What's new

Grapefruit Pies

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just starting the "baking" of 4 grapefruit pies. I had to do something with the last of the grapefruits from my back yard!
4 pie crusts have been baked, the filling is cooking, and I am about to start preparing the grapefruits.
I will post photos of the finished product

martym

IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
No need to post photos of pie crusts. We all know what they look like. Here's a pic of the filling that I have in the fridge cooling and one pic of the grapefruit wedges. They are also in the fridge cooling.
Once the filling has set up a bit I will fold in the grapefruit meat, fills the pie crusts, place the pies in the fridge, and then let them set up overnight.
The next photo will be the four pies filled to the top and about to go in the fridge for the night.

martym

IMG_0533.JPG
Going in the fridge now.
Hopefully I will remember to take a pic in the morning of at least one pie. They will look the same though.
They are delicious!!!

martym

Thanks! They really are easy.
Yes! I remember throwing it your way.
You are always welcome to share it!
The filling tasted awesome!!
I probably did 20 or so grapefruit pies this season!
They are my favorite pie!

Here is Marty's Recipe:

1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups cold water
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/8th teaspoon salt
1-3oz box strawberry jello
5 or 6 grapefruit
9" baked pie crust

Add sugar, corn starch, and salt to cold water. Place on stove and heat until thick. Stir constantly to prevent lumps. Once it is THICK, stir in box of Jello until it dissolves. Remove from heat and chill in freezer until mixture begins to set. Just like when adding fruit to Jello.

While mixture is setting: With sharp knife cut the bottoms and tops off each grapefruit so they stand flat. Now, cut the peel off them so there is no "white" left. Once done, cut out grapefruit wedges and place the "meat" in a colander to drain making sure there is no skin or seeds. Just the Meat!!
Once Jello mixture is almost set, fold in grapefruit. I have found the more grapefruit I use the better the pies. If it fails to set, this is due to the fact you did not cook the cornstarch mixture long enough.

Serve with whip cream.

Here is Marty's Recipe:

1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups cold water
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/8th teaspoon salt
1-3oz box strawberry jello
5 or 6 grapefruit
9" baked pie crust

Add sugar, corn starch, and salt to cold water. Place on stove and heat until thick. Stir constantly to prevent lumps. Once it is THICK, stir in box of Jello until it dissolves. Remove from heat and chill in freezer until mixture begins to set. Just like when adding fruit to Jello.

While mixture is setting: With sharp knife cut the bottoms and tops off each grapefruit so they stand flat. Now, cut the peel off them so there is no "white" left. Once done, cut out grapefruit wedges and place the "meat" in a colander to drain making sure there is no skin or seeds. Just the Meat!!
Once Jello mixture is almost set, fold in grapefruit. I have found the more grapefruit I use the better the pies. If it fails to set, this is due to the fact you did not cook the cornstarch mixture long enough.

Serve with whip cream.
Thank you for the recipe, that sounds delicious! Now I need to get some nice ruby red grapefruit.

martym

The ones I use are Rio Star grapefruits.
But only because my tree is a Rio Star.
Thanks for posting the recipe Tony.

Is there a way to post it in the recipe section here in the mess hall?

Top Bottom