What's new

Got my first gash

I was rinsing my blade off mid-shave and wasn’t paying attention and then boom! Got a gash on my finger. I lost a lot of blood and walked out to ask my daughter to get me a bandaid Stat.

I was attempting to finish the shave after the cut when I started to feel dizzy at the sink. I had to lay down outside my bathroom with lather on my face still. My daughter asked, “Are you ok, Daddy?” I said, “I’m fine, just felt like I was about to pass out.”

After a few minutes I stood back up to finish my pass. All in all, the shave wasn’t bad but man, it makes you a tad more wary next time.

Oh my!
That is one of the worst fears of shaving come true.

I know when a deep cut occurs it bleeds and hardly anything works at the moment.

I like to keep a thick cloth, styptic pencil or bands handy and most importantly keeping the area where cut occurred at higher level may help.

It must have cut something important for bleeding to be this serious, I hope you recover from the cut and this bad experience soon.

Was it a Straight razor or Single Edge razor like Artist Club or a DE razor?

I got a deep cut with Feather Artist Club razor on my chin due to bad angle of shave and I can still remember the sound of the flesh being cut deep, I felt "Ghost pain" whenever the razor went over the area long after the wound healed.

I was rinsing my blade off mid-shave and wasn’t paying attention and then boom! Got a gash on my finger. I lost a lot of blood and walked out to ask my daughter to get me a bandaid Stat.

I was attempting to finish the shave after the cut when I started to feel dizzy at the sink. I had to lay down outside my bathroom with lather on my face still. My daughter asked, “Are you ok, Daddy?” I said, “I’m fine, just felt like I was about to pass out.”

After a few minutes I stood back up to finish my pass. All in all, the shave wasn’t bad but man, it makes you a tad more wary next time.
I can empathize with you. The deepest cuts I’ve had have not been on my face while shaving but on not being cognizant of where my free hand was.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I cut my fingers occasionally honing razors. A definite “ouch”.

Hope it heals quickly..

Yesterday, I was honing in hand with a narrow hone and nipped the base of my palm apparently a few times. Noticed one immediately, dont ask me how, but the others only when i applied some aftershave later. It looks like 5 or 6 edge kisses. /Smh

I’m getting way too relaxed and complacent. I can’t remember when I last time I nicked myself. This is a good reminder of how things can turn ugly in an instant. It’s easy to forget just how much damage these blades can do when you use them everyday.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to play with sharp objects, myself included at times.

My last SR cut was to the bone. Luckily it was on the top of a finger. Had to do a bit of work on the edge to bring it back to my shave-ready standard.

Twice I cut my finger while handling a SR. But after years of sharpening knives I alway keep some superglue (cyanoacrylate) and paper towels around. They actually use a medical (sterile) superglue in the hospitals now. Superglue and a small bit of paper towel works very well as a field bandage. You can wash with it and eventually it just falls off.

Worst cut I had was while doing a HHT. The hair got shorter and shorter and a moment of carelessness caused me to chop my left index finger from the side, through the nail to the bone, almost managed to chop clean throughout a quarter inch of my finger tip.

My dear wife immediately went into a hysterical tirade about how stupid I am, and how she knew it was only a matter of time before I cut myself. It took a while to calm her down and explain that she could shout all she wants, after fetching me a band-aid.

Lesson learned - Don't expect sympathy from your better half when you are clearly doing something dangerous and get hurt. They don't care for the intricacies of edge quality or the importance of testing it.

Top Bottom