What's new

Griddle-Q decisions, need some help & suggesions

So after recently upgrading a few items for my grilling needs (Thermapen, Maverick etc), I have decided I want a nice griddle for the BBQ.

I have always lusted after a Griddle-Q, but shied away from the price. Knowing how well they are made, lifetime warranty and how versatile they appear to be, I want one.

Looking at both price and function, it appears the 1/2 Griddle GQ120 would best suit me needs. It will allow me to use 1/2 the grill for meat and 1/2 for onions, eggs or whatever else I can throw on the Griddle.

When I first started looking, they were build with the cut out handles, but recently switched and are now branded "Little Griddle", but appear to be the same size, build quality, warranty...but have switched the handle design.

Not sure I like the idea of "removable handles" as they will get lost, loose and just look plain awkward. I have an email in to the maker to see if they have any "old stock", but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience. In the video, the handles appear to be bolted on, which would be fine but it doesn't appear to be an option and might be a custom mod done after-market.

Thoughts, experience, suggestions are welcome.

New Model Design:
$GQ120-2.jpg

Original Design:
$GQ-120-500x500.jpg
Handle Bolted on in video:
$Untitled picture.png

Website Description:

For ultimate versatility with professional-quality results, the half-size Little Griddle Professional Series GQ-120 griddle is the ultimate in outdoor cookware. Made from heavy gauge stainless steel and engineered to the highest standards, the GQ-120 creates a griddle space on half of your grill, while keeping half of the grate space free for conventional grilling.

Crafted from 100% stainless steel, our Professional Series features a full-width grease trough and generous sidewalls, as well as underside cross-bracing to promote even heating. New for 2013, removable handles fasten securely and make transporting it simple to move, and remove easily for cleaning.

Fun to cook on and simple to clean right on the grill, our Professional Series griddles deliver gourmet results to the serious outdoor cook.

Specifications:
Material - 100% Stainless Steel
Dimensions (Without Handles) - 12.5" W x 16.0" D x 4.0" H
Dimensions (Handles Attached) - 14.0" W x 16.0" D x 6.5" H
Weight - 11.0 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, these Griddle-Q's were all the range years back on a BBQ forum I frequented.

Even Griddle-Q has not responded to my questions via their contact page, Amazon had no clue as to why they show two different listings for the same item with different prices and conflicting descriptions. I have put in a direct email asking this morning, so hope to hear back. If they reply back with an option to "bolt" on the removeable handles as shown above, it may be the one I go for. Having no cut outs on the side must have an advantage to being able to scrap the food and use the edge and not loose any out the slots.

Maybe a Griddle-Q is not the wisest upgrade for me at this time...we'll see. I thought they still had at least a small following for Breakfast on the BBQ or doing patty melts and other items.

Don't get me wrong, I still want one...and once I start posting pics of BBQ'd fried rice, Patty Melts, Pancakes and Eggs done on an outdoor grill, all you guys are going to want one! :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I have on of the original designed ones and I really like it. It's the one reason I still have my gas grill, as I use my Big Green Egg for everything else. Mine is built like a tank and should last a lifetime. I would totally recommend one, assuming that the company hasn't skimped on materials with the newer design.

I used my a lot, when I first got it, but my current diet is all that conducive to griddle style foods. I'm sure I can cook veggies and what not, but somehow I always end up making Philly cheese-steaks or smash burgers on Texas Toast...mmmm...butter!

Thanks Steve,

They have yet to reply to my contact form or my email, so my confidence in them is not the highest right now. All I really want to know is, if I can secure the handles like in the video. I do NOT want handle that are latched in and removable and will get lost with my other BBQ accessories.

From what I hear (and you say) the old ones were built like tanks and true commercial grade. Apparently the new ones are too and are build with a sturdy grade of Steel, lifetime warranty (if they will reply). They have also introduced a less expensive home model too, called the Sizzle-Q, which I am not interested in at this time.

What I'd really like to find is an original Griddle-Q in the 1/2 size and am still actively looking and inquiring online but the new model will do, if I can confirm the handle situation.

Last edited:

Funny thing is, those are what started my whole inquiry about the handles. I put a request in to Amazon asking what the differences are as they both show the OLD version with CUT OUT handles.

They told me the listings are incorrect and both would come with Detachable handles. Even thought they show cut outs and one even says cut outs. So basically, they both have the wrong pic, one has a wrong description, they are identical part numbers and items, ship from the same place but have different prices. Way to go Amazon.:bored:

The mfg has not gotten back to my questions. :thumbdown

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Funny thing is, those are what started my whole inquiry about the handles. I put a request in to Amazon asking what the differences are as they both show the OLD version with CUT OUT handles.

They told me the listings are incorrect and both would come with Detachable handles. Even thought they show cut outs and one even says cut outs. So basically, they both have the wrong pic, one has a wrong description, they are identical part numbers and items, ship from the same place but have different prices. Way to go Amazon.:bored:

The mfg has not gotten back to my questions. :thumbdown

Bummer! :sad:

Well, it turns out social media is good for something after all.

Now to order up a GQ-120 $smiley_bbq.gif

Bruce, we're very sorry that you seem to be having a hard time reaching us.

Regarding this question, handles on our GQ-120 and GQ-230 Professional Series griddles are removable stainless steel handles affixed through the griddle sidewall with an acorn nut. They are designed to remove for easy cleaning.

Hopefully this is the information that you were looking for. If you have further concerns please let us know; you can reach our office directly at 248-844-3900 (M-F 8 am – 5 pm) and by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Little Griddle

I just may have one of those by the end of the summer, myself...

are you thinking full size or 1/2 size?

I am going 1/2 as I like the idea of searing or cooking onions on it, warming buns etc and still having access to the grill.

Amazon seems to be the best price, but make sure you check around as even amazon has different prices on same item.

are you thinking full size or 1/2 size?

I am going 1/2 as I like the idea of searing or cooking onions on it, warming buns etc and still having access to the grill.

Amazon seems to be the best price, but make sure you check around as even amazon has different prices on same item.

I'd be definitely only needing the half size for home... but man, the full size would be great for camping, where I am often cooking for 14-18 adults, plus the random child or two...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Can the gents who use one comment on the utility with a Green Egg? Looks like it would take up the whole space, not sure why I would use it with a stove about 15 feet away. What advantage does this have over a cast iron pan, square or round, put onto the grill?

Usually I like grill gadgets, but just am not "getting" this one ..

Can the gents who use one comment on the utility with a Green Egg? Looks like it would take up the whole space, not sure why I would use it with a stove about 15 feet away. What advantage does this have over a cast iron pan, square or round, put onto the grill?

Usually I like grill gadgets, but just am not "getting" this one ..

The one gent who has the green egg said he uses the Griddle-Q on his gas grill, not on the green egg.

In general, I'd say the advantage is a large flat solid cooking surface outdoors instead of on the stove in the house... I can see using it for veggies to put on your sausages you are grilling, or if you are avoiding being in the kitchen and cooling the whole meal outside it expands your options.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, got that, if you have a large gasser that is remote from your kitchen. Guess it is different cooking styles and objectives. My favorite part of cooking outside is the sear and char, smoke, that would be mostly blocked by that contraption. When I do sausage & peppers I grill the onions and pepper whole over the fire. My grill is flat.

Now if you have to be outside, a griddle makes sense. But a cast iron square griddle pan is a much cheaper, and more versatile option. Stainless is not a good option for high heat cooking, and won't look any better than the grill when you put it on one.

They also make a round one, so that would be the one for a BGE.

I see the advantages like Dustin mentioned....not heat up the house, larger cooking surface then cast, easy to clean, grease catching tray and the 1/2 size only takes 1/2 the grill space so you can still grill meat next to it.

it will also cooking breakfast foods outside, frying up veggies, toasting buttered buns for greasy hot dogs.

They have been around a while now and are quite popular on some grilling forums and it has been on my want to try list for a few years now. I don't think it will block the smoke and when I use my cheapo, warped version of it now, it still gets a smokey BBQ flavour.

It may turn out to be a bust and only used a few times a year...or it may turn into a BBQ staple and used regularly....we'll see.

Last edited:
Ok, got that, if you have a large gasser that is remote from your kitchen. Guess it is different cooking styles and objectives. My favorite part of cooking outside is the sear and char, smoke, that would be mostly blocked by that contraption. When I do sausage & peppers I grill the onions and pepper whole over the fire. My grill is flat.

Now if you have to be outside, a griddle makes sense. But a cast iron square griddle pan is a much cheaper, and more versatile option. Stainless is not a good option for high heat cooking, and won't look any better than the grill when you put it on one.

Definitely different styles and objectives. I know in the warm weather, I don't like standing over the stove, and my patio is actually a bit larger to work with than my kitchen. lol

I have an original GQ260 large griddle with the cutout handles.
I love it except for the cutouts. Food at times gets pushed through them.

I have an original GQ260 large griddle with the cutout handles.
I love it except for the cutouts. Food at times gets pushed through them.

Well, that's great to know. I was actually trying to source out the old ones until earlier today when they actually replied.

The pics of the new ones, 2012/13 on, have the removable handles that get bolted on with nuts and a bolt. So there would be a little ridge there, but no opening for food to escape.

Glad to hear you enjoy it. I hope to be ordering the 1/2 size tomorrow.

Top Bottom