What's new

Got a Roll's

Not sure if this is the right forum, since this beastie is kind of a safety razor and kind of a straight, but my father gave me his old Roll's Razor today and I find myself totally intrigued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor

Anyone have experience with these? How often should I be whetting it? I know I strop it after every shave.

The rolls razor is my favourite razor and if I didnt have to travel for work it would probably be my only razor.
Wetting the in case hone isnt recommended or needed. Really the wiki is full of great info for the rolls.
I hone using the 4-way method and think its the best way at it. I strop before and after the shave. Before to prep the blade for the shave, and after to dry it completely. I only strop 2 ways of the 4-way method. normally have to re-hone my blade every 5 days.
And I just use leather conditioning oil (cant remember the name, I know its an older bottle unsure if it is still made), don't see the need for strop dressing with my rolls, but can't really say too much and it. Never used it.

I am very surprised that you don't know what the OP means by whetting!

The Trade Mark of Rolls Razors is "The Whetter", somone sharpening a blade

Definition of whet

verb (whets, whetting, whetted)

[with object]
  • 1sharpen the blade of (a tool or weapon):her husband is whetting his knife

Top Bottom