What's new

Good - mild tobacco for a newbie pipe smoker

Assuming you live in the US, no reason not to get started with one of the American over the counter classics such as Cater Hall, Price Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh. They should be readily available at your local Rite Aid, or Walgreens for very little coin. :thumbup1:

What have you selected for your first pipe?

When I was making my initial foray into pipes, I wanted to start with something with a flavor profile similar to cigars (my preferred tobacco delivery vehicle at the time). I found that with the McClelland Dominican Glory.

From Tobacco Reveiws: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The flavor of a fine, mild cigar in a satisfying tobacco for the pipe. This blend of premium aged Dominican cigar leaf is seasoned with Matured Virginia for balance and refinement and is presented in a wide ribbon form for cool smoking pleasure. For the best of both worlds, enjoy Dominican Glory in the pipe."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now the truth is that the tobacco is very mild and does smoke dry and cool - but the full bodied cigar taste isnt very pronounced. I still enjoy it, but I started working my way towards more hearty pipe tobaccos - like Frog Morton, Dunhill Nightcap, etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Personally, I found that anything aromatic smelled fantastic in the bag/tin - but smoked like a wet blanket with a buttload of "tongue-burn" from the steam mixed in with the smoke. The aromatics have been regulated to car air-fresheners (placed into a small cloth bag and tucked under a seat - the scent inside the car is that of a mansion's library) [/FONT]

Not that I have a lot of experience, but of the ones I've tried, I'd recommend Savinelli's Cavendish, or Brookfield Black Bourbon.

Personally, I love Peterson's Christmas 2011 blend, but I doubt that's very freely available...

assuming you live in the us, no reason not to get started with one of the american over the counter classics such as cater hall, price albert, or sir walter raleigh. They should be readily available at your local rite aid, or walgreens for very little coin. :thumbup1:

What have you selected for your first pipe?

x2

Not to be contrary, but I don't agree with the OTC recommendations. They are the reason I ever stopped smoking a pipe in the first place. A nice sweet but natural Virginia is my recommendation. Sterling Tobacco has a REALLY great Virginia and Perique, but lots of other places have them too. Some drugstore blends are acceptable, but there is much better out there.

Not to be contrary, but I don't agree with the OTC recommendations. They are the reason I ever stopped smoking a pipe in the first place. A nice sweet but natural Virginia is my recommendation. Sterling Tobacco has a REALLY great Virginia and Perique, but lots of other places have them too. Some drugstore blends are acceptable, but there is much better out there.

I have yet to try Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh, but they do have the reputation of being a step up in quality from other OTC options. Although, I do somewhat agree with you that there are much better cheap and readily available (if you have a computer) options than even those three. Again, I'm basing that on popular opinion; the only OTC tobac I've tried is Capt. Black and Amphora. Even though I've personally turned my back on it, I like the recommendation of Frog Morton's Cellar. It's quality leaf with a mild sweet whiskey casing that smokes cool and dry, and also tastes like it smells in the tin. At the same time, it also gives the new smoker an idea of what English blends can offer without choking him out on a heavy handed Latakia application.

Like Jason mentioned, a mild, naturally slightly sweet Virginia is also a pretty good direction to go in. Another one I don't really care for all that much but might be a good option for a beginner is Orlik Golden Sliced.

I have yet to try Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh, but they do have the reputation of being a step up in quality from other OTC options. Although, I do somewhat agree with you that there are much better cheap and readily available (if you have a computer) options than even those three.

I wouldn't argue that Cater Hall, or Prince Albert are the best tobaccos on the market. But they are locally available for very little coin, and many pipe smokers have smoked them; they are also fairly well respected. That means it is easy to give the new smoker advice, as you understand what they are working with; rather than trying to guess if they are instead working with some unknown house labeled blend.

Pick up a locally available corn cob pipe (Walgreens, and Rite Aid both sell Legends for around $5.) and you can get started in this hobby for a little over $10.

If you decide you dislike pipe smoking, you are not out a lot of investment.

If you destroy your first corn cob pipe, as you learn, no great loss.

Wouldn't you much rather have a newbie cut their teeth on a cheap corncob pipe, rather than destroying a nice Peterson?

Last edited:
Any cavendish blend should be pretty mild and a good starter tobacco. However, if you are already a cigar smoker and used to strong tobacco tastes, you might want to try a Latakia blend. My current favorite is Frog Morton on the Town.

I always recommend Lanes 1Q.
It was my first tobacco and still to this day one of my favorites. It burns pretty well, tastes good, and smells great. If nothing else, its a tobacco that you should try someday.

Totally agree, start with a light Virginia or VAPER and a Latakia-light oriental or English. Drugstore blends aren't my thing, but I'll smoke CH or PA every great once in a while when I'm in the mood...

i posted this in another thread, but a great Virginia/Perique to start with is Rolando's Own, and Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is a great intro to the world of Latakia. Neither blends blow your head off, and they are both easy tobaccos to load and maintain in the pipe.

Last edited:
Some excellent blends listed above, so I'll only make one suggestion. When you're delving into the world of Latakia, don't forget to sample both varieties. One exceptional and well-behaved blend that would be suitable for a new pipe-smoker and is pretty easy to track down is McClelland Three Oaks Syrian (Three Oaks Original is excellent stuff too).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I wouldn't argue that Cater Hall, or Prince Albert are the best tobaccos on the market. But they are locally available for very little coin, and many pipe smokers have smoked them; they are also fairly well respected. That means it is easy to give the new smoker advice, as you understand what they are working with; rather than trying to guess if they are instead working with some unknown house labeled blend.

Pick up a locally available corn cob pipe (Walgreens, and Rite Aid both sell Legends for around $5.) and you can get started in this hobby for a little over $10.

If you decide you dislike pipe smoking, you are not out a lot of investment.

If you destroy your first corn cob pipe, as you learn, no great loss.

Wouldn't you much rather have a newbie cut their teeth on a cheap corncob pipe, rather than destroying a nice Peterson?

Your post is excellent advice John, and is exactly how I got started.

One of my favorite choice's for everyday smoking is Captain Black pipe tobacco. I enjoy the flavor and the wife likes the smell.

Orlik golden slice. My first tobacco I smoked when first started smoke a pipe, a very mild and flavourful tobacco, just picked up 400 oz of the stuff.

Top Bottom