What's new

Gold Gillette. What did I find today?

On a whim I stopped in to an antique store I was driving by and I found this razor (with the box and one blue blade). What is it?

It cleaned up really well (but now in the picture I noticed some grime I need to remove!) and I'm amazed at the condition it's in.

I guess more importantly... How does it shave?!?!

:badger:

A gold Aristocrat in this condition is a great find. Congrats. Also +1 on the shave shelf. Did you make it yourself?

It looks like a 1955 Aristocrat.
Brent is mostly right...........it's the 1955 dated model that was made after the non dated ones.. It's called a 'Diplomat', and is the later generation Aristocrat. Hehe, the reason I know is that I just got one of those myself last week. Haven't shaved with it yet. Very nice find for you.
Hope you enjoy it,
Martin

Uh fellows...take a closer look. The band just above the bottom knob is knurled making this a Diplomat. The Aristocrat has a smooth band.
Also a give away is the case. This is a Diplomat case.
I have one in my Display case and one in my rotation. It is a fantastic shaver.
Very nice Find. You should be very proud.:001_tt1:

Yes, L. Martino corrected me. Thanks, L.

The handle, however, is identical to the 1947 Aristocrats that I have (no date codes). I'd forgotten that they became Diplomats, later.

The handle, however, is identical to the 1947 Aristocrats that I have (no date codes). I'd forgotten that they became Diplomats, later.

Hmmm, My 47' has a smooth band. The handles is shaped the same with the same knurl pattern.
I'd like to see yours, could you post a picture?

Oops. My bad and apologies. (I'm way off my game today, huh?)

I see the difference now. The ring above the TTO know and below the head on the Diplomat are textured; the same rings on my Aristocrats are lined, but smooth - no texture. Don't know if you can tell from the photo, but here's one pre-cleanup.

proxy.php

Hi Brett,
I'm sure you woulda gotten it right after a little more thought. I've certainly done the same thing myself in the past......heh.
Martin

Hi Brett,
I'm sure you woulda gotten it right after a little more thought. I've certainly done the same thing myself in the past......heh.
Martin

Yes you are right. I've said one thing and an hour later the light bulb went off and I knew I had made the mistake.

No biggie Brett....we got your back....:wink2:

A gold Aristocrat in this condition is a great find. Congrats. Also +1 on the shave shelf. Did you make it yourself?

Thanks! Yes, I made it myself. I'm not the best wood worker in the world but I thought I should put something together to tidy up the bathroom. I think it turned out pretty well. I already wish I would have made it a bit longer so I could put 4 or 5 razors in (ask me that again in a year and I'll say I wish I could put in 10 or 12 razors).

That's it! I'm shaving with it tonight!

I received my Honeybee sampler soaps today so I'll mix up some Bay Rum lather and give it a go.

I'll post back tomorrow :biggrin:

V

VR6ofpain

Thanks! Yes, I made it myself. I'm not the best wood worker in the world but I thought I should put something together to tidy up the bathroom. I think it turned out pretty well. I already wish I would have made it a bit longer so I could put 4 or 5 razors in (ask me that again in a year and I'll say I wish I could put in 10 or 12 razors).
That is some nice work. Totally sweet.

The day after....

I have found my new go-to razor. WOW. I shaved last night (with Susie Bubble's Bay rum soap... YUM) and this morning my wife touched my face and commented how nice it felt.

So far I've shaved (all using Crystals) with a slim adjustable (my 1st razor) and two different flare tip super speeds. At this point I have about 12 DE shaves under my belt.

I've decided the super speeds are just too light. I have to use pressure and it just does not feel right. The slim has a good weight to it and the razor does all the work.

The Diplomat I picked up yesterday is absolutely dreamy. The short handle and heavier head gives it the perfect balance in my hands. I'd love to give a fatboy a try now. I'm sure I'll eventually stumble upon one. I think as soon as I have enough posts the other flare tip super speed will find a new home.

It's kind of funny, I've purchased seven razors so far and I've given away all but three. I found the diplomat yesterday and the first thing I thought was "Maybe I'll actually sell this one rather than give it away." I picked it for the purpose of selling (and recoup the cost of all the razors I've given out) but now after shaving with it there is no way I'm parting with it. This is on the top of the favorites list...

Time to build a new shelf with room for several razors!!!

I really like the shave my Diplomat gives me for the same reasons. In fact it is up for todays shave.
I'll have to post a picture comb in th SOTD thread.
Enjoy your new razor. It will treat you right.

Top Bottom