the new 5oz size. It's just too much soap. I know I'm likely the odd man out...again. I'd prefer 3 oz with s price reduction. That way I could try more flavors and bases, faster. Stirling is 5.6oz (maybe 5.8ish)...it takes forever to get through a tub.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pardon if you felt offended by the “Bud” remark. Not my intention. If it still has left a lingering bad taste, here’s a simple solution.

March into your shave den, slap on your jam session shoes, click your heels once and repeat this verse 3 times “There’s nothing like cheap soap shipped for free, there’s nothing like cheap soap shipped for free, there’s nothing like cheap soap shipped for free”. And believe me, you’ll be right as rain...

Chill & relax, sir. Life’s too fleeting to be fickle over the small things.

Happy shaves Mr. Guitarslinger..... :001_tt2:

Very gentlemanly.

I’m out. If you’re going to bully me about a soap and treat me like a five year old, I’m done.

Putting product cost aside, I won't be purchasing any more GD soaps for 2 reasons.
1) A&E, M&M and WK soaps offer better performance (IMO)
2) Seriously off putting scents. I know that scent appeal is subjective but to my nose GD soaps range from almost tolerable to distractingly unpleasant...I am being kind here.

On the bright side...there is one less person you need to compete with for that coveted tub!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
This whole free shipping tangent is pretty silly. There is NO free. Either shipping is a line item, or it's built into the price. You either agree to the total price or you don't.

Given how attached some of you seem to be to these soaps I imagine the demand curve is pretty inelastic in the first place.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Speaking as someone who has used the much more expensive Sebum Gold, and a sample of Grooming Department's serum, I can say that there is very little difference between these two products.

That is a huge acknowledgement of GD's efforts, as Sebum Gold is now the only aftershave I use. It has completely replaced all other balms and splashes for me. It is that good.

I am planning to order GD when I run out of Sebum.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Speaking as someone who has used the much more expensive Sebum Gold, and a sample of Grooming Department's serum, I can say that there is very little difference between these two products.

That is a huge acknowledgement of GD's efforts, as Sebum Gold is now the only aftershave I use. It has completely replaced all other balms and splashes for me. It is that good.

I am planning to order GD when I run out of Sebum.

Top Bottom