What's new

Got a new toy!

Picked up this beauty yesterday for 6 bucks locally. It's my first single edge so any recommendations to blades would be helpful only one store carries them here and they are generic( not interested). I would also take any friendly advice on shaving with it. $IMAG0039.jpg$IMAG0038.jpg

Nice grab. About the blades, you can get the CVS brand but they are not stainless steel. So you have to wipe them dry after each shave or they will get rusty. Some Walgreens carry GEM stainless blades but not all. You can get the GEM stainless on Amazon also.
That looks like a nice razor but I'm not too familiar with Star. I think it shaves like an EverReady 1912, med mild.
Let us know how you like it when you take it for spin.

I buy GEM stainless PTFE coated blades from connaught shaving. Their price for a 100 pack is reasonable, and the shipping isn't outrageous. Their customer service is excellent.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of single edge shaving!

American Safety Razor (ASR) acquired Kampfe Bros. Star and Gem Cutlery Co. in 1919. Some time in the 1930's ASR decided to use the Ever-Ready brand for razors produced in their British plant, and introduced a 1912 style razor with the Star brand in the US. This razor is virtually identical to the Gem 1912's produced during that period except for the brand marking and a slightly different handle, and thus will shave the same as the Gem - which is to say, very well indeed.

As others have mentioned, the Gem stainless steel blades are probably your best choice. Do not attempt to use blades from a hardware store - they do not have a shaving quality edge.

--Bob

You picked a great SE for a first try. Find some GEM stainless, most likely at Walgreens, they carry packs of 10. Make sure you keep the head pretty much flat to your face and listen for a sound like toast being buttered. Once you hit the sweet spot, it becomes almost instinctual. Happy shaving!

I can't do sound due to being half deaf but I will definitely do the flat thing. As for blades I'm considering the 4 pack from try a blade.

Well blades finally came in and I threw in the Pal carbon steel blade and I have to admit the razor mowed down a lot more than I thought it would. However after my shave I got some serious burn from my Pinaud Clubman! Im thinking definitely I need to work on a proper stroke to take more down at once so I am not needing as many passes.I decided to toss the blade as I bought two sample packs which I intend to work through once while im learning the razor and then the second pack will be my sort of second chance on the blades to make a real opinion of them. If you guys are interested take a vote on which I should use next: Pal Blue Carbon, TREET Super,Gem PTFE, GEM Stainless Steel.

Don't use much pressure. Just a light touch will do it. The first time I shaved with an ER 1912 I thought it was very mild but about 30 minutes after I was done, I could feel irritation all over my face. I think I pressed too hard.
I have good luck with GEM Stainless Steel blades.

Top Bottom