What's new

Glycerin

I’ve read that some people add glycerine to their aftershaves and sometimes shave soap. Where can I get glycerine locally and what’s the best deal?

I’d imagine they sell it at Walmart etc, but where in the store would it be?

Wal-Mart used to have a several ounce bottle of it. You can also buy it in bulk on the Internet from places like Essential Depot (who specialize in selling soap making products). Always look for USP grade (99.7% purity).

I always try and stay with American made glycerin, though there are foreign makers who produce to the USP standard. I don't know where Essential Depot gets theirs, though I know it's of high quality. ADM and Dow Chemical are two major American producers of it (though you cannot buy directly from them). Essential Depot used to carry two kinds: Palm derived and Soybean derived. In reality there is no difference - as both are 99.7% pure glycerin. So I would buy whichever is cheapest.

I usually keep a gallon on hand, but I don't use it for soap. I use it to make my own vape juice. Glycerine produces a lot of "vapor" cloud which is why it's used alongside propylene glycol.

Wal-Mart used to have a several ounce bottle of it. You can also buy it in bulk on the Internet from places like Essential Depot (who specialize in selling soap making products). Always look for USP grade (99.7% purity).

I always try and stay with American made glycerin, though there are foreign makers who produce to the USP standard. I don't know where Essential Depot gets theirs, though I know it's of high quality. ADM and Dow Chemical are two major American producers of it (though you cannot buy directly from them). Essential Depot used to carry two kinds: Palm derived and Soybean derived. In reality there is no difference - as both are 99.7% pure glycerin. So I would buy whichever is cheapest.

I usually keep a gallon on hand, but I don't use it for soap. I use it to make my own vape juice. Glycerine produces a lot of "vapor" cloud which is why it's used alongside propylene glycol.
Yeah, I just need a little bottle. I’ll look at Walmart next time I’m there.
Thanks

FWIW, Glycerin is used in pressure gauges to stop the pointer from jiggling too much when there is rapidly fluctuating pressure.
proxy.php

Little bit of trivia there.

FWIW, Glycerin is used in pressure gauges to stop the pointer from jiggling too much when there is rapidly fluctuating pressure.
proxy.php

Little bit of trivia there.

I work in the food industry and we use glycerin to submerge thermometers into, providing a smooth reading of cooler temperatures that store food.

I work in the food industry and we use glycerin to submerge thermometers into, providing a smooth reading of cooler temperatures that store food.
Ah. Sort of a flywheel effect so that you don't get false readings from the door being open or some such?

Top Bottom