What's new

Grit equivalents for polishes

There really isn't a direct comparison to, say, the grit of the whetstones we use.
IIRC, Blue Magic stated their regular tub is 400 grit. Obviously it doesn't cut like a 400x Chosera.
It's like trying to give a grit rating to toothpaste....

I have a water based so called nono polish (Gtechniq P1 Nano Composite Polish). I am not sure if nano means sub micron particle, or if it is just marketing.
I diluted it in a small spray bottle and did some testing. It actually did quite well.
I also used it on a stone to see if it had any cutting power. I was quite surprised how well it cut. It did not leave a grate edge though.
I newer got around to test it on a fabric substrate.
The abrasive particles are said to be shaped like garnets. Unlike some other automotive polishes, this is not a diminishing abrasive. I.e. it is not supposed to breake down from coarse to fine.

Are you looking for polish for razor steel or thinking of stropping paste?

Polishes are highly proprietary about the grit and grit size. It is not just about grit size, but also what the grit(s) are that determine finish ability.

I use 3M marine and Mothers for cleaning and light polish, Maas and Novus for finish polishing. As with all things polishing, it all depends on the prep work.

I have used all for stropping paste and find they leave a harsh shaving edge, but work well as a finish paste for tool edges.

I am looking for polishes to take out scratches on the razor face and back surface. I have a few razors that are in excellent condition, in that they have not been ruined on a stone. But they have scratches and Devil's Spit that I want to remove. I also have some scratch pens that I can use. So I am looking for an aggressive paste, as I do not want to sand.

I've polished water marks off with diamond paste before on a cotton pad but don't know if that's aggressive enough for what you want.

For spit and deeper scratches, I've used diamond pastes and greaseless compounds on cotton wheels.
It works but I don't like the look. Eastwood, 80-220x. Expensive and it doesn't keep well.

Top Bottom