What's new

Good Cheap Knife

I didn't want to keep using my Spyderco or Leatherman for opening bags of rock salt for the water softener because surface rust was an ongoing issue (despite immediately cleaning them). On Walmart's website I found this Saltwater Bait Knife. It reminds me of a Mora. It arrived with a decent edge and as expected the blade is a little roughly finished but for three bucks it's a good deal for a decent utilitarian knife. I leave it outside by the softener. No rust so far but I don't really care if it does rust.

Saltwater Bait Knife (1).jpg

Saltwater Bait Knife (2).jpg

Saltwater Bait Knife (3).jpg

Fish filleting knives are cheap and there very similar to a boning knifes butches use (in shape ) and they are very sharp and most bait knives are ss so sharpening can be an issues at times

Ad Astra

The Instigator
$3, works.

I've been known to buy the Walmart $2 folder on a flying vacation and tossing it in the trash when leaving. Gotta have a knife! Price of a soda!

Moras are awesome, but my latest cheap attraction are the Marttini knives from Finland. Insanely sharp and well made.

AA

It was the cheap price that made me want to try it. I was curious. It's about 1/4 the price of a stainless Mora. And because I do have respect for Moras I wouldn't want to use one on salt and leave it outside.

Those Marttinis look good. And I like their folder.

Marttiini Folding Handy.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Forgot I also have a Spyderco Salt - an excellent knife, but we're going in the wrong price direction.

Never saw the Marttini folder, but urge users to try one of the fixed blades ... Great ergos, too.

AA

I would go for a fish fillet knife, like a Rapala. They come very sharp and with a sheath. Less than ten bucks at Walmart if I recall. I have cleaned all sorts of big mouth, white bass and crappie with Rapalas. Good knife for not much more than what a six of Tallboys cost.

Top Bottom