What's new

Going to the antique store for the first time.

Okay as title says I'm going to the antique store for the first time. What should I be looking for? Should I just browse or should I ask if they have shaving stuff? Is it okay to haggle on price or is the marked price a solid? I'm so used to department stores or the bay. So not sure how to handle it. Also im socially skewed once I leave my kitchen and my knives.

Any help would be appreciated..

Joe

I've found that the thrill of the hunt is more fun than just asking once you walk in the door. I only ask when I come up completely blank. Depending on the store, individual pricing may be up to the specific vendor selling the item, so haggling might be out of the question. Every store is different so it never hurts to ask if you think something is too expensive.

When asking, it's important to simply be respectful. Rather than say "Yeah this razor is way too expensive, can't you sell it for cheaper?" something like "I was interested in this razor, but it seems a bit pricey. Would the seller to any lower?" It's definitely a delicate operation so just be careful.

Good luck! If you find anything cool be sure to post it here. :thumbup1"

Definitely. Ive lived in a town known for it's antique shops fornthe past 7 years. Not once have I ventured in. I hear you about the delicate process. I don't want to offend anyone. It like thus best offer button on the bay. You could lowball all day cuz you'll never see the seller, but its different when its in person. Thanks for the advice.

Joe

I think I'm going to bring pictures of brushes and razors so I can identify them as I search. Either that or I'll take photos as I shop and postmthem here and await replies.. Hehe

I went to several antique stores in my first few weeks of DE saving and found some pretty good stuff. I'd usually start out by asking the people if they had any vintage safety razors and most of them knew if they did or didn't. A few though initally said they didn't, but after browsing around for a while I found one or two razors, brushes, etc.....look for those little glass display cases, from what I've seen that's where they tend to put this kind of stuff. Good luck!

I too have never searched in an actual antique store. However, I have had lots of luck with garage sells, especially estate sells. Here you can usually pick razors up for a few bucks or in my case now, a few euros.

I've found that the thrill of the hunt is more fun than just asking once you walk in the door. I only ask when I come up completely blank. Depending on the store, individual pricing may be up to the specific vendor selling the item, so haggling might be out of the question. Every store is different so it never hurts to ask if you think something is too expensive.

When asking, it's important to simply be respectful. Rather than say "Yeah this razor is way too expensive, can't you sell it for cheaper?" something like "I was interested in this razor, but it seems a bit pricey. Would the seller to any lower?" It's definitely a delicate operation so just be careful.

Good luck! If you find anything cool be sure to post it here. :thumbup1"

I agree with this; plus, if you walk in the door & ask outright, it shows them that you are a "motivated buyer" & they may have a tendency to jack up the price - that is if the prices aren't marked.

Just my theory!

The places I frequent are the kinds where there are a lot of cubicles/booths that are rented from the building owner. And a lot of the time, the assistants don't know too much about what's in all the booths.

Walk around, take your time and you will find stuff they don't even know is there. I figure that all the posted prices are negotiable, and I have found that to be pretty much so. If I see something I like, I ask how firm they are on the price, and adjust my offer accordingly. It's a good idea to see what the razors sell for here given their condition. If the price is way out of whack, like I saw a tech for $75.00, I walk on by.

I have seen razors with knives, cameras, kitchen/bathroom stuff.

I always want to look at any razor with a dial.

Good luck and happy hunting, cause it's a blast.

"If you walk in the door and ask outright it shows them that you are a 'motivated buyer'; they may have a tendency to jack up the price if the items aren't marked."

That, or refuse to come down off a marked price.

Most antique dealers know that shaving stuff is popular.

I haven't bought any razors other than off the internet.

But I've bought a lot of other things that way.

If it was me, I'd just be honest.

If I saw a razor or anything else and thought it was worth what they were asking, I'd buy it and wouldn't try to get it for any lower.

If I thought they were asking too much I'd say, "Yeah, that's nice. I'd be interested but that's more than I'm looking to spend for something like that." Then put it down and be serious about not wanting it.

If they are looking to drop the price and sell it to you, they will.

If they aren't, they won't.

Okay as title says I'm going to the antique store for the first time. What should I be looking for? Should I just browse or should I ask if they have shaving stuff? Is it okay to haggle on price or is the marked price a solid? I'm so used to department stores or the bay. So not sure how to handle it. Also im socially skewed once I leave my kitchen and my knives.

Any help would be appreciated..

Joe

Hiya,

First thing to do is you need to put the store owner on the defensive. Yep, you gotta do a little ice breaking (beating up on) before any haggling begins.

Best way is to say something right away after walking into the place. Maybe something like "Jeeez, smells like my grandmother's basement......phew!". Another good way to set the tone is to mutter (loud enough for the owner to hear) "Man, what a dump!".

Those are two good (and friendly) ways to soften a possible seller up a bit.

Glad to help, and let us know how that works out.

Martin

Oh, there may have been a small amount of facetious material in my post.

Last edited:
I live in California and frequent a lot of Antique stores at about a 50 mile radius.I love the hunt.One of the things I always do is always ask for a 10% discount.Most of the items are on consignment and most dealers allow the sales person to apply this discount.Some dealers apply this only when an item is over a certain amount and some don't.It is never rude to make a fair offer.Some dealers sometimes mark their item high because they are thinking Antique and have no idea what the going prices are.If I find something that is prices too high I almost always let them know respectfully.Never feel intimidated by the prices marked.Offer what you think is fair and go from there.Number one objective is to have fun.If you keep to the hunt I guarantee you will find an endless amount of real treasures at low prices.I've taken a few pics of treasures that I have found and kept for myself.Ive also sold a huge amount of items also.Sorry for the bad pics,new camera and I havent learned how how to use it. So dont give up.Happy hunting and happy shaving

I haggle whenever possible. I also know what I'm willing to spend and perfectly willing to walk away from any possible purchase. Most times a seller won't do stupid lower discounts. A $50 asking price most times won't become a $10 steal. BUT every now and then , it works. You also need to feel out the seller. (I said "out" not "up") you can generally tell with a few seconds or minutes of conversation whether they are willing to haggle. Plus a few minutes of schmoozing after walking in the door will often get the seller on friendly terms and will get you a step closer to friendly bargaining.

So know what you are willing to pay, know roughly what things sell for, and be willing to pay a premium for something you REALLY want. If I find a New long comb in great shape I'd pay more than normal pricing, to a point.

Now get out there and most of all have fun. :001_smile

of course all the places in town are closed on sunday. Arrrgggh. Well at least i am properly educated on antique etiquette thanks to all of you guys, especially L. Martino :p

Razors much like pipes can often be found in drawers . In the bigger malls the woman who often sort the estate sells , just say gross and toss them in drawers . I learned this tip from a estate pipe seller .

Because of Ebay and the internet, most antique dealers know the price of their merchandise. Bargains can be found, but they are increasingly rare.

When in an antique store, I shop in ways I can't over the internet.

In person, I can see hone wear, warped blades, cracked scales, etc. on a straight razor, and can judge for myself brassing on a double edge razor.

I always ask if this razor is a good buy if I were to buy it over the internet at the same price.

Top Bottom