What's new

Going overseas

Hi guys.
I'm heading to Bali in a couple of months to visit my brother. I know I won't find anything nice fountain pen related but my question is more the flight.

I will have plenty of time on the flight to do some writing but I am unsure how to prepare my pen to avoid burps and leaking. Should I bring along a cartridge converter pen like a Safari or something piston filled like my Lamy2000, Pelikan or 580? Maybe a bladder like a 51 or a vac? Or should I use this as an excuse to buy something new :D :p

Thanks guys

Just fill it up (almost) completely, and select a pen with a relatively modern feed design that accommodates for air pressure changes.

Pens that I flew with successfully:
- Lamy 2000
- Sailor 1911
- Parker Sonnet
- Aurora 88
- Pelikan M400
- MB 24

Pens that leaked (just a bit):
- Parker 51 (surprised me!)
- Sheaffer Targa
- Pilot Celemo

Nothing that a tissue couldn't solve though.

I used to be paranoid and keep the pen completely full (or empty), nib up only, etc... but somewhere along the line I got lazy and discovered that the only pen that I have ever had an issue with was a 1/2 full noodler's flex nib that I just tossed in the bag and
did 4 segments in a day (a quick wipe a napkin was all that was needed).

My favorite type of pen to travel with is a vac filler (like the visconti crystal demonstrator) because if you close off the reservoir it is unable to leak. But I also travel with pistons and various converter fills as well and with the exception of the flex nib noodler (that one time) I never seem to have an issue. I tend to have XF or F nibs so that might contribute to why I don't have leaking problems? I normally don't use the pens in flight unless I need to fill out a form or something prior to arrival (Don't use the pen during the climb portion of the flight).

Enjoy Bali.

Top Bottom