What's new

Good - mild tobacco for a newbie pipe smoker

Orlik Golden is an easy going, light VA, but like most tobaccos blended in the EU (not Britain, mind you), it has a unnatural taste from the topping. Because of this, I have pretty much stopped smoking mixtures blended in Europe. I do not recommend OTC mixtures, though they are beloved by those who smoke them. I would recommend Frog Morton to the novice smoker. This is a smoke that doesn't require a lot from the smoker. That's important since you are just starting out. You can read some reviews about it here:
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=F&TID=768

I'm looking to try out pipe smoking and have recently secured a pipe and was wondering what tobaccos I should be looking into. Leave it to B&B to already have th question answered for me. I'm thinking I'll spring for some Frog Morton to try out. Very much looking forward to this experience and I'll be sure to report back with my experiences!

What is a good starter blend for a newbie to just geting started on pipe smoking?

Peterson's Luxury Blend, easy to handle.

Attachments

• $pfeifentabak_peterson_luxury_blend.jpg
    $pfeifentabak_peterson_luxury_blend.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 58
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this is quite related...

I acquired my first pipe last night and am now looking at getting my first pipe tobacco. From the reviews, it seems like I'd love something like Frog Morton, but I'm very hesitant to purchase a full tin (with shipping, even a small tin is around $15). So I was curious if there was anywhere I could order a sample of it or something so I could try it out before plopping down $15.

I've only ever seen Frog Morton in tins, but McClelland No 5110 Dark English is supposed to be nearly identical, and there are several places you can order only an ounce sample. It should give you a good idea of if you'll like it or not, and you can order some more bulk samples along with it to figure out what you like.

I've only ever seen Frog Morton in tins, but McClelland No 5110 Dark English is supposed to be nearly identical, and there are several places you can order only an ounce sample. It should give you a good idea of if you'll like it or not, and you can order some more bulk samples along with it to figure out what you like.

Ah. I'll look around for that blend and see what I can find. I wish the B&Ms around here had more than just a bunch of random aromatics. Never seen a tin of anything in them. :(

Ah. I'll look around for that blend and see what I can find. I wish the B&Ms around here had more than just a bunch of random aromatics. Never seen a tin of anything in them. :(

My B&M is like that too for pipe tobacco, except for a few tins of Savinelli, Dunhill, and Frog Morton. Look at the bulk tobacco there and see if they have any english blends. If you are a medium/full flavored cigar smoker, you'll probably like them. And yes, the Dunhill 965 is good.

Top Bottom