What's new

Grooming Dept club

The part of GD I don't care for is the same issue as others have mentioned, some of the soaps get used up VERY quickly. I reached the bottom of a tub of Aether after 6 shaves with synthetic brush and light loading, as well as a tub of Wonderland after just 5 shaves under the same circumstances
Holy mackerel! This can't be right. I wrote something mildly sceptical about artisan soaps recently where I used the figure of 6-8 weeks of use as evidence of their expense, as opposed to many months for a traditional hard milled soap.

If you look at the ingredients lists of some of these soaps, it's clear that they're edsentially creams in everything but name. Perhaps they should be used like creams? If you were to dig a brush into a tub of Trumpers cream and swirl the brush for a minute+ as though it were a hard soap, I'm sure it would be depleted quickly as well.

If your particular tubs of artisan soaps are soft enough to be manipulated like a cream, placing an almond sized quantity onto a brush or into a bowl, try that.

Dragonsbeard is also priced at over $25.

I understand the price competition. I also understand that the ingredients going into products vary in what they cost the manufacturer. My understanding is Dragonsbeard is loaded with expensive ingredients added to be of specific benefit to the skin.

The competition I care about at the moment is quality - post-post shave combined with slickness, ghost lather, and all the other attributes I care about in a shaving soap. That's not me saying price is unimportant to me.

If M&M is as good a many gentlemen say it is it should be a formidable competitor particularly when price is factored in.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As long as the performance is top notch, I do not worry too much about the price. However, I recently tried the new Gentleman's Nod tallow soap priced at $27. It was an excellent soap, but at $27, I expect an outstanding soap.

If you have not yet tried Murphy and McNeil, you are missing out. At the current pricepoint, it is one of the best values available. It meets all the performance criteria you are looking for at a reasonable price.

Holy mackerel! This can't be right. I wrote something mildly sceptical about artisan soaps recently where I used the figure of 6-8 weeks of use as evidence of their expense, as opposed to many months for a traditional hard milled soap.

If you look at the ingredients lists of some of these soaps, it's clear that they're edsentially creams in everything but name. Perhaps they should be used like creams? If you were to dig a brush into a tub of Trumpers cream and swirl the brush for a minute+ as though it were a hard soap, I'm sure it would be depleted quickly as well.

If your particular tubs of artisan soaps are soft enough to be manipulated like a cream, placing an almond sized quantity onto a brush or into a bowl, try that.

I agree. That worked for me with the one rapidly depleting GDept soap I have. I actually weighed the amount and was surprised at how much lather I got from so little soap. A bit more than an almond for me (2.7g; I don't have the softest water), but very competative with other brands.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-9-6_17-10-36.png

You've used this term a few times, but I don't recall seeing it elsewhere. What are you describing? Thanks!

Bob

Ah, it's what some call residual glide. You know how it goes...You lather up and run the blade across an area. Then without adding more lather you slide and glide the edge across your skin another time or two. All goes well because of the ghost lather.

I didn't make it up. Where I picked it up I have no clue except somewhere on B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I didnt mean for my post to be critical of Grooming Dept as they are amazing products, but have noticed how incredibly fast i have reached the bottom of several tubs. As a result i have started scooping and bowl lsthering with their soaps in particular. Just thought i would add my experience as being a similar result.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The complaint doesn't seem that justified imo. Not enough soap in the tub or cost is too much. You clearly cant keep everyone happy as his soaps sell out like hot cakes he doesn't imo have to come here to defend himself imo
To what complaint are you referring?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Good answer. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

If you are worried about GD soap going down the drain too quickly I would suggest you buy the pre-shave balm. This stuff turns every soap into a great soap, it will last you years and it leaves your skin feeling great. I was having a rough week of shaves and then I used the pre-shave and suddenly my skin was nice and smooth.
Highly recommended (the soaps are great too but I think you will get more mileage for your $$$s with the pre-shave).

If you are worried about GD soap going down the drain too quickly I would suggest you buy the pre-shave balm. This stuff turns every soap into a great soap, it will last you years and it leaves your skin feeling great. I was having a rough week of shaves and then I used the pre-shave and suddenly my skin was nice and smooth.
Highly recommended (the soaps are great too but I think you will get more mileage for your $$$s with the pre-shave).

I completely agree with this. I’ve been using the preshave for a couple of days and it’s really great. It’s going to take me forever just to get through 1 tub.

I was looking today and thinking the donut in mine is growing slowly, so I compared a few different tubs and the GD tub seems to have a higher than normal center hump... so maybe the donut hole appearing soon is partially caused there.

Either way like I’ve said already my only disappointment is not being able to just ask the google to find me some more right now. I don’t think Mo had to touch his pricing or product volume, just make me some more soap before my first tub is gone please!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's not hard to sell out when you only release 50 tubs per release per soap!!
That's actually a lot considering he's probably a one man or few man operation and he stocks many different soaps. 10 types x 50 is 500 soaps or did you mean 50 in totality. Big difference. Demand is fairly high as there seems to be a really strong following here. I hope he capitalizes on that as it may be fleeting. I say that because there does seem to be some "flavor of the day" with regard to artisan soaps. Nancy Boy was all the rage once and barely talked about now. GD may go the same way.

That's actually a lot considering he's probably a one man or few man operation and he stocks many different soaps. 10 types x 50 is 500 soaps or did you mean 50 in totality. Big difference. Demand is fairly high as there seems to be a really strong following here. I hope he capitalizes on that as it may be fleeting. I say that because there does seem to be some "flavor of the day" with regard to artisan soaps. Nancy Boy was all the rage once and barely talked about now. GD may go the same way.

As fickle as many of us are and our constant pursuit of the next big thing as has been stated, sadly this will be the fate of many of the artisans we have today. This is true of almost any “niche”, and I use that word lightly, market that is very favorable to artisan participation.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Top Bottom